PDA

View Full Version : Can I store kiln dry lumber outside?

Jaromir Svoboda
09-15-2014, 6:36 PM
I build lumber storage behind my shop,it is covered.Can I store kiln dry lumber there?

Chris Padilla
09-15-2014, 6:41 PM
What is your main concern in storing it there? To answer your question, yes, why not?

It will acclimate to its surrounding environment (hot muggy Chicago 'burb) just like any wood will.

Kiln drying simply brings the overall moisture content down to a nice number (6-10%), and if done right, it should stay more or less flat and it kills any bugs or fungus in the wood.

Jaromir Svoboda
09-15-2014, 9:02 PM
I am worried about bugs.I don't want bugs to get in wood.

Jamie Buxton
09-15-2014, 10:54 PM
I am worried about bugs.I don't want bugs to get in wood.

In general, bugs don't like to eat dry wood. Most kinds of boring beetles and termites want to chew on green wood.

I think you might have more trouble with bigger vermin. Mice and rats think that wood piles look like a great place for a nest. Rat poop is not good for nice lumber. Cats or dogs are good.

Scott T Smith
09-15-2014, 11:12 PM
There are two types of bugs that you usually have to be worried about - dry wood termites and powder post beetles. PPB are probably not as common in N. IL, but I'm not sure about the termites. If your storage area has a concrete floor, and solid sides, you should be ok.

ray hampton
09-16-2014, 11:35 AM
stacks of lumber will attract spiders who build their webs

David Helm
09-16-2014, 11:48 AM
. . . and what's wrong with spiders?

ray hampton
09-16-2014, 2:41 PM
. . . and what's wrong with spiders?

nothing , GOD create the spiders and snakes as well as the mice that the snakes eat but they got their own bed away from my bed

Jim Matthews
09-16-2014, 8:53 PM
I have my lifetime supply of rough Cherry Lumber behind my house.

It's on a raised platform, stickers between layers and a loose
waterproof cover over the lot.

Before Winter starts, I need to dismantle the stack and
restack it, reversing the order of the stack (top for bottom).

Come Spring, I'll remove the waterproof wrapping to allow for
more air to circulate around the pile.

If you have kiln dried lumber, you could go straight to an open storage pile
with a waterproof cover on top.

Once it's dry, you don't want to trap air - lest condensation form on the surfaces and lead to mold.
Consider a portable Greenhouse kit, as a readymade solution.

I intend to let any piece I bring inside to acclimate for a week or two before I begin working with it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169921-best-way-to-store-kiln-dried-wood-outdoors-possible

Chris Padilla
09-17-2014, 2:47 PM
I have my lifetime supply of rough Cherry Lumber behind my house.

And I see that you don't list your location, Jim. Hmmmmmm...... ;)