PDA

View Full Version : We Need A No-Message Capability

Howard Rosenberg
02-17-2003, 9:36 PM
on the Pond, we could just type our answer in the subject line and NM would appear at the end. I tried that here and it didn't work; tried typing in spaces using the space bar but by now, the system was onto me and STILL wouldn't let me go. Anyway, my 2C. Howard

Keith Outten
02-17-2003, 9:46 PM
NM

Jon Blacker
02-17-2003, 10:05 PM
With this forum's format, all of the replies are opened when you enter into the thread, unlike the Pond where you have to open each reply individually.

I am a member of another forum that uses the same software as this, and it works great. I much prefer being able to simply scroll through the entire thread without having to open the replies one-by-one.

If you were to enter your reply in the subject line, it really wouldn't get you any farther ahead or save you any time.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-17-2003, 10:37 PM
Jon, isn't Howard saying you can't post without putting something in the big box in the middle? no just in the subject line?

Patrick Smith
02-17-2003, 10:54 PM
I think that's what he's saying... the big difference between here and BP is that at BP, the message had to open a new window or bring up a different page, so *NM* was important so one didn't waste time.

Here, everything loads up on a single page and titles (subjects) aren't necessary - they are optional. Hit 'reply' to this post and scroll to the bottom - see Keith Outten's NM? That was in the body, not the subject.

So I guess the short version of that is if you want to make an NM post, use the body (reply) box and don't worry about the subject :p
Patrick

Ruby in NC
02-18-2003, 6:04 AM
I posted a no text message by entering a . (period) in the body. Seemed to work OK.

Regards,
Ruby

Jon Blacker
02-18-2003, 7:41 AM
Originally posted by Dennis McDonaugh
Jon, isn't Howard saying you can't post without putting something in the big box in the middle? no just in the subject line?

That's how I read it, but again, as this forum opens all replies into one page, there's no need for a "NM" capability in the Subject Line: You can post with a blank Subject Line and simply make your comment in the body.

Jason Roehl
02-18-2003, 8:18 AM
Originally posted by Jon Blacker
That's how I read it, but again, as this forum opens all replies into one page, there's no need for a "NM" capability in the Subject Line: You can post with a blank Subject Line and simply make your comment in the body.

Hmm...didn't think that would work. Guess it does!

Jason

Keith Outten
02-18-2003, 12:43 PM
You can insert MN or just a period in the message body and put *NM* in the title.

Remember we do have the new Badger Pond style thread listing for those who prefer the old style listing and the NM still has meaning for those who use it. (see attached pic)

Mike Brewster
02-18-2003, 9:05 PM
You can view the threads at the Pond in a format very similar to this boards. If you go to the preference page on the Pond or WC, you can select one of the "guestbook" variations and you can scroll an entire thread at once. There are a couple of downsides-you don't see the number of views for instance. I've viewed the Pond this way for years.

Mike