PDA

View Full Version : chest on a chest

Brett Robson
09-14-2014, 1:22 AM
So I finally dragged this project across the finish line. After nearly a year of pounding and cussing, this piece emerged from my shop last week.

It's a loose reproduction of a museum piece in, I believe, Colonial Williamsburg. While mine's certainly no professional reproduction, I'd say it's at least a fair facsimile of the original.

I build the piece just from a single photograph which I scaled up to the known dimensions of the original. Had I sought out more (or any) construction details rather than just puzzling my way through it would have made the build easier. I'll probably do just that in the unlikely event that I ever build another one of these!

It's made from cherry, poplar and cherry veneers. The finish is dye and garnet shellac - no oil on this one as the wood didn't have much figure.

As there's no finding a monster slab of 12/4 cherry here in Colorado and spending $10,000 on a huge slab of mahogany is out of the question, I built the sides from a big glue up (a workbench top style glue up) of 8/4 poplar which I shaped to the bombe shape then veneered over with cherry veneer.

I read somewhere veneering over lesser woods was a common European technique of making bombe sides in the 18th C. so I didn't feel too guilty using that technique on mine as opposed to shaping them from some giant slab of solid hardwood.

The bottom three drawers were the hardest part of the entire build. I made attempt after attempt to get the compound angles correct on the drawers. I started with the side and front of the bottom drawer cut about 8" too long to give me room to cut off the dovetails and start over in the event I didn't get it right.

Well, it look many attempts to get it right and I used every bit of that extra length in the process! There were a few moments during the drawer construction that I had serious doubts whether I'd be able to pull off this build!

fortunately I eventually figured it out and the rest of the build went reasonably smooth.

I took a few pictures along the way which I uploaded in a simple slideshow on youtube, if you're curious. I didn't take enough pictures to really be any kind of how-to, but at least you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYB29fo2WyE&list=UUfU8cx6U0-FK7psdgNepoVw

Sorry for the poor quality phone pictures. I have a better camera coming soon and I'll add some hopefully better pictures when I can.

Comments and/or criticizm is welcomed, as always!

Andrew Kertesz
09-14-2014, 7:29 AM
Great looking piece!!! What are you going to do for an encore?

Brett Robson
09-14-2014, 7:45 AM
What are you going to do for an encore?

Hmmm...I have been needing a new push stick! :)

lowell holmes
09-14-2014, 8:07 AM
I'm blown away.

Very nice project. You have a right to be proud of it!

glenn bradley
09-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Beautifully done.

Yonak Hawkins
09-14-2014, 11:01 AM
That's a beautiful piece of furniture. There's a lot of work there. It's excellently thought out and executed. Congratulations !

Mel Fulks
09-14-2014, 11:14 AM
A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Im guessing it was a tougher project than the video presents...but saving those instructions!

Paul Murphy
09-14-2014, 1:27 PM
Outstanding! I think your veneer sides on the bottom chest look great. The overall design is so well integrated, the two chests enhance each other.

joe valsi
09-15-2014, 9:17 AM
Great job !! Love those dovetails, I congratulate you on such fine craftsmanship !!

Al Launier
09-15-2014, 9:49 AM
Absolutely incredible! What talent! How can you live with yourself? You must be bursting at the seams with pride. Simply gorgeous! Can't say enough! Something I could only dream about!

George Bokros
09-15-2014, 9:59 AM
Just beautiful. Only problem is you won 't ship it to me.

Jim Becker
09-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Wow...wonderful work!

Brett Robson
09-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm happy I'm not the only one who likes it!

Mike Henderson
09-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Beautiful work. Congratulations!

Mike

Robert LaPlaca
09-16-2014, 3:34 PM
Brett, congratulations on the bombe chest on chest build.

Gus Dundon
09-16-2014, 4:59 PM
Well thought out design and wood selection and the craftsmanship execution are perfect.

Jim Matthews
09-16-2014, 8:57 PM
You're talented, skilled and determined.

How I hate you.
(Bet you've still got all your hair, too.)
Kudos

Pat Barry
09-17-2014, 1:15 PM
Sweet job on this project! I'm sure that will become a prized possession for many generations. Simply beautiful work!

Bill Gugel
09-19-2014, 5:38 PM
Wow! That is a beauty. With the compound angles I understand the cussing.

Allen Jordan
09-21-2014, 1:44 PM
That is an amazingly complicated piece that came out beautifully. I liked the use of hand tools in your video... those compound angle dovetails look complicated as crap. Which planes did you use to achieve the side and drawer contours?

Evan Patton
09-21-2014, 2:47 PM
Stunning. A very challenging design nicely executed. Great job!

Brett Robson
09-21-2014, 11:15 PM
That is an amazingly complicated piece that came out beautifully. I liked the use of hand tools in your video... those compound angle dovetails look complicated as crap. Which planes did you use to achieve the side and drawer contours?

Hi Allen

First after using the table saw to remove the bulk of the waste, I used a scorp to hog off the little steps the dado blade left. Next I used my #10 jack rabbet to bring the convex curves in line with the patterns clamped on both sides of the blank.

For the concave curves, I used the scorp and spokeshaves to fair the curves, followed by card scrapers and finally a little sanding.

It was time consuming but not terribly difficult to shape the sides. I just worked slowly and continued to check my progress with a straightedge laying it across the patterns to see when I had removed enough material.

The drawer sides were easier to shape. I made a pattern of the contour of the inside of the case the full height of each drawer opening, then traced that contour onto the sides and planed the waste away with my #5, followed by a smoother.

The second drawer down on the bottom chest has sides and front that have an inside (concave) curve. That one I had to shape using a large round plane to plane the long hollow, then work it down with a round bottom spokeshave before scraping and sanding.

The drawer fronts were pretty easy. After assembly, I stuck them in their openings and traced the side contour onto their edge and planed away the waste.

The compound angle dovetails were a pain. After I had made several botched attempts, I finally figured out the process but it was still pretty challenging. I had to make the pins wider than I like to as the angle made then run across the grain. I broke several of them in the process and had to start over with wider pins.

Thanks for the comments!