PDA

View Full Version : Another Inexperienced Woodturner

Rick Simmons
07-10-2005, 5:18 PM
Hi folks, I've been lurking around here for a while now and figure I might as well jump in here with a little project I just completed. I saw it on "Woodturning Techniques" on TV last week and thought it was cool. It's about 10" tall and 5" wide. Feel free to critique.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21552&stc=1

Gary Max
07-10-2005, 5:30 PM
Where in the heck is Mayfeild---I am over by Campbellsville.
Anywho---neat bird house---I know there are a lot of folks collecting them
Oh before I forget---Welcome to the best Dang woodworking web site on the internet.

John Hart
07-10-2005, 6:55 PM
Welcome Rick. Cool Bird Mansion. Hope you enjoy it here!

Ernie Nyvall
07-10-2005, 7:03 PM
Welcome to the Creek Rick.
Birdhouse looks great to me. For a real critique though, you might check with tweetie. :D

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-10-2005, 7:42 PM
Definitely CUTE!

Nice Piece Rick.

Bruce

Rick Simmons
07-10-2005, 8:56 PM
Thanks Guys,

Gary, Mayfield is in the western part of the state, south of Paducah and west of Land Between the Lakes.

Rick

Bill Stevener
07-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Hi Rick,

The water is just fine hear at the Creek, glad you jumped in.

Really neet bird house. Looks like a fun project.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>:)

Mike Ramsey
07-11-2005, 9:45 AM
Rick,
Great job on the bird house, is the bottom removable? What finish did you use? Been thru Mayfield many times when I lived In Greenville back in the late 70's, you have some beautiful country up there.

David Wilson
07-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Rick,
Welcome aboard. Nice job on the birdhouse. I've built sinilar ones but have started using deer antler for the pirches.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=17386&stc=1

Rick Simmons
07-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks again Guys,

Mike, the bottom on this one is not removable but my intentions for it is for decoration only. The finish is a few coats of TruOil gunstock finish and only because it was real handy and easy to apply, but it looks pretty good.

David, I like your birdhouses too, I particularly like the detail on the roofs.

Rick

David Wilson
07-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Rick
The shingle detail on my houses is done with a woodburner. It hides the seams in the top assy. I might have to try the barrel shape you use. It looks great.

Keith Burns
07-11-2005, 7:43 PM
From another new guy.......Looks good to me. My Mother in law collects birdhouses, may try one for her. I for one know where Mayfield is as Kendor and Uptons Cabinets are customers of mine. I sold them their Dust Collection systems.

"Don't make me choose between love and tools" :D