PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Room Questions

eric burns
09-15-2014, 7:19 AM
This winter, I will start building an actual shop in my basement. I want to build a small room to house the dust collect and air compressor to reduce the amount of noise they both produce. The compressor is just a pancake style and the DC is an Oneida Cyclone. Are there any recommendations for room size? Do I have to worry about any overheating issues with the DC being basically in a closet? And finally, do I need to include any return air out of the closet back into the shop?

Thanks in advance

Rod Sheridan
09-15-2014, 9:33 AM
Hi, yes you will have to provide an outlet for the air to return to the shop.

I suggest that you use a pleated air filter, maybe a 16 X 20 inch size as the return air opening.

The motor will not overheat as you'll be exchanging hundreds or thousands of cubic metres of air per hour out of the cyclone room.............Rod.

eric burns
09-16-2014, 7:16 AM
Excellent. Are there any size considerations for the actual room or just don't make it too small where I can't fit in there. And any advice on material to use for sound deadening?

Thanks again

James Tibbetts
09-16-2014, 10:17 AM
HD has Homosote sound deadening. Fast and easy; not cheap @ about $27 a sheet. Fiberglass insul behind that if you want.

Steve Peterson
09-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Excellent. Are there any size considerations for the actual room or just don't make it too small where I can't fit in there. And any advice on material to use for sound deadening?

Thanks again

Install the dust collector first. Then build a closet around it using panels that can be taken down if you ever need to access the blower or filters. Have an easy to open access panel for the drum. The rest will rarely need to be accessed.

Steve

Ole Anderson
09-22-2014, 5:13 PM
Roxul safe-n-sound. Or, try this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-16-in-x-48-in-Denim-Insulation-Multi-Purpose-Roll-6-Pack-60306-16482/202710055?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202710055&ci_sku=202710055&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969&gclid=CNWhj6Le9cACFSpo7AodvXgA9Q#product_descripti on And make a somewhat circuitous exhaust route back to the shop to catch more of the sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X8qwMqm3Ek I like the idea of removable panels.