PDA

View Full Version : what is a good check?

Wade Lippman
09-15-2014, 5:50 PM
I am going to an auction tomorrow; first one that hasn't taken credit cards. They want cash or a good check.
What is a good check?
Presumably one that won't bounce, but will they just take my word for that?

Brian Elfert
09-15-2014, 6:11 PM
Some auctions you have to back up a check with a letter from your bank that it is good or something like that. I haven't seen it described as a good check though.

Kevin Bourque
09-15-2014, 6:16 PM
Maybe a personal check rather than a business check?

Bill Orbine
09-15-2014, 6:38 PM
A letter from the bank or a Cashier's check... personal or business. Sometimes the auctioneers just take your check along with positive proof of ID, but don't bank on that for sure!.

That should be spelled out in the terms... if not, best to call and confirm.

Wade Lippman
09-15-2014, 8:17 PM
Not wanting to bring a bank check, I emailed the auctioneer.
"A good check is a check that I do not get back marked insufficient funds"

Steve Rozmiarek
09-15-2014, 9:22 PM
They do that here too, I suspect it's so they don't get some joker trying to pay for his $200,000 equipment purchase with a cabelas card, and the auctioneer paying all the fees.

Matt Day
09-15-2014, 9:58 PM
The auction I was at last week said the same thing. I paid with a personal check with no problem. No backup or anything.

Dave Anderson NH
09-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Back when I was a young Freshman college student in the fall of 1966 I went up to my school mountaineering lodge in North Woodstock NH. We went into town to Fadden's General store to pick up supplies and I wanted a couple of personal purchases beyond the capacity of the cash I had on me. I asked old Mr. Lester Fadden who was about 80 at the time and still over 6'6" if he'd take a check. He looked me straight in the eyes and said in the old fashioned NH accent (similar to Maine) "Are you good for it?" I said yes and asked him if he wanted any identification. He Said, "Nope, you said you're good for it." That kind of thing could never happen in today's world. It's one of my fonder memories.

Paul McGaha
09-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Back when I was a young Freshman college student in the fall of 1966 I went up to my school mountaineering lodge in North Woodstock NH. We went into town to Fadden's General store to pick up supplies and I wanted a couple of personal purchases beyond the capacity of the cash I had on me. I asked old Mr. Lester Fadden who was about 80 at the time and still over 6'6" if he'd take a check. He looked me straight in the eyes and said in the old fashioned NH accent (similar to Maine) "Are you good for it?" I said yes and asked him if he wanted any identification. He Said, "Nope, you said you're good for it." That kind of thing could never happen in today's world. It's one of my fonder memories.

Dave,

I think some people just know a straight shooter when they see one. Just have an eye for it.

PHM

Mike Henderson
09-16-2014, 3:01 PM
This is a bit off topic, but the local coffee shop I go to gives you a free cup of coffee on your birthday. On my birthday one year, I asked for the free cup. The gal gave it to me and I asked her if she wanted to see my driver's license to prove my birthday. Her reply was, "Do I need to?"

That got me to thinking. A person's word is a valuable possession.

Mike