PDA

View Full Version : Baby Boxes - Pics

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-25-2003, 7:47 PM
Well, because Mother Nature decided we needed more rain yesterday, I got more done in the shop than I thought I would. I manage to turn the sadness of losing my Uncle Bill into something productive, in memory of him. I will be giving these little boxes to my Aunt.........kind of tribute to my Uncle. I hope she likes them, it was a little harder to concentrate than usual, but I mangaged to work safely. These will be finished with Tung Oil and Waxed, they have one coat on them now. The box attached to this post is Cherry, with Padauk inlay, and the lid is a recessed lift off. As you can see, Box Joint construction. The Box is 5" x 5" x 3 1/2" tall. It was fun to make, and under the circumstances, it turned out well. Thanks for the support, prayers, kind words, and friendship..........you can be assured it is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to look. :)

Tom Sweeney
05-25-2003, 9:45 PM
They turned out beautiful. I especially like the Padauk inlays.

I spent the weekend in therapy ;) I worked on turning a very large maple tree into very small pieces. Unfortunately the therapy did not work yesterday as I was fighting a losing battle with my little echo chainsaw. I did get some stunning small pieces - spalted and figured maple - that I will be attempting to make into small boxes like yours. I ran a few pieces through the planer just to see what it looked like & it's very nice.

(stealth gloat warning)

Today I gave it another go but got frustrated - went to the Borg to rent a chainsaw but ended up buying one instead. No way I could afford a Stihl or Husky though. They had a Poulan 18" bar 40cc (I think) for $136 so I bought it. I figured for a few bucks more than the price of a 2 day rental I have a decent new tool. Brought it home & it worked wonderfully. A little underpowered but very useable.

Next step, after doing a much needed shop cleanup, is to make a small box for my Aunt. Thanks for showing yours - gives me the motivation to give it a shot.

John Miliunas
05-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Good job, Kevin! Especially under the additional stress you must be under. I'm sure your aunt will love it and any others you come up with. Looks like I'm gonna' have to give it a shot one of these days myself! No, not saying it'll come out as nice as yours, but it's something to shoot for. Take care! :cool:

Ken Wright
05-26-2003, 7:33 AM
particularly like the lid .... nice job on that.

Sorry to see your reference to losing your Uncle... I must have missed that post.