PDA

View Full Version : Wood Expansion

Bob Vavricka
09-16-2014, 1:18 PM
A lesson in wood expansion and allowing for it.
http://www.news9.com/story/26540029/skydance-bridge-suffers-structural-problems

John Coloccia
09-16-2014, 1:25 PM
A lesson in wood expansion and allowing for it.
http://www.news9.com/story/26540029/skydance-bridge-suffers-structural-problems

Obviously they should have used breadboard ends. C'est la vie. For now, I heard they're going to flip the bridge over and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days to straighten out.

Chris Padilla
09-16-2014, 2:47 PM
I read somewhere about a homeowner putting down solid oak floors and butting them tight wall to wall. The expansion blew out all the sill plates on the walls, interior and exterior. Wood is a feisty one...it will not be confined!!! :)

Justin Ludwig
09-16-2014, 6:03 PM
I read somewhere about a homeowner putting down solid oak floors and butting them tight wall to wall. The expansion blew out all the sill plates on the walls, interior and exterior. Wood is a feisty one...it will not be confined!!! :)

I visited a home where the homeowner had oak cleared from his land and milled for his floor. He installed it while still wet. 6 months later he was wondering why he had 1/4" gaps between the boards.

The news correspondent stated, "They're only going to fix this part of the bridge and they'll fix the other problems as they arise." I think she missed her own pun.

Kent A Bathurst
09-16-2014, 7:02 PM
Obviously they should have used breadboard ends. C'est la vie. For now, I heard they're going to flip the bridge over and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days to straighten out.

All right now, John. I'll give you a "B-" on that reply. You nailed two pigeons with that, but you could have had an "A" if you had found a way to work in either [a] grounding of PVC dust collector pipes, or [b] sawstop safety features.

Buckle down, dude. Or, given the topic, should I have said buckle up?

:p :p :p

Art Mann
09-16-2014, 8:10 PM
John's reply was funny but Kent's just takes the cake! It had me buckled over with laughter.

Dan Hintz
09-16-2014, 8:54 PM
Is it just me, or does that article say practically nothing useful, and only us wood guys would understand the problem? And that pic hardly shows anything... if I didn't know what the story was about, I'd think it was just another walkway.

Shawn Pixley
09-17-2014, 12:09 AM
Oooooops!!!!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-17-2014, 8:41 AM
Is it just me, or does that article say practically nothing useful, and only us wood guys would understand the problem? And that pic hardly shows anything... if I didn't know what the story was about, I'd think it was just another walkway.

The video shows it a lot better. That's a lot of buckling!