PDA

View Full Version : Incident with MJ Splitter

Jim DeLaney
07-09-2005, 8:09 PM
I encountered an interesting problem with the MicroJig splitter. I was sawing a piece of what turned out to be 'reaction wood.' The board sprung inward beyond the cut, closing the kerf and pinching the MJ splitter. It pulled the splitter right out of the insert.

Now, actually, the splitter did do its job, by holding the kerf open, but the problem is that the legs on the splitter are deformed and it will no longer stay in the insert, so I need to get another one.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Since I also have the Delta splitter, I think I'll give up on the MJ and just use the Delta exclusively.

The main use for the MJ is that it's more compatible with their push blocks. I'm thinking I'll just make a short version of the Delta (sans pawls) out of aluminum, and use that with the MJ push blocks.

Mark Singer
07-09-2005, 8:13 PM
Same kinda thing...if it crimps the splitter the legs bend
I encountered an interesting problem with the MicroJig splitter. I was sawing a piece of what turned out to be 'reaction wood.' The board sprung inward beyond the cut, closing the kerf and pinching the MJ splitter. It pulled the splitter right out of the insert.

Now, actually, the splitter did do its job, by holding the kerf open, but the problem is that the legs on the splitter are deformed and it will no longer stay in the insert, so I need to get another one.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Since I also have the Delta splitter, I think I'll give up on the MJ and just use the Delta exclusively.

The main use for the MJ is that it's more compatible with their push blocks. I'm thinking I'll just make a short version of the Delta (sans pawls) out of aluminum, and use that with the MJ push blocks.

Richard Wolf
07-09-2005, 8:23 PM
First time I used mine, I was ripping 8/4 oak and it took the splitter right out of the insert. It didn't deform the splitter, but I'm not sure it's as heavy duty as we would like to think.

Richard

Jamie Buxton
07-09-2005, 8:56 PM
Hmmmm. That's three out of three. Does anybody have a contact at Microjig? I'll bet they'd really like to hear about real-world experience.

Tim Morton
07-09-2005, 9:02 PM
its the whole "rocks, paper, scissors" thing...wood breaks plastic, so I went with the delta spliter.:D

Marc Ward
07-09-2005, 9:03 PM
Hmmmm. That's three out of three. <SNIP>
Four out of four. Happens to me all the time. No matter which splitter, no matter the "setting"...I don't use it anymore.

Dennis Peacock
07-09-2005, 9:05 PM
Hmmmm. That's three out of three. Does anybody have a contact at Microjig? I'll bet they'd really like to hear about real-world experience.

Jamie,

I'm emailing MJ now since I have a contact with the owner of MJ. Let's see what he has to say about all this.

Joe Unni
07-09-2005, 9:21 PM
Just received the Delta splitter, but I forgot where the instructions were posted here. Any ideas?

-joe

Tim Morton
07-09-2005, 9:33 PM
Just received the Delta splitter, but I forgot where the instructions were posted here. Any ideas?

-joe

http://www.biesemeyer.com/print/safety/Blade%20guard%20manual.pdf

Frank Pellow
07-09-2005, 9:36 PM
It has happened to me too. But it has only happened a couple of times and my guess is that I have made between 300 and 500 cuts using the splitter. In the splitter did not appear to be deformed as a result.

Joe Meazle
07-09-2005, 9:38 PM
Same thing has happened with mine but it still prevented the kickback. I was able to use mine again.

Joe

Corey Hallagan
07-09-2005, 9:39 PM
Joe, here is the link. I think pages 6,7 & 8.

Corey

http://www.biesemeyer.com/print/safety/Blade%20guard%20manual.pdf

George Summers
07-09-2005, 9:51 PM
Happens to me occasionally but I just bend the legs back straight, reinsert it, and keep going. Hasn't seemed to hurt it or keep it from doing its job.

George

Chris Padilla
07-09-2005, 9:56 PM
I have a dedicated throat plate for the MJ splitter...just epoxied the sucker in there...no problems! :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19664 shows what I do but just with the MJ splitter instead of the pin.

Steve Clardy
07-09-2005, 10:31 PM
That happened to mine. It ripped the legs right off when I forced the board on through. I have since learned, when it pinches, insert something into the kerf forward of the splitter insert.
I got in contact with Henry from Microjig a couple of months ago and told him what happened. He sent me some new inserts.
I keep a long shank screwdriver there handy to poke in the kerf if I think I'm going to have one of those problem boards.
Steve

Joe Unni
07-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Thanks Tim and Corey.

-joe

Andy London
07-10-2005, 7:19 AM
Happened to me also while ripping some Wenge, I was not a happy camper at the time as I had just finished installing it and I took way to much time for the task....In my case it skewed the plastic legs so bad that they would not go back to the right shape and I haven't got around to installing something else......back to using the board buddies, which work great but I find they get in the way a lot, probably because I an ripping stock that is generally 1 1/2" wide....

Dave Falkenstein
07-10-2005, 10:48 AM
This thread makes me happy that I have a Biesemeyer splitter. Smile.

Jim DeLaney
07-10-2005, 11:05 AM
This thread makes me happy that I have a Biesemeyer splitter. Smile.

Yeah, like I said earlier, I also have the Delta splitter, which I use nearly all the time anyway. I do plan to make a lower piece,for it so I can use the Gripper if I need to.

I generally only use the Gripper when I'm ripping very narrow pieces anyway, so the Delta is on the saw about 90+% of the time.

I'm thinking the MJ splitter would be a better idea if it were more substantial - like maybe made of metal, with threaded legs that could go completely through the insert and have washers and nuts installed on the underside. The soft plastic just isn't substantial enough.

Frank Pellow
07-10-2005, 11:08 AM

I'm thinking the MJ splitter would be a better idea if it were more substantial - like maybe made of metal, with threaded legs that could go completely through the insert and have washers and nuts installed on the underside. The soft plastic just isn't substantial enough.
That's a good idea. I still like my plastic MJ Splitter, but I would buy a metal one as well if they were to produce and sell one.

Mark Singer
07-10-2005, 11:13 AM
That is an excellent idea as is Jamie's pin and flip plate!
I have a dedicated throat plate for the MJ splitter...just epoxied the sucker in there...no problems! :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19664 shows what I do but just with the MJ splitter instead of the pin.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Mine's legs broke off the first time I used it. never thought of epoxy....now I have another project to do...good suggestion Chris!!!

Chris Padilla
07-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Those of you wishing to epoxy the MJ splitter in, I would suggest making a slight groove for the splitter to sit in...gives a bit more body and adds strength to the splitter.

Bill Esposito
07-10-2005, 8:33 PM
Some splitters are too tall, some are too short. Some are too far from the blade, others are not.

I have a Biesemeyer splitter that I use for long boards and panels, the MJ splitters are set up close to the blade for <1" material and when I'm using the GRR-Rippers.

Short of a riving knife I dont think that there is any one splitter for every job.