PDA

View Full Version : Any one ever use one of these???

Everette Harmon
07-10-2005, 6:15 PM
http://www.woodpeck.com/xtremextension.html

Thanks
Everette

Dave Mapes
07-10-2005, 7:17 PM
Save your money!

I use one for my fixed router that I have mounted in the router table and have found it to be both helpfull and a problem. It makes it a lot easier to change routers bit but sometimes it stands too tall to allow the router bit to be lowered in the table's mount. When that happens you need to remove the extension and insert the router bit in the router collet.

Because of that I have found I hardly use it.

Everette Harmon
07-10-2005, 7:20 PM
Thanks, this one was a little different that one's I've seen in the past. I was doing some work with router today and thought it sure would be nice to replace the bit above the table. I use a plunge router in my table would that make a difference?
Everette

Dave Mapes
07-10-2005, 7:54 PM
Everett

I am not sure! It will extend your bit an extra 1 1/2" to 2". Would that allow the bottom bit to clear the router table and cut the your wood on the bottom without using a riser block of wood.

I was doing rails and stiles on long boards (4 ft ) and could not use a scrap riser block. So I was required to remove the xtreme extension. You may find the extension helpful but I found I was removing it more often than I was using it.

Dave

Jamie Buxton
07-10-2005, 8:27 PM
I'd be a bit cautious about using something like that. In every router I've ever owned (and I can count six off the top of my head) the first point of failure has been the front ball bearing -- that is, the one on the motor at the collet end. Every one fails. Some of them fail many times. (I had a Makita whose front bearing failed so often that I stocked them. I got so practiced that I could field-strip that thing, replace the bearing, and be back making sawdust in 30 minutes.) The front bearing takes terrific shocks. With an extender, there would a longer lever arm which would apply even bigger shocks to the bearing.

Dave Mapes
07-10-2005, 8:34 PM
"With an extender, there would a longer lever arm which would apply even bigger shocks to the bearing."

<!-- / message -->Jamie

That is a good point I had never considered the damage the extra leverage could do. I do not think I will be using my extender again

Everette Harmon
07-11-2005, 4:59 AM
Thanks for the help.
Everette