PDA

View Full Version : Redmond Delta 14" bandsaw-worth it?

Allen Bookout
07-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks to Tim Morton I purchased the Redmond Delta 28-212R 14" bandsaw top, purchased the products to build the base and purchased the motor and switch to complete the project.

For anyone thinking about doing the same thing here is what I spent in rounded off numbers:

Bandsaw top $295
Freight $ 80
2 hp 1725rpm motor - Grizzly $250
Magnetic switch 220v 2hp $ 50
Height attachment (12 1/4" resaw capacity) $100
1 1/2" x 1/8" angle iron $ 20
welding rod $ 2
4 double locking casters (HD) mobile base $ 50
Matching 2 part urethane paint (automotive) $ 35
Misc. bolts, nuts, washers, hinges, latches ect. $ 50
Total $932

The unit seems to be rock solid. Plenty of power and capacity and runs smooth as silk. I am more than satisfied.
However I see that you can buy a Grizzly G0513 2hp 17" for almost identical dollars. The only advantage that I see with the Grizzly is that it has a couple of inches of extra capacity left of the blade. The advantages to the one that I built are that the built in mobile base is very, very strong and I can rotate it on a dime and also I wanted the magnetic switch since we have a lot of power interruptions here. Also I am just wondering if the Grizzly quality of the top equals the American made one. I have not compaired it to other brands and there may be better choices yet. So ----- is it worth it? Well, I just do not know.

The one thing that I did not include was my $1200 labor bill, but I am just going to donate that to myself. Others may not want to do so. This can also figure into any decision.

Here are some pictures of the building process and the final product.

By the way -----THANKS TIM!!!!

Mike Cutler
07-10-2005, 7:03 AM
Allen. That looks great. How does it perform with the 2HP motor?.

Tim Morton
07-10-2005, 8:05 AM
Looks Great Alan...I too "donated" the 1200 in labor...made it a sweeter pill to swallow IMO. In your calculations you forgot one thing...

.Made in the USA...priceless!!!

Allen Bookout
07-10-2005, 9:17 AM
Made in the USA-priceless. Good point Tim.

Mike - I do not have any material on hand right now to really push the saw to see what the 2hp will take without slowing down. Cannot really go out and get anything right now due to the heavy rain as hurricane "Dennis" goes roaring by. Right now I only have one v belt and am hoping that it will take the power without slipping. If not I may have to go to a two belt set up (I have not looked at other saws with 2hp but should do some research). I suspect that the set up will take all that the blades will take but have not verified that yet.

I just looked at the Grizzly parts list on line with a 2hp and it only uses one belt so may be I am OK.

Peter Mc Mahon
07-10-2005, 9:53 AM
Nice looking saw.The base metal work really catches my eye, looks completely professional. Peter