PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Norvell/Shapleigh Hardware Co. DE6c & Stanley Bailey No 6 for $19.

Don Roberson II
09-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Did I do good? He had numerous other planes & I think I will go make an offer on them as well. Some were shaper, block, edge & I'm not sure what else

Alfred Kraemer
09-20-2014, 1:21 PM
If any of these two is in a condition to be restored/fixed the price would be very good. I check for cracks first. Sometimes they are obvious sometimes they they are hidden under the ' patina'. Rust comes next. Light surface rust can look bad but is easilly removable. Check for staightness of the sole and the sides - if you intendto use the plane on a shooting board. The stanley #6 are fairly abundant but they are a very versatile plane to have. Is the Shapleigh exactly the same size as the Stanley? I noticed that the pla e has a Diamond Edge blade. Anything DE that I have - mostly chisels - is terrific. Shapleigh was a hardware chain that had their tools made by someone else, usually a wellknown maker.

Alfred

Don Roberson II
09-20-2014, 1:53 PM
Thanks for the info
Both are sharp and in good working condition
I checked for cracks & bottoms are straight & true

Bill Houghton
09-20-2014, 3:45 PM
Look them over quickly for cracks, and, if they're sound, go back with a full wallet and come home with an empty one.

Jim Koepke
09-21-2014, 1:21 AM
Why is there drool all over my keyboard?

jtk