PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Shellac

Mark W Pugh
09-20-2014, 5:56 AM
OK, this project I am doing was my first attempt at spraying shellac. What I noticed was a tendency to "tiger stripe" if there was any overlap of my passes. I finally started carefully watching my passes with no overlap. Seems to have fixed the problem.

So, is this just me and my novice level spraying ability, or is this a shellac related spraying issue?

It was a 1.5# garnet shellac cut using DNA, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

David Hawxhurst
09-20-2014, 9:59 AM
tiger stripes are as you found out created by improper overlap. with lighter and clear finishes it is harder to see it happening while spraying but can be quite noticeable after its done. a good method to help while spraying is a strong light source at a step angle (racking light) to the object being sprayed, and the obvious one practice.

John Coloccia
09-20-2014, 10:23 AM
FWIW, I usually spray about a 1# cut, and I spray very light, thin coats. I almost just mist it on. It's doesn't really spray like lacquer, IMHO. It just dries too fast, so if you try to apply it like lacquer, it has no time to flow out or do anything, and you may not get the best results. That's just my opinion.

John TenEyck
09-20-2014, 2:32 PM
I've actually gotten better results spraying (and wiping) Sealcoat shellac straight from the can at 2# cut than thinning it to a 1# cut with DNA. It seems to flow out better at 2# than when cut to 1# with DNA. The DNA just seems to evaporate too quickly for the thinner cut to flow out. Perhaps switching to a slower evaporating alcohol, like Behkol, would help in that regard. I don't know if others have had similar results, but it seems to work for me.

John

John Coloccia
09-20-2014, 2:56 PM
I've actually gotten better results spraying (and wiping) Perhaps switching to a slower evaporating alcohol, like Behkol, would help in that regard. I don't know if others have had similar results, but it seems to work for me.

John

I should have mentioned that. I do find I get the best results with Behkol. I use grain alcohol when doing a French Polish, but Behkol for most everything else.