PDA

View Full Version : Router Crafter

Al Launier
09-13-2014, 8:28 AM
Years back, say around 35-40, I bought a Sears "Router Crafter" to use with my Craftsman router. Although I tried to make a spindle (for practice) with spiral flutes my patience (lack of) won out. I gave up on it & it has followed me to five different homes, each time resting comfortably on a shelf gathering dust. I suspect the dust may now weigh more than the Router Crafter itself. Anyway, now that winter is approaching there is this thought floating around the recesses of my mind suggesting that I give it another try. Unfortunately my recollection tells me that it's an obsolete tool & that it's not worth the trouble. So, I'm wondering if any of you might have one, or experience with one & your thoughts about it.

Cary Falk
09-13-2014, 9:34 AM
I bought one last month on CL for $25. At some point and time I will give it a whirl. If you lost the instructions, let me know.

eugene thomas
09-13-2014, 10:29 AM
I had one that followed me around for years then posted Craigs list add and someone few states over wanted it and it was gone.

HANK METZ
09-13-2014, 10:38 AM
This is a great resale item; I got rid of mine years ago after studying the "manual" at length, and deciding I really didn't need scrollwork on my furniture legs after all. Cashed out for what I paid, so I consider that a "win". and still no scrolled legs to this day.

william watts
09-13-2014, 6:27 PM
My dad had one for years, then gave it to me. I had it for years then gave it away. I remember reading the instruction manual and never got any further. It took patience and careful set up. Instant gratification is my preference.

Lee Schierer
09-13-2014, 6:32 PM
I have one that hasn't been used in years. When I first purchased it, I made a number of fancy turnings, a few lamps and handles for things. I soon learned that the contours were pretty much limited to the available profiles that router bits without pilot bearings came in. Diameter was limited to about 3" maybe 4 if you could rough round your piece of stock before putting in the crafter. I noted several years ago that the plastic pullies were degraded by UV exposure and had failed. I had a friend make some replacements out of aluminum, but still haven't used it much.

Myk Rian
09-13-2014, 8:36 PM
I got one a couple years ago at a garage sale. $5. Haven't used it yet.
They go on the *Bay for over $100 quite regularly. I keep thinkin, "Just maybe".

Tom Giacomo
09-13-2014, 10:32 PM
I have a brand new one purchased in 1993 still in the original box never used. Thought I would use it but never did.

Scott Kuykendall
09-14-2014, 9:55 AM
I bought one a few years ago and played around with it and you can make some interesting stuff with one. I have the manual, templates and some other info on using one if anyone is interested they can email me and I will send the info to you.
Scott
kuykendall63@gmail.com

Al Launier
09-19-2014, 8:01 AM
I bought one last month on CL for $25. At some point and time I will give it a whirl. If you lost the instructions, let me know.

Cary,
I just caught up with these posts. Actually I no longer have the manual. Do you have an extra? I think I might give the Router Crafter another go to see if I like it.

Cary Falk
09-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Al,
PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a scanned copy.
Cary

Charlie Kocourek
09-19-2014, 11:59 PM
I have one on a shelf in my garage. A guy was giving it away at one of our local Guild meetings. I gave him about $35 for it because he included an old Craftsman router and it looked too nice to accept for free.

I have never used it! :p

HANK METZ
09-20-2014, 8:15 AM
The things have literally become "shelf art" unto themselves. :)

Note to "collectors" of this art genre; more valuable if it is unused and has the original carton. :D

Cary Falk
09-20-2014, 9:22 AM
The things have literally become "shelf art" unto themselves. :)

Note to "collectors" of this art genre; more valuable if it is unused and has the original carton. :D

"Mint is Box" is only valid if it has not been open. Sorry, you might as well use it because at this point it won't change the value. :D

Vince Shriver
09-20-2014, 11:50 AM
I have a brand new one purchased in 1993 still in the original box never used. Thought I would use it but never did.

Got a good chuckle from these postings. Kind of like the info-mecials for fish lures that are designed to catch fishermen, rather than fish. I know about those, I have a tackle box full of them I keep right next to my "Flobee" on the very top shelf.