PDA

View Full Version : My Mother retiring after playing piano at church for 68 years

Tom M King
09-12-2014, 5:48 PM
She's quite capable of carrying on, but wants to give the young ones "a chance to do something". In this case, the young ones are in their sixties and seventies. She says she'll continue to sing lead Soprano in the Choir until someone else can do it. She's 98.

Bruce Page
09-12-2014, 5:54 PM
She sounds like quite a lady.

Chris Padilla
09-12-2014, 6:32 PM
I hope I'm that lucid and healthy in my 80s!!! Fantastic!

Phil Thien
09-12-2014, 6:39 PM
I hope I'm that lucid and healthy in my 80s!!! Fantastic!

I'd take the 60's, they're fast approaching and my mind is going to carp.

Greg R Bradley
09-12-2014, 7:46 PM
I'd take the 60's, they're fast approaching and my mind is going to carp.

If it has gone to carp, I'd say you are already in trouble. You would need to rearrange the letters to explain where mine is going.

ray hampton
09-13-2014, 1:35 PM
this mother of your are amazing

Jim Becker
09-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Don't cross that lady, Tom...she sounds pretty feisty! (And bravo to her for accepting the responsibility for that important contribution for so many years)

Chuck Wintle
09-15-2014, 10:22 AM
She's quite capable of carrying on, but wants to give the young ones "a chance to do something". In this case, the young ones are in their sixties and seventies. She says she'll continue to sing lead Soprano in the Choir until someone else can do it. She's 98.

Wow i hope when i get to 98, a big if, that i am still coherent. When I see my parents i start to wonder.

Tom M King
09-15-2014, 12:30 PM
They had a nice little celebration for her this Sunday. They told her that she wouldn't ever be allowed to retire from baking cakes and pies. When they have meals, she never has anything to take home but empty plates. One of the members is in the hospital with what is probably terminal cancer. When asked what he would like to have, he said a piece of Mrs. King's pecan pie. She carried a pie to church Sunday to send to him, and it was much more important to her that he get that pie than anything else that happened that day.

Jim Becker
09-15-2014, 7:27 PM
They had a nice little celebration for her this Sunday. They told her that she wouldn't ever be allowed to retire from baking cakes and pies. When they have meals, she never has anything to take home but empty plates. One of the members is in the hospital with what is probably terminal cancer. When asked what he would like to have, he said a piece of Mrs. King's pecan pie. She carried a pie to church Sunday to send to him, and it was much more important to her that he get that pie than anything else that happened that day.

What a great lady!

Kent A Bathurst
09-16-2014, 6:47 PM
What a great lady!

Ditto. Please tell her that a gang of woodworkers you converse with are all wishing her well.

I would reasonably expect that you could tell us other intriguing stories, events from her rich life, etc. She was born in the middle of WW I, and has seen a remarkable change in the world. Has she always live in that part of NC?

Anything you care to share would be wonderful to read.