PDA

View Full Version : PWM vs Analog

Bill George
09-18-2014, 8:42 AM
My software and controller both support PWM control (and also Analog) to the laser power supply. But its been set up to use the Analog 0-5 signal because the power supply does not have PWM control.

Is there an advantage to either one? I was going to sometime in the future to upgrade both the tube and PSU.

Guy Hilliard
09-18-2014, 9:19 AM
P(ulse) W(idth) M(odulation) is used to control RF excited laser tubes (the aluminum boxes used in Universal, Epilog, and Trotec lasers). Analog is used to control DC excited (glass tube) lasers.

Bill George
09-18-2014, 9:32 AM
P(ulse) W(idth) M(odulation) is used to control RF excited laser tubes (the aluminum boxes used in Universal, Epilog, and Trotec lasers). Analog is used to control DC excited (glass tube) lasers.

So all Chinese CO2 lasers have Analog control? Just wondering why the PWM option was even available.

Dave Sheldrake
09-18-2014, 9:01 PM

Umm no it isn't.

If you have a current limiter a DC tube can easily be run at 100% PWM (Continuous Wave) it also allows considerable manipulation of duty cycles while staying inside the maximum design frequency of the tube. RF tubes can be a problem if they don't not have current limiting in your chosen software.

cheers

Dave

Bill George
09-18-2014, 10:01 PM
I have one of those big green resistors in my spares kit. There isn't one installed in the machine however. Just trying to learn. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Jerome Stanek
09-19-2014, 6:47 AM
I have one of those big green resistors in my spares kit. There isn't one installed in the machine however. Just trying to learn. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

There is a video of how you use thee big green resistor to check the power supply on the Gweike web site

Bill George
09-19-2014, 7:04 AM
There is a video of how you use thee big green resistor to check the power supply on the Gweike web site

OK and it never dawned on me it was for Testing. Thought it was something to add to the circuit if needed.

Dave Sheldrake
09-19-2014, 2:29 PM
Replaces the tube to test the PSU Bill, like a load.

cheers

Dave