PDA

View Full Version : New Basement Shop Update with Pics

John Dingman
07-10-2005, 2:00 PM
Hey all,

We are moved in to our new home and we are starting to get settled in. I moved a few things around in the shop and I think I have the final layout set now. Here are a couple of pics........

A view from the East to the West:

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Finished%20Shop%20View%20East%20to%20West.jpg

And here is a view from the West to the East:
http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Finished%20Shop%20View%20West%20to%20East.jpg

At the far end of the picture you can see that I have put in some anti-fatigue mats. (They sure are nice.) I am going to get another case of them and do the entire shop with them. Also, as many of you have suggested, I have moved my bench away from the wall. It works out very well that way. (Thanks for the suggestions :) ) I still need to run the DC and some other odds and ends. If you want to see the entire pictoral process, you can see it Here. (http://www.johnswoodshop.us/New%20Shop%20Construction.htm) Thanks for looking.

John

Alan Tolchinsky
07-10-2005, 2:21 PM
Excellent shop John. It looks very bright and inviting. What's the size? It looks very roomy.

John Dingman
07-10-2005, 2:26 PM
Excellent shop John. It looks very bright and inviting. What's the size? It looks very roomy.Thanks Alan!

The Shop is 46' long. It's 11' 3" wide in the Bench Area, and 15' 6" wide in the assembly area, and 17' wide where the Miter Saw station is located.

Thanks again!
John

Alan Tolchinsky
07-10-2005, 4:12 PM
Wow, that's much bigger than it looks in the pictures. Now I'm drooling. :) Great space John, enjoy!

Todd Davidson
07-10-2005, 4:48 PM
Lookin' good John! I'm still slowly making headway. Am sure you're psyched to spend some creative time in there.

Corey Hallagan
07-10-2005, 8:51 PM
Very nice John, what a great workshop space. You outdid yourself! I am envious of you. Enjoy the space.

Corey

Frank Pellow
07-10-2005, 9:55 PM
Great shop John! And, I really enjoyed reading all the details and seeing all the pictures of your web site.

Michael Gibbons
07-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Party at John's house! And bring some wood!

Effie Lever
07-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Great looking space John, enjoy your new shop:) .<O:p</O:p

Effie

John Cavanaugh
07-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Where did you get the anti-fatigue mats and how much did they cost?? They look nice, I think I need some. ;-)

--
John Cavanaugh

Jonathan Szczepanski
07-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Hey all,

We are moved in to our new home and we are starting to get settled in. I moved a few things around in the shop and I think I have the final layout set now. Here are a couple of pics........

John - Nice looking shop. It is very bright with a lot of room. I like your workbench a lot. Did you buy it or make it?

Mike Wilkins
07-11-2005, 9:27 AM
Is this a woodworking shop or a hospital operating room?? Looks great inside of here, especially since this is a basement. Keeps is from looking like a hole in the ground. Congrats on the new space. Now lets make some sawdust.
Nice shop and watch those fingers.

John Dingman
07-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Where did you get the anti-fatigue mats and how much did they cost?? They look nice, I think I need some. ;-)

--
John CavanaughJohn,

I got the anti-fatigue mats from Harbor Freight in West Allis, which is the nearest store to me. They are not in their online catalog. They were $6.00 a package (4- 2'x2' tiles). I did the space you see with one case which cost me $60.00. I think another case maybe 2 and I'll have the whole shop done. They sure are nice on the feet and the knees :)

John

Gabriele Piccini
07-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi John,

I am moving to the new home too, where I concern to build my own workshop but I haven't all that space :eek: .
Perhaps there you have a meter which isn't the same of our meter:rolleyes: .
I know you will build great projects there.

John Dingman
07-11-2005, 10:14 AM
John - Nice looking shop. It is very bright with a lot of room. I like your workbench a lot. Did you buy it or make it?Jonathan,

Thanks! I made the workbench. It's made from an old kitchen cabinet for the base. (Nice dustless storage for the planes) and the top is Douglas Fir. You can read about the construction Here. (http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Work%20bench.htm)

John

Tyler Howell
07-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Great looking space John.:cool:

Jay Kilpatrick
07-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Wow! What a streamlined shop, You must've been a Navy Man in a former life... a place for everything and everything in its place is what my dad always espoused. Very Nice!

Jim Dannels
07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Very nice set-up!
And Good Lard thats a big work surface on your router table!!
Details please?

John Dingman
07-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Wow! What a streamlined shop, You must've been a Navy Man in a former life... a place for everything and everything in its place is what my dad always espoused. Very Nice!Jay,

How did you EVER guess :rolleyes: 10 years in the Navy :) You learn to store a lot of stuff in a small space in the Navy :D

Thanks!
John

John Dingman
07-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Very nice set-up!
And Good Lard thats a big work surface on your router table!!
Details please?Jim,

The router table is a major OVERKILL :eek: I had some old kitchen cabinets lying around from a kitchen remodel and instead of throwing them away I decided to use them in the shop. (used one for the workbench too.) Anyway, the top of the router table is a Rockler top, a freud fence with a zero clearence insert, and melamine (sp?) extensions added to each end of the cabinet. The tract for the feather boards extends the entire length of the table, again, an overkill ;) I like the storage underneath, and I like the work space. If I had a smaller shop I would down scale it a bit. But since I have the space, I'll just use it as is even though it's a bit more than I need.

John

Lee DeRaud
07-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Speaking of those anti-fatigue mats: anybody know a cheap source for them? (Or at least cheaper than HD.:eek: )

Mark Singer
07-11-2005, 11:34 AM
John,

A great job! That is a shop you will really enjoy and make great stuff in!

Mike Weaver
07-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Very nice space!
Thanks for sharing!

For those looking for inexpensive mats,
At John's site, he mentioned picking them up at at local HF rather cheaply, but that they weren't in the online catalog.

Cheers,
-Mike

Jim Dannels
07-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Speaking of those anti-fatigue mats: anybody know a cheap source for them? (Or at least cheaper than HD.:eek: )

I was glad to see them at the HD price. Walmart has them in Sporting Goods with the exercise equipment and they are $17+.
I wanted some at my bench, but not at that price.

Lee DeRaud
07-11-2005, 11:53 AM
For those looking for inexpensive mats,
At John's site, he mentioned picking them up at at local HF rather cheaply, but that they weren't in the online catalog.Thanks, I'll try that: there's a retail HF near me.

Todd Davidson
07-11-2005, 7:37 PM
Great website John! Hadn't thought of using DougFir for a bench top - which is more plentiful and cheaper than SYP in my neck of the woods. Has it given you any problems - shrinkage? warping?

Dan Forman
07-11-2005, 9:42 PM
John, beautiful shop. If I might be permitted to make just a couple of suggestions which will help to better capture the essential character of the basement shop: ;)

There is way too much light there for a basement shop. Your should either get rid of most of the light fixtures, or paint the walls and ceiling black. A sigle bare bulb dangling from the ceiling on a kinked wire really makes a statement that fairly shouts "BASEMENT".

Run out straight away and buy a nice variety of spiders to release, the webs add ambiance and they are good company as well.

DAN

John Dingman
07-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Great website John! Hadn't thought of using DougFir for a bench top - which is more plentiful and cheaper than SYP in my neck of the woods. Has it given you any problems - shrinkage? warping?Todd,

The DougFir has not given me any problems at all. It's almost a year old now. It does gouge easy, but hey, it just gives it character :D

Thanks!
John