PDA

View Full Version : Reclaimed Lumber

Sean Troy
09-15-2014, 8:56 AM
My wife was at my daughters pole vault practice yesterday afternoon while I was playing around out in the shop and one of the kids dad's said to her, your husband likes wood working doesn't he? She said yes and he told her he was demoing a building that was built in the mid to late 1800's. Around here, that would probably be from the 1870's I believe. He asked her if she thought I would want some of the wood and a lot of it was around 3" thick. She told him I most certainly would and would tell me about it. I'll see and talk to him next week to set up a time for me to take a look. I wonder what type of wood that might be, he didn't know for sure she said. My wife even told me that if I get some and need a place to store it, I could use her side of the garage for storage while I figure out what to do with it. My truck doesn't fit in the garage so she and my daughter have their cars in it. So, would you take a metal detector with you or just grab what you could with this old wood and worry about that later? Anything I should look for if I'm going to get some of this old wood? Thanks, Sean

Mike Wilkins
09-15-2014, 9:27 AM
Bugs, metal, and lead paint. You have the right idea with the metal detector, as old rusty nails can sometimes be hard to remove. Just ask my planer blades!!!
The biggest concern for me would be bugs, like powder post beetles, termites; there may be others. Before taking them into my shop, soak them with some bug killer. I would suggest a kiln treatment, but good luck finding someone that will let you take this lumber into their kiln, due to the potential exposure.

Jim Mackell
09-15-2014, 9:28 AM
I'd bring it home and then denail it if necessary. Wish it was heppening in my neigborhood.

Sean Troy
09-15-2014, 9:33 AM
Bugs, metal, and lead paint. You have the right idea with the metal detector, as old rusty nails can sometimes be hard to remove. Just ask my planer blades!!!
The biggest concern for me would be bugs, like powder post beetles, termites; there may be others. Before taking them into my shop, soak them with some bug killer. I would suggest a kiln treatment, but good luck finding someone that will let you take this lumber into their kiln, due to the potential exposure.

You think with a good visual inspection, I could tell if bugs were present?

Yonak Hawkins
09-15-2014, 9:43 AM
So, would you take a metal detector with you or just grab what you could with this old wood and worry about that later?

I tend toward Jim, This is really a propriety question and not a woodworking question. I wouldn't pick through free lumber to decide what's worth taking, unless he invited me to do so. I would take all he's offering, none, or stop at a point, such as when my truck is full or when I figure I've run out of space to store it.

ray hampton
09-15-2014, 2:02 PM
what if this wood turn out to be chestnut ?

Jim Andrew
09-15-2014, 2:11 PM
If it is rough sawn, you could take a plane along and use it to identify the species. If you are worried about bugs, stack it on the driveway and cover with a tarp.

Richard N Elliott
09-15-2014, 2:39 PM

That was my first thought!

Sean Troy
09-15-2014, 3:05 PM
Probably about the same odds as winning the lottery. LOL

Mark Bolton
09-15-2014, 4:32 PM
I wouldnt go nit picking. I would agree with the replies that say take whatever you can haul and if you wind up with a load of junk you have plenty of material for your back yard weenie roasts.

For me personally my first picks would be thick stuff. Rafters, floor joists, timbers/beams. Leave the thin stuff til last and if you have room. The thin stuff is fine for small projects or stuff your going to leave rough but generally by the time you get it cleaned up and flat their isnt much left unless your going for rustic.

You'll likely know the instant you walk up to the piles if its anything you want to fool with.

A sharp utility knife in your pocket will let you pare off a few corners to see what the material is. If its a bunch of poplar or softwood you can run. Anything else, start loading.

Heck, even if you just took a half a truckload of anything you could make some neet stuff out of it.

ray hampton
09-15-2014, 4:45 PM
Probably about the same odds as winning the lottery. LOL

he better take the wood then BECAUSE one lotto player bought FOUR tickets for the same day [same number ] the ticket won , was you the winner , the hometown was Lexington KY

Tom M King
09-15-2014, 4:57 PM
Probably Heart Pine or White Oak. I use both milled from old timbers all the time. The remilled Heart Pine goes for 5 to 27 bucks a board foot. There are companies in all the Eastern States that buy these buildings just to disassemble them, and remill the lumber. Most of the good stuff is a little older than that, but theres most likely plenty of good stuff in it.

Sean Troy
09-15-2014, 6:00 PM
he better take the wood then BECAUSE one lotto player bought FOUR tickets for the same day [same number ] the ticket won , was you the winner , the hometown was Lexington KY
Not me. darn it...