PDA

View Full Version : One person and a shop air filter.

william watts
09-18-2014, 2:50 AM
I purchased a Grizzly G9956 shop air filter, it weighs 73 lbs. I am a one man hobby woodworker so faced a problem to hang it from the rafters in my garage shop. I was at H.F. and found a $6.00 block and tackle that is rated at 150 lbs. Rigged this to the filter with some antenna guy wire that I had on hand and it was an easy lift to the rafters, the block and tackle has a MA of 3. Some work to attach and level the filter with the chains and hooks that I had already installed, and job done.

I want to let others know about the block and tackle. A light duty block and tackle could be very handy around the shop. I'm already thinking of lifting one end of may lath to get a 4 wheel dolly under.

David Dockstader
09-18-2014, 11:01 AM
What was the item number at Harbor Freight? I haven't seen anything like that and searching their website comes up empty.

David Dockstader
09-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Never mind. I found it. It's listed as a hoist and the SKU is 60544.

Stephen Yeates
10-15-2014, 7:57 PM
I used the pulleys you can find in most hardware stores. A single wheel block and one double in tandem hoisted a 50 lb cast iron ceiling fan to the rafters of my workshop. It's really important to have a solid tie off point like a machine or bench. I was alone so I pulled a few inches one side and a few on the other. The double sheave cuts the weight in half. I hoisted a General 490 band saw alone up on my table the same way. Fantastic. And I have a bad back!

ernest dubois
10-16-2014, 4:57 AM
Yes, very handy piece of equipment for when the need arrises.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/ernestdubois/PA101160_zpsa64260ff.jpg

William C Rogers
10-28-2014, 11:16 AM
When I built my new shop with 12' ceilings I bought a HF drywall lift to hoist up the OSB panels for the walls thinking I would sell it once done. However I have used it for a lot of things (no drywall) such as putting wood up and taking down on my high racks, things on high shelves, etc. I used my HF hoist to lift my air cleaner on it and then just cranked it up to install. So I am not going to sell it as it comes in handy for those things.