PDA

View Full Version : cost to replace basement concrete block wall???

Clarence Martin
09-16-2014, 1:34 PM
Measured it out and it's 18 blocks long by about 12 blocks high. God only knows how old the old basement wall is, but it is starting to crumble and needs to be replaced. The other 3 walls are fine, just need this one replaced. Any idea what a contractor would charge to replace it ?

Dan Hintz
09-16-2014, 3:44 PM
I'll take a stab in the dark and guess in the range of $4-5k. They'll need to bring in a few lally columns to support the upper floor while they work, knock the old out, then put new in place. I'm also assuming this wall is not holding back dirt... if so, they may have to dig some clearance before bringing it down.

Matt Day
09-16-2014, 5:39 PM
I think you should clarify whether the wall has fill behind it, but If the wall is crumbling that says moisture to me, so I'm guessing the wall has fill behind it. So you'll need what Dan suggested, plus excavating, waterproofing and an exterior perimeter drain.
So scope of work:
Excavate
Temp support house
Demo old wall
Install new wall
Waterproof
Drain
Fill
Plus 10% contingency

I'd say $6k-$7k, but depends on any factors. Get multiple quotes!

George Bokros
09-16-2014, 5:52 PM
I think they are low. My guess is yes to needing all that Matt is saying but I would guess $10K-$12K.

Brian W Smith
09-16-2014, 6:30 PM
Barely read the OP.......

George above,is barely getting our interest.....10K just to started.You need to be entirely focused on exactly what you want done.

Tom M King
09-16-2014, 6:38 PM
The blocks will be the cheap part. Blocks are easy. Digging is easy. Waterproofing seems to be a puzzle for most. Can you send a drain out to daylight downhill somewhere? I have a system for waterproofing old basements that works absolutely, but it's not the type of job that is fast and cheap. Turnkey on a 20 x 40, plus an older room on one end 12 x 16, 1784 house was about 30k. It had always had water standing under it, and now you can kick dust in the dirt floored room.

Too much unknown here to give any kind of estimate. Look at the waterproofing page on my website: historichousepreservation.com links to waterproofing materials are on the page.

eugene thomas
09-17-2014, 2:24 AM
think you would be better to just give the numbers gave use to few local masons and then would have info can use...

Jerome Stanek
09-17-2014, 6:58 AM
I would not even try to say as it depends on where he lives. In one part of the country it could be $5,000 and the same job in another part could be $10,000

Judson Green
09-17-2014, 11:02 AM

Lots of em and your area.

Is there a deck, porch, balcony, bay window, driveway, real close to the neighbor, water supply line, waste water, gas, propane, and so on?

What caused the problem in the first place? High water table? Surface water? Heavy trucks/equipment? Poor construction? Other?

Mark Bolton
09-17-2014, 1:44 PM
The excavation will be the issue if its unbalanced fill. Not to long ago I quoted a front wall repair. Daylight basement, up-slope wall was in to the point of near collapse into the basement, only 7' high but had drainage issues galore, and I quoted it at 14K. It was a tight site with very little room to stage and stack fill. The slope would mean any errant rains would wreak havoc with the project. Excavation was going to have to be aggressively stepped or trenches would have to be supported.

If it is unbalanced fill and you get some turkey who is going to dig an 8' vertical walled trench and put a guy down in there you'd better have your homeowners paid and up your coverage or make sure his comp and liability are through the roof.