PDA

View Full Version : I need some shop layout/tool capacity advice.

Mark Burnette
09-13-2014, 12:20 PM
The attached photo shows my table saw/shaper setup. They share the 52" fence. I feel it would be very handy to have a router extension to the left of my table saw for quickie jobs. The Excaliber cast iron extension wing would be perfect for this but at 16" wide replacing the 8" wing I would have to move my saw 8" to the right for the fence rails to leave adequate space to the wall. I can cut 8" out of the white spacer between the machines to accomplish this. That would decrease my rip capacity to 44" and I'm not sure if I would regret that over time. I don't have the floor space to just move both machines 8" right.
I'd like you all to weigh in on this idea with your opinions & whether I've missed anything in my pro/con assessment.

Pros:
Sharing fence/guards/stock feeder/dust collection without reconfiguring anything.
Unifence is very quick to setup for simple non-plunged cuts.
Adds a 2nd router table for sequential setups.

Cons:
Router in the way of saw tilt wheel. Reach-around is slower than spinning the handle. Can't read tilt scale.
Moving saw 8" closer to shaper increases frequency of saw fence interference with shaper fence.
Fence rail could actually be in the way of clamping fixtures to router table.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u273/guy48065/Shop/UniShaper_zps23d7761d.jpg

\

stevo wis
09-13-2014, 1:23 PM
Mark,
Is it possible to mount your router underneath your outfield table or in the corner where the right side of the outfeed meets the table saw?
I like your saw/shaper setup. I was thinking about adding a second table saw in that configuration but I never thought of putting the shaper there.
Stevo

George Bokros
09-13-2014, 1:33 PM
The attached photo shows my table saw/shaper setup. They share the 52" fence. I feel it would be very handy to have a router extension to the left of my table saw for quickie jobs. T would have to move my saw 8" to the right for the fence rails to leave adequate space to the wall.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u273/guy48065/Shop/UniShaper_zps23d7761d.jpg

\

I do not see how the shaper and table saw share the 52" fence. It appears that the shaper has its own fence. I also do not see a table saw extension to the left of the saw blade, it looks to me like that is the actual saw table to the left of the blade. The joint of the extension and saw table must be virtually invisible.

Rick Moyer
09-13-2014, 3:20 PM
Mark,
Is it possible to mount your router underneath your outfield table or in the corner where the right side of the outfeed meets the table saw?

Stevo

I was thinking this, too ^^, only on the right side of the back of the table saw.
You could make a MDF throw-on saddle extension for your fence that would reach far enough for the router when needed.

Mike Heidrick
09-13-2014, 7:51 PM
Just build an 8" space for the fence you attach for teh router table. You will want it semi spit and adjustable in an dout and front and back anyway plus add an elevated piece of ply in the rear of the fence upright on that space between the two haves that has a hole in it for a dust hose and capture dust above at the fence.

Mark Burnette
09-14-2014, 12:00 PM
The only reason I'm considering going to the trouble of moving machines and limiting access to the tilt adjustment is for the payoff of simply sliding the fence over to the router wIthout needing to add extensions, flipping it to the Right side, etc.

Maybe I should just replace the shaper's 8" extension. I have more room on that side. Fence rails might not be long enough to be able to use the Unifence, though.

Joseph Spallina
11-27-2014, 9:03 PM
I have virtually the same setup you're going for. Not sure if you're willing, but I accomplished it by rotating the shaper 180 degrees and replacing the shaper extension wing that is currently butted against your table saw with the one from excalibur (mine was from General but I think it's the same wing). I have full access to the router, since it is now in the outermost wing of the setup. Another advantage is that, with the miter slot on the table saw side of the spindle, i'm able to support long pieces when coping, or doing the end of a large panel.