PDA

View Full Version : Displaying / Competing at the fair

Moses Yoder
09-14-2014, 5:46 AM
Our fair in St Joe county MI is late in the year; we entered stuff yesterday for the fair this week. My wife began competing in a "Home Arts" division with various stitching years ago and I stumbled into the antiques division and it has become an interesting little game. I normally take first in the division called "Hand Carpenter Tool". Last year I took a mint Yankee in the original box and did not place because the judge did not think the tool was over 50 years old, a requirement. This year I entered my dad's bit set in the hand tool division. The lady setting up the display asked me to take the original cardboard box home with me as it would not display well and I didn't argue with her, I was a little nervous about leaving it there. Here is the stuff I am displaying this year.

Front left is a coffee pot (missing the interior guts) I bought for a dollar at a garage sale. To the right of that is mom's warming stone I bought at our kid's auction this year, on top of that is an International Harvester wrench I got from my cousin Ben and an emery stone from a garage sale. In the back is the cream of the crop, dad's bit set with the original box and pamphlet, also from the auction. If I get firsts in each category I stand to win $15.