PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a Quickbooks Pro whiz here?

Mark Bolton
09-17-2014, 3:43 PM
Wondering if anyone here is a whiz bang with QB Pro. I have been trying to figure out if its possible to have an estimate which would have a single line that would show to the customer but behind the scenes so to speak you could track multiple components that go into that estimate.

For instance, something woodworking related, would be to calculate the cost of a manufactured cabinet, or table, or anything for that matter. You would want a single line item to show to the customer as "table" but you would want to be able to have your own inputs that would be lumber, legs, hardware, adhesives, finishing, labor, markup, and so on.

Any ideas?

John Coloccia
09-17-2014, 4:47 PM
For this, and other reasons, I found Quickbooks to be an absolute nightmare. I have a similar situation, and I don't even remember the number of different things I tried. In the end, I dumped Quikbooks. Unless you're doing a lot of volume, it's MUCH easier to simply figure by hand or use an estimating program, and then just jot down the final figures in something like a Dome book. I wasted many many many hours, and spent a bunch of money on service calls, and never got a solution that was simple enough to even consider using.

That's just my opinion.

Mark Bolton
09-17-2014, 5:15 PM
John,
I dont disagree with you but I dont think I could do without some sort of accounting software. I think I know the answer I am going to find an that is to use QB enterprise which incorporates some low end solutions for non-inventory parts that are an assembly.

I have long been frustrate with QB but I have been using it for probably in excess of 15-18 years now (cant remember). I hang on to my old versions for as long as I can but I have recently upgraded to the current version and it looks like I may be in for another upgrade as much as I hate to admit it (I dont want to give them any more money).

There is simply no way I could handle my volume (not that its tremendous) longhand or via my own spreadsheets without hours in the day I just dont have.

I just dont understand why this wouldnt be an option in the base program but I suppose thats the way they sell product.

Unfortunately the world looks to be moving to a subscription based model where instead of paying for something and owning it you pay every year but stay current. Im not comfortable with this. Office365 is a perfect example. That said, when I can spend 69 a year and always be current or 139 and Im out of date in 2 years I dont know which is better.

Heck, you cant even email invoices and estimates out of QBpro now without some sort of hoooo doooo

John Coloccia
09-17-2014, 5:18 PM
John,
I dont disagree with you but I dont think I could do without some sort of accounting software. I think I know the answer I am going to find an that is to use QB enterprise which incorporates some low end solutions for non-inventory parts that are an assembly.

Yes, I believe that was the same conclusion I came to. Once you start doing inventory tracking, the problems become a nightmare. I think the closest to a solution in QB Pro I came up with involved doing things like "buying" dummy parts in inventory, and then creating a custom assembly for that particular job. It was really just a nightmare.

Check out the program kBilling. It's not a full accounting program, but maybe you don't need a full accounting program. I started using that before my business went predominantly paypal, and it might do what you need it to do. You can get a free trial. If you call the guy and chat with him about Quickbooks, you might have a little giggle at who one of his good customers is.

Mark Bolton
09-17-2014, 5:22 PM
Yes, I believe that was the same conclusion I came to. Once you start doing inventory tracking, the problems become a nightmare. I think the closest to a solution in QB Pro I came up with involved doing things like "buying" dummy parts in inventory, and then creating a custom assembly for that particular job. It was really just a nightmare.

Check out the program kBilling. It's not a full accounting program, but maybe you don't need a full accounting program.

Will do John, Thanks so much for your insight.

Greg R Bradley
09-17-2014, 6:20 PM
There are 3 different versions: Quickbooks, Quickbooks Pro, Quickbooks Premier. When you install Premier, you can choose your industry version, one of which is Manufacturing. The kind of inventory that you are wanting is Manufacturing Inventory where an item is made up of other items and labor, etc.

Quickbooks Enterprise is mostly the same in function as Premier but scales better. Better is a relative term as I have it in one business and it is a bit of a joke.

You can download a demo of Premier and see if it fits your needs. It is around $100 more than Pro.

Quickbooks is crap but it is dirt cheap and they do lots of marketing so they are the common one out there.

Brad Adams
09-17-2014, 8:07 PM
I disagree with saying it is crap. I use it daily in my plumbing business. It does everything I need it to do, plus it allows me to easily give my accountant a copy to do his thing. I do see what you are saying though about being able to itemize estimates for your own information. I too have allowances for the things we use to plumb a house but don't want it all on the final estimate, or I would get nit picked apart.