PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" Baltic Birch thickness

Barry Figgins
09-21-2014, 2:01 AM
Since baltic birch is in pretty common use here, I have a question for anyone who's using it and is happy with their product: if you have a set of calipers, could you give me an exact measurement of the thickness of your 1/8" baltic birch plywood?

Dave Sheldrake
09-21-2014, 6:49 AM
2.9264mm to 3.31407mm

Barry Figgins
09-22-2014, 1:14 AM
Great information, thanks!

Dave Sheldrake
09-22-2014, 7:37 AM
It varies a LOT though Barry, it used to cause me problems when doing slot together kits :(

cheers

Dave

Glen Monaghan
09-22-2014, 5:49 PM
Depends on where you buy it because some places sell 1/8" and some sell 3mm, but they may call it either, assuming they are interchangeable.

Mike Audleman
09-23-2014, 12:11 PM
It will also vary based on humidity at the time you measure it and also how much you sand it.

David Somers
09-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Dave,

Did you ever resolve your moisture problem with all your sheetstock? I remember a while back you had a ton of sheetstock that had become reallllllllly difficult to laser because of moisture picked up from the ambient air. You were going to get rid of it and replace it all and treat it differently to protect it from ambient moisture? How did that go?

Hope all is great with you and the family!!!!

Dave

Michael Kowalczyk
09-29-2014, 2:13 PM
ours can be .119" on one batch and .123" on another. It all depends on when they changed the sanding belt. Humidity plays a very small factor on Genuine Baltic Birch and will usually only effect the edges, ever so slightly, when stored properly. We wrap all ours with Kraft paper to keep them tightly bound to minimize any exposure.

When using 3mm Genuine Baltic Birch plywood for any slip together joinery, we always measure our stock first, gather ample quantity of sheets that fit the same thickness (always measure in several places around the sheet) and then apply material thickness to settings in Box it or one of many other macros. Always run one test to make sure ALL parts fit together properly before nesting several items on a sheet. KNOW YOUR KERF!!!!!!