PDA

View Full Version : Up and Running

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2005, 4:31 PM
This maybe a baby gloat or for me a big one. I got the dust collector up and running after being on vacation delivering the rocking horse I finished to the grandson which he loved to death. Anyway my air compressor shot a hole thru the tank about a month ago. Sears wanted $154 plus shipping for a new tank. Well I got a new compressor from Harbor Freight. It is a 8 gal., 2.5 hp rated, has 5.6 SCFM at 90 psi and 7.2 SCFM at 40 psi. It is a oil lubed pump and is about 1/2 or less as loud as the Sears one was. Anyway used the nail gun and it held up just fine.

The dust collector exceeded what I thought it would do after reading some of the threads. I am extremely happy even with having to move it machine to machine. With my small shop I have no choice. I put on the Highland Hardware first stage collector. I had to assemble the unit by cutting holes in the lid and putting in the 4 inch PVC 90 deg and the 4 inch PVC out to the collector. I also found a 5 micron felt bag after some searching and they said it would go to 1 micron after some use. I ran 20 board ft of oak and ash thru the jointer and planer using the big gulp hood. It did just fine. All in all I am extremely pleased and my shop is a whole lot cleaner. Hope everyone has had a good weekend and thanks again for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Bernie

Corey Hallagan
07-10-2005, 4:37 PM
Hey Bernie, looks good! I have an extremely small shop as well and am looking to do a similar install in the next year. Cool on the air compressor. I know that my little porter cable pancake won't be lasting a real long time but it was a good deal with all the guns for a first time buyer. Will probably get something like you got the next time around. Congrats and enjoy your new equipment!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2005, 7:05 PM
Thanks Corey.

The reason I got the Harbor Freight one is because it sits under the bench as you can see and the gauges point out. So quite easy to set the psi without getting on my knees all the time looking at the ones that point up. I have another regulator with a filter up on the wall also so it makes it nice to regulate also. I put a 90 deg coupler underneath it with a 4 inch extension and ball valve to bleed off the condensation.

The dust collector has no problem keeping up with the Sears table top jointer. Like I said for the Delta 12 1/2" lunch box planer I use what they call the big gulp hood and it does just fine also. I am going to make a bracket to hold the small hood for the scroll saw. I needed a adaptor for the bench top belt/disc sander and bandsaw. Other than that I have about $135 in the whole setup. I got the dust collector off ebay used once still under warranty for $55. Again thanks.

Bernie

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2005, 7:10 PM
Thanks Corey.

The reason I got the Harbor Freight one is because it sits under the bench as you can see and the gauges point out. So quite easy to set the psi without getting on my knees all the time looking at the ones that point up. I have another regulator with a filter up on the wall also so it makes it nice to regulate also. I put a 90 deg coupler underneath it with a 4 inch extension and ball valve to bleed off the condensation.

The dust collector has no problem keeping up with the Sears table top jointer. Like I said for the Delta 12 1/2" lunch box planer I use what they call the big gulp hood and it does just fine also. I am going to make a bracket to hold the small hood for the scroll saw. I needed a adaptor for the bench top belt/disc sander and bandsaw. Other than that I have about $135 in the whole setup. Again thanks.

Bernie

Frankie Hunt
07-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Bernie,

Nice double gloat! Looks good!

If it is not too much trouble could you post a picture of the inside of the fiber drum lid? I am making one of these seperators for my planer. I cut the holes in the lid just today! I am going from scratch and do not have the kit from Highlands Hardware. I see that their kit uses 4" duct. I will be using 5 inch stuff.

I have 2 questions. 1. How far does the center port go down into the drum. 2. How does the side port terminate inside the drum. (with a 45 or a 90 degree elbow?). A picture is worth a thousand words. These are the 2 issues that I have been debating.

Thanks,
Frankie

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2005, 6:16 PM
Frankie,

The one is just a 4" in coupler and the other is a 4" coupler with a 90 degree inside the tank. I am out of town today but will be home tomorrow night. I will scan the plans and e-mail them to you if you would like. I could also take some close up pictures and also e-mail those to you. Let me know.

Bernie