PDA

View Full Version : Bearing help needed

Sean Troy
09-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Hey all, I've been searching and searching for a certain bearing for my Jet roller bearing guides on my bandsaw. I can't find them anywhere and Jet has been no help. The number on the bearing is 608ZC2. Anyone have any idea where I can look? I need a set of 10. Thanks for any help, Sean

Cary Falk
09-12-2014, 11:03 PM
I am not sure what the ZC2 stands for but the 608zz have the same dimension 8mm,22mm,7mm and should work fine.
http://www.amazon.com/VXB-Skateboard-Bearings-Double-Shielded/dp/B002BBGTK6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TFFTN05MVMFV6ZGP87A

Edit to add. the ZZ means shielded. You probably want sealed for more dust protection. That would be the 608-2RS.
http://www.amazon.com/608-2RS-Skateboard-Bearing-8x22x7-Sealed/dp/B0045F2NHO/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1410578029&sr=1-2&keywords=608-2rs

James Tibbetts
09-12-2014, 11:16 PM
This will do it: http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/608ZZ10
Really fast service too.

Sean Troy
09-12-2014, 11:30 PM
You guys are awesome! thanks

Bill Orbine
09-12-2014, 11:36 PM
McMaster-Carr has the 608 size.
The suffix ZC2 is probably specific to the brand....therefore if you know the brand, you could probably google up the chart of suffixes and prefixes. It also could mean Z for metal shield, and C2 for a specific tolerance but that might not be right because usually the C is follow by 2 numbers. Just hunching here.

Edit: Following my hunch... here's a link to NTN site concerning this bearing: http://www.ntnamericas.com/en/products/bearing-search/bearing-search-results/datasheet?pid=2574&cid=RBMBB&ctc=B

David Kumm
09-13-2014, 12:24 AM
C2 means tighter than normal clearance between the balls and the races. Should be irrelevant in your application. Z usually means only one shield. Shielded will spin more freely and handle a little higher rpm than sealed. Dave

Jerome Stanek
09-13-2014, 7:51 AM
I have bought from this seller and was pleased with the transaction. The bearings were just as good as the original and lasted the same length of time and they were way less expensive then Mcmaster Carr like $40.00 less and their shipping is $4.80 for 1 or 10 I see they are $1.03 a piece for 608 2rs or 608 zz

His Ebay seller name is ultimateindsolutions
http://www.ebay.com/itm/608-ZZ-Double-Shielded-Bearing-8mm-x-22mm-x-7mm-/160501375620?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item255

Sean Troy
09-13-2014, 10:38 AM
C2 means tighter than normal clearance between the balls and the races. Should be irrelevant in your application. Z usually means only one shield. Shielded will spin more freely and handle a little higher rpm than sealed. Dave

David is correct. I looked it up once I found the manufacturer is TPI. thanks, Sean

Matt Day
09-13-2014, 11:05 AM
If you want it quickly, check your local Fastenal.

Cary Falk
09-13-2014, 11:56 AM
since they are skateboard bearings you might try looking at your local skateboard shop also if you need them now.

Sean Troy
09-13-2014, 1:01 PM
I found them locally. Surprising being this is a small town but the bearing place here wanted 81.00 and some change for the 10 of them plus 2 replacement bearings for the original guides. I about soiled myself when he told me the price but said no thank you instead. I'll order them online.

Tom Giacomo
09-13-2014, 10:48 PM
JBS bearings, free shipping and good prices.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-14-2014, 11:53 AM
I found them locally. Surprising being this is a small town but the bearing place here wanted 81.00 and some change for the 10 of them plus 2 replacement bearings for the original guides. I about soiled myself when he told me the price but said no thank you instead. I'll order them online.

$81 is bad for 12 bearings?

Phil Barrett
09-14-2014, 1:37 PM
vs $17 shipped?

Sean Troy
09-14-2014, 1:42 PM
$81 is bad for 12 bearings?
I'm sure your kidding, right? I could have bought an 8 pack of the exact same bearings for 12.00 at a local skateboard shop. Or, order a set of 10 for 16.00 and free shipping from Ebay. All three the exact same bearing, # and brand.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-14-2014, 7:07 PM
Any bearing that cheap, is likely junk. If cheap bearings and the inevitable problems associated with such are ok in this application though, save the money. My personal take is that life is too short for cheap bearings though.

Sean Troy
09-14-2014, 7:38 PM
Any bearing that cheap, is likely junk. If cheap bearings and the inevitable problems associated with such are ok in this application though, save the money. My personal take is that life is too short for cheap bearings though.
Why would the exact same bearing have that much price difference?

Jerome Stanek
09-15-2014, 7:25 AM
Why would the exact same bearing have that much price difference?

Just like HDMI cables you can get one for a few dollars at one store or buy one for $75 from BestBuy they meet the same industry specs. Or generic drugs both work the same but big difference in price. On my mower the bearing that come from the dealer last about 5 years the ones I bought from Ebay only lasted 6 years the difference was $100 and they lasted longer. So it worked out that the name brand cost me $30 a year and the cheap ones cost $4 a year.

Sean Troy
09-15-2014, 8:34 AM
Just like HDMI cables you can get one for a few dollars at one store or buy one for $75 from BestBuy they meet the same industry specs. Or generic drugs both work the same but big difference in price. On my mower the bearing that come from the dealer last about 5 years the ones I bought from Ebay only lasted 6 years the difference was $100 and they lasted longer. So it worked out that the name brand cost me $30 a year and the cheap ones cost $4 a year.
For me, as little as I paid, I don't mind replacing when needed. The original set I had in the saw lasted over 10 years and were shielded on one side. new ones coming are double shielded. Time will tell. Thanks Jerome.

David Kumm
09-15-2014, 9:18 AM
Quality isn't much of an issue in that application. When you get to spindle bearings it is a whole different story. While bearing quality has gotten better, the use of maintenance sealed or shielded lighter duty bearings in place of heavier open has turned bearings from lifetime to quite limited life components. Dave

Steve Rozmiarek
09-15-2014, 9:30 AM
Cheap bearings are made cheaply. The price shouldn't be that different between two sources though. The cheaper cheap ones probably came from stock of a business closing or something, the others from a stock order through normal channels.

By cheap bearings, I'm talking about the cheaply made, usually chinese, sometimes pakastani, african, or other, that has no technological expertise. They are made to be cheap, because that's the price point. Bearings are not infinitely replaceable. They fit via an interference fit into the hub, and onto the shaft. IF those specs are even slightly wrong, it can gall, or wear those critical surfaces incorrectly, causing the whole mechanism to fail prematurely. In my opinion, it is always worth the extra cost to spec a quality bearing, and never shop for price alone. As a general rule, US made is best, Timken, Fafnir, followed closely by the Japanese manufactures.

If those super cheap bearings came from a closed store, do you suppose they could have been stored wrong and have rust internally? Good bearing suppliers have to take care of their inventory, which costs some too. There is no free lunch.

All that being said, it's your choice, best of luck.

Dan Hunkele
09-15-2014, 9:31 AM
Local bearing houses inherently charge premium prices for the have it now experience. Businesses gladly pay it.

John Lanciani
09-15-2014, 9:59 AM
Cheap bearings are made cheaply. The price shouldn't be that different between two sources though. The cheaper cheap ones probably came from stock of a business closing or something, the others from a stock order through normal channels.

By cheap bearings, I'm talking about the cheaply made, usually chinese, sometimes pakastani, african, or other, that has no technological expertise. They are made to be cheap, because that's the price point. Bearings are not infinitely replaceable. They fit via an interference fit into the hub, and onto the shaft. IF those specs are even slightly wrong, it can gall, or wear those critical surfaces incorrectly, causing the whole mechanism to fail prematurely. In my opinion, it is always worth the extra cost to spec a quality bearing, and never shop for price alone. As a general rule, US made is best, Timken, Fafnir, followed closely by the Japanese manufactures.

If those super cheap bearings came from a closed store, do you suppose they could have been stored wrong and have rust internally? Good bearing suppliers have to take care of their inventory, which costs some too. There is no free lunch.

All that being said, it's your choice, best of luck.

The OP is looking for bearings for the blade guides on a bandsaw, not mission critical stuff. If ever there was an application for going cheap this is it.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-15-2014, 10:03 AM
The OP is looking for bearings for the blade guides on a bandsaw, not mission critical stuff. If ever there was an application for going cheap this is it.

Sure, I'm just putting info out there, most need better specs.

Steve Peterson
09-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Considering that they are a standard size skate bearing, there are many choices regarding price vs quality. You should be able to find them anywhere between $10 and $100 per set of 8.

Steve