PDA

View Full Version : Any free money offers floating around?

Rich Engelhardt
09-19-2014, 4:35 PM
I need money :D ! LOL! Don't we all!

Right now, a local bank, Key Bank is offering a $150.00 bonus to open a checking account.
The only real string attached is that they require a direct deposit of > $1k within the first 60 days.

That's not really a problem.

The other one is Capitol One 380 checking. You open a new checking account - no minimum and no fees - and just use the debit card that comes with the account 3 times in the first 45 days. On day 50, they deposit $50.00.
Ok - so far that's $200.00 towards my new router and plate. I need $305 for the router and $150 for the plate - so - I'm just short of half way there.

Any other offers worthwhile?

Judson Green
09-19-2014, 5:08 PM
Chase seems to always have something going on like that.

Moses Yoder
09-19-2014, 6:37 PM
My dad always fell for those things. My mom has more money in the bank now than they ever did together, and she only gets $700 a month. She has several checks right now that she can't bank because SS will reduce her check. She has a tax bill coming up in November that she will be spending money. I get my spending habits from dad, but I am smart enough to know that a bank does not give away money.

David G Baker
09-19-2014, 11:32 PM
The only "free money" offers I get come from a new friend of mine in Nigeria. To get my free money I have to send him $1000 and my bank account numbers so he can deposit the money directly into my account. (smile)
Thanks for the help on the redirect virus. I think it is fixed.

John Huds0n
09-20-2014, 1:36 AM
Chase Southwest Rewards
https://creditcards.chase.com/6000329

You need to spend $2,000 in the first three months and if you do so, you will get 50,000 reward points. The Reward points can be cashed in for Amazon Gift cards (50,000 points will get you $500 in gift cards). Keep in mind there is a $99 annual fee, so you should be able to clear $400 doing this - and then cancel the card before the year is up

Rich Engelhardt
09-20-2014, 6:00 AM
I am smart enough to know that a bank does not give away money.Sure they do. There are going to be conditions you have to conform to of course, but, essentially the money is free.

John,
Thanks! I'll look into that.

Dan Hintz
09-20-2014, 8:56 AM
You need to spend $2,000 in the first three months and if you do so, you will get 50,000 reward points. The Reward points can be cashed in for Amazon Gift cards (50,000 points will get you $500 in gift cards). Keep in mind there is a $99 annual fee, so you should be able to clear $400 doing this - and then cancel the card before the year is up

Discover has one running right now... if you spend $2,500/month for 6 months, they deposit $400 in your cashback account. I'm on month 4 and still in the running. I have to buy things anyway, so it's free money for zero effort.

Rich Engelhardt
09-20-2014, 9:51 AM
I'll have to check into that Discover offer to see if it only applies to new holders.

Brian Elfert
09-23-2014, 10:25 PM
The Discover deals that offer a Cashback bonus just for spending money on their card are usually targeted to specific cardholders. I got an offer from them where I had to spend like $1000 a month for 6 months and then they gave me $250 Cashback bonus.

Mark Bolton
09-24-2014, 8:36 AM
The Discover deals that offer a Cashback bonus just for spending money on their card are usually targeted to specific cardholders. I got an offer from them where I had to spend like $1000 a month for 6 months and then they gave me $250 Cashback bonus.

You got that right. I've got one that's tied to my business (not a business card) and they never send those offers because they know I could send 10k across the card in a week.

Most of these gimmicks have so many escape hatches for the bank they never pay in my experience.

Brian Elfert
09-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Most of these gimmicks have so many escape hatches for the bank they never pay in my experience.

I have done a dozen different credit card offers that gave me money for using the card and I have always received my money with no hassles. This includes Discover when they gave me $250 just for using the card for six months.

Rick Potter
09-24-2014, 1:00 PM
Don't know if the GM card still exists, but a few years back my brother and I both got $2500 towards a GM vehicle. I think we did it twice, but over the years they gradually cut the benefits to where we stopped.

Rich Engelhardt
09-24-2014, 2:21 PM
Most of these gimmicks have so many escape hatches for the bank they never pay in my experience.like Brian, I've never had a problem getting the money - as long as I played by their rules.

Chris Padilla
09-24-2014, 4:41 PM
like Brian, I've never had a problem getting the money - as long as I played by their rules.

Ditto. I've never not had them pay up like they said they would. I used to plow everything in sight on my United (Airlines) Visa to get miles but they got way too "conditiony" as the rules started piling up that using the miles became more and more difficult. Now I plow everything in sight on my American Express (Costco) card and I get 2 paybacks: one from Costco purchases and one for general purchases. Cash is king. :)

But back on topic, it seems that Chase banks always have some kind of cash incentive going to open accounts with them.

Wade Lippman
09-24-2014, 5:38 PM
Chase Southwest Rewards
https://creditcards.chase.com/6000329

Three years ago they gave two roundtrip flights, which I figured saved about $1,200. I guess they wised up.