PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

Graham Taylor
09-19-2014, 4:36 AM
Another couple of questions if you dont mind answering:

Is all MDF created equal whith regards to being laserable? If need some urgently, can I use the stuff they sell at B&Q?

We have an existing design team who want to design rubber stamps and stencils to be sold via our website and shop.

What is the best file format for them to save the design in after scanning it so I can then use it via CorelDraw and the Trotec s/w?
Would it be a .bmp file as I have read somewhere not to use .jpg files?

Thanks as usual for any help and advice,

Graham

Michael Hunter
09-19-2014, 5:09 AM
The MDF from B&Q/Wickes varies - I think that they just buy the cheapest available at the time.

B&Q stuff used to be soft and fluffy (not much glue) and cut very cleanly. My most recent purchase was much harder and cut more slowly with more resin and char in the cut.

Better to buy from a reputable timber merchant where you can get the same make/grade time after time.

For files, use just about any bitmap except jpeg. Tif is good as it can be compressed without creating artefacts or loosing detail.

Keith Outten
09-19-2014, 6:57 AM
Trupan ultralight mdf is used for CNC jobs frequently. It is radically different from the stuff the Borg sells and is 1/3 the weight.

David Somers
09-19-2014, 2:02 PM
Keith,

The Borg? Meaning Home Depot and Leows?

Dave

John Noell
09-19-2014, 2:35 PM
Keith,

Dave
Who else? :)

Paul Phillips
09-19-2014, 4:42 PM
Keith,

Dave
Big Old Retail Giant! Come on David keep up! ;)

Bert Kemp
09-19-2014, 5:47 PM
Big Old Retail Giant! Come on David keep up! ;)
OH I thought the Enterprise had a stock room full of mdf:p

Keith Outten
09-19-2014, 6:33 PM
Yes, the Borg sells your run of the mill MDF but you will have to find a specialty place to purchase Trupan. I can purchase it locally from Atlantic Plywood in Richmond, they deliver to my area one day each week.

I despise MDF and prefer to never have the stuff in my shop again. Its nasty stuff but its common practice to use it for CNC Router spoil boards. I will be replacing my spoil board in the coming weeks with PVC sheet.

Dave Sheldrake
09-19-2014, 6:59 PM
Try Medite Graham, some of the B&Q stuff has high levels of formaldehyde (good for preserving your lungs when you die) the MR stuff tends to cut like a dog, it burns and spatters so avoid that like the plague (the fumes are also pretty toxic)

The sticky barcode on B&Q stuff will tell you if it's medite ;)

cheers

Dave

ps: You in Wales Graham?

Graham Taylor
09-20-2014, 1:28 AM
Try Medite Graham, some of the B&Q stuff has high levels of formaldehyde (good for preserving your lungs when you die) the MR stuff tends to cut like a dog, it burns and spatters so avoid that like the plague (the fumes are also pretty toxic)

The sticky barcode on B&Q stuff will tell you if it's medite ;)

cheers

Dave

ps: You in Wales Graham?

Thanks for the replies.

Dave - I am Welsh and proud :D Moved to London 26 years ago for work and still down here living in Essex now.

Ernest Martin
09-20-2014, 12:12 PM
There are different types of MDF Medium Density Fibreboard . I am not that familiar with what Home Depot an them places sell but I am guessing it is the regular cheap stuff.
We also purchase a lot from Atlantic Plywood from there Rochester New York place.
Some of the different types of Fibreboard available include High Density Fibreboard. High density is usually mold resistant and quite a bit heaver. Some of our suppliers sell MDF that is marketed for plaques and so it seems to be a little more uniform and a little denser than the regular run of the mill stuff. I would imagine the heavier the harder it would be to cut with a laser, but for us it seems cutting it with a router the denser stuff seems to be a little better.

Dave Sheldrake
09-20-2014, 12:38 PM
Stick to Medite Grham, Travis Perkins do it in 3mm and over with FSC grade in 1mm and 2mm if required. Anything else will give wacky results ;)

as to Wales, love it here, Just moved and the Welsh people have made us so welcome, I can't imagine living anywhere else now :) (I'm in Llanddoworor about 10 miles west of Carmarthen)

cheers

Dave