PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Four Bag Dust Collector

Kelly Craig
09-13-2014, 9:53 PM
I have an older Jet 3hp, four bag system. I swapped the stock bags on top for 1 micron bags and the bottom ones for plastic bags. I was considering using some heavy duty plastic drums to replace the bottom, plastic bags. Has anyone done such on their system?

I have a Super Dust Deputy and mounted it on one of these plastic drums, after cutting the lid off and installing a good sized plexi view port, and it works like a champ. I am considering doing the same with my four bagger, but I'd secure nylon to the top of the drum and use it (about a 12" sleeve) to join the drum to the collector.

I had a Oneida 3hp cyclone with a canister and a cardboard collector, so I know it's done, but that unit only had an eight inch flex hose to the metal topped container.

Kelly Craig
09-13-2014, 10:04 PM
For those interested, I just found one hit: http://www.woodcraft.com/articles/articles.aspx?articleid=281&page=1

J.R. Rutter
09-14-2014, 12:18 AM
Fabric sleeve to drum is widely used in the wood industry. If you want your dust in drums, then I don't see any issue with it other than monitoring the fill level. I personally stuck with plastic bags on my non-cyclone system because it is hooked to the widebelt and just collects fines. The less that stuff has a chance to become airborne the better. For chips, a drum is better, imho, because the volume builds up faster.