PDA

View Full Version : Help with blanket chest

David Ragan
09-20-2014, 8:43 AM
Hi,

I have built a few things-nothing as professional as what is on this site.

Now, I am taking on my first blanket chest, for my niece. (She picked this one out of a book.)

It is the Darrell Peart doing Greene and Greene. Unfortunately, there are no detailed plans.

I have the mahogany and ebony, and would like to start actually milling some wood. But, first, am looking it over to decide on final dimensions, making a list of router bits to order, etc.

My current problem is how to secure the base.

I just uploaded my very first photo(!)

See the band around the bottom? Then the extra (spacer?) piece running around between the case walls and the base? Now, I am unsure about how to attach all this. A giant cleat? Lots of screws?

I have looked through all my books, and can't find any detail on exactly how to do this. Being a novice, the more specific ideas/instruction, the better.

Thanks much! David

Andrew Hughes
09-20-2014, 11:43 AM
That's a nice looking chest,I would make the base last.The base would be a short stand frame work attached under with some screws.The small trim piece is probably there to cover gaps.
If you feel brave enough you might try sending Darrell a message most woodworker like sharing our methods with others.If you find time share some pics of the piece when your done or close.Hope this helps

Mike Henderson
09-20-2014, 1:34 PM
I would treat that as a decorative item and not as a base. You can think of it as molding except that there's a decorative "finger joint" type item at the corners. Make the chest normally. Then make the molding - you don't have to make it exactly as shown in the picture - you could even leave out the decorative "finger joint". Then, just attach it to the chest.

Put some felt type feet on the bottom of the chest when finished.

If you make that as a base, you'll lose some of the storage space.

Mike

Bud hill
09-20-2014, 6:13 PM
You might try looking on the Wood Wisperers web site. He made something almost like this.

David Ragan
09-21-2014, 4:09 PM
Thanks for the input.

I will go to the Wood Whisperer site tomorrow and look at that link.

However, I found an article by Marc Spagnuolo in Popular Woodworking April 2014 (page 48) that show that very blanket chest diagram (Thank You Marc!)

For some reason, probably simple, I am unable to upload a picture of the plan that Marc and Popular Woodworking provided.

It seems like the small trim in question rides on top of the base board (and cleats) is a 3/4 x 2.5" wide board running the circumference under the walls of the chest. Of course, corners are mitered. Looks simple enough.

Plus, Marc's drawing has a cool hidden drawer in it.

I will post a picture when done. Spent lots of time milling the mahogany this weekend, so kinda tired right now.

Thank again everyone-I will finish it in several weeks/months.

David