PDA

View Full Version : Cubbies

Mr Mike Mills
09-16-2014, 3:37 PM
I want to build a box that has 3wide x 4tall cubbies. I am going to use this for bulk storage for my tape measures. So I can quick look and see how many tape measure are missing. I want the box to hold 16 tape measures.

Is there any computer program/application out there that will let me put my measurements in and it will spit out a design pattern to cut the dividers with a laser.

If anyone has other ideas for Easy viewing and counting storage ideas for tape measure please let me know.

Thanks Mike

Bert Kemp
09-16-2014, 4:01 PM
I think if you use box it to create the size box needed for 16 tapes, then cut out the shelves, and laser grooves in the box sides for the shelves , it should work for you

George M. Perzel
09-16-2014, 6:11 PM
Hi Mike;
I applaud you for the desire to get some organization in your life; however, is this really practical? I have about 10 tape measures and find that they all end up in the same place which is never where I need one.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Mr Mike Mills
09-17-2014, 9:28 AM
Hi Mike;
I applaud you for the desire to get some organization in your life; however, is this really practical? I have about 10 tape measures and find that they all end up in the same place which is never where I need one.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

The reason for this is I am in a High School Wood shop. all 3 of my classes will share the same tape measures. I have found if i give each student their own tape measure about half of them get broke during the semester because they are playing with them when they should not even be using them.

This will let me quick look and make sure all students have returned their tape measures at the end of each block.

Thanks mIke

tommy suriady
09-17-2014, 9:40 AM
My tape measure has a strap. Could you just put 16 nails on a wood plank and hang them all? 30 minutes with a saw, measure and hammer. No programing needed. That is ofcourse assuming you attach this to a wall...

Mr Mike Mills
09-17-2014, 10:28 AM
My tape measure has a strap. Could you just put 16 nails on a wood plank and hang them all? 30 minutes with a saw, measure and hammer. No programing needed. That is ofcourse assuming you attach this to a wall...

Thanks You Nice Idea

Mike Audleman
09-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Another option is to use hard drive magnets. Make a run up to the computer lab or IT guys at the school and see if they have some old hard drives. If not, run out to a local computer shop (not big-box) and see if they will give you some dead hard drives (desktop sized, not laptop).

Take them apart (usually need a torx driver set but you likely already have them). There are usually two very strong neodymium magnets in them on mounting plates surrounding the head servo. After removing the mounting plates, you can bend the metal mounts back and the magnets will pop off the plates.

Epoxy the magnets to the tape measures near the belt loops. This will allow them to be stuck to any ferrous surface. Handy to just stick them to the front of the saw or drill press. It also keeps them from rattling off a table. I am sure you have a metal locker there somewhere, no? Use some colored electrical tape and make a 4x4 grid on it and have the students just stick them in each square.

tommy suriady
09-17-2014, 11:14 AM
The magnet is very good idea if your tape is metal. Usually the casing is plastic, but the tape is surely ferous metal. In case the body is plastic, get the nametag magnet: they come with 2 round magnets on a metal plate and a metal plate to stick to the magnets. Stick the plate to the tape casing and the magnet to your board. Strong enough to hold 1 pound at least @60c usd a piece in indonesia.

Or just buy magnets online. Come in any shape you can imagine. Stick magnet to body with epoxy and use metal board.

Tommy Suriady
http://www.laserindonesia.com

Mike Audleman
09-17-2014, 11:34 AM
By epoxying the magnets to the tape, its not relevant whether the case is metal or plastic.

Hard drive magnets are extremely strong and best of all, usually free if you are willing to remove a few screws.