PDA

View Full Version : Spiers bullnose plane question

Brian Ashton
09-12-2014, 1:38 PM
Been looking at what is said is a spires bullnose plane. It has spiers stamped on the front... Problem is I can't recall ever seeing a spiers brass bullnose plane with spiers stamped on the front. Can anyone tell me if they ever did.

Cheers

Bill Moser
09-13-2014, 8:05 AM
Brian -
the catalogs I have list bullnose planes in dovetailed steel, gunmetal, and cast iron -- no brass. Maybe yours is actually gunmetal? From the pics in the Lamport book, least some of those have :
SPIERS
AYR
stamped on the front

David Weaver
09-13-2014, 11:03 AM
Bill, do most of the ones in your book have something stamped on the side also? The slater and norris bullnose planes have plain sides and a maker's mark stamped on the front, but I haven't seen a spiers bullnose plane that didn't have some company writing on the side. I haven't looked at many, though.

Bill Moser
09-13-2014, 1:33 PM
Bill, do most of the ones in your book have something stamped on the side also? The slater and norris bullnose planes have plain sides and a maker's mark stamped on the front, but I haven't seen a spiers bullnose plane that didn't have some company writing on the side. I haven't looked at many, though.

There are photos with and without the side reliefs. It looks like the cast versions have the side reliefs, and the dovetailed ones are unmarked on the sides (which makes sense)

David Weaver
09-13-2014, 4:19 PM
Yes, makes sense. Stamping was a bad term for me to use for those casted details.

Brian Ashton
09-14-2014, 6:46 AM
That's great. Cheers Guys.

Derek Cohen
09-14-2014, 8:08 AM
Hi Brian

I'd also argue for gunmetal if there is a stamp.

Here is a Slater with the stamp on top. This is a classic design ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestorations/SlaterBullnoseRestoration_html_6b6db2a3.jpg

I found one that needed total restoration (it was a paperweight) ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestorations/SlaterBullnoseRestoration_html_m4bf21550.jpg

It had the stamp at the front ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestorations/SlaterBullnoseRestoration_html_1c24d873.jpg

To be blunt, I think that these are silly planes - cannot plane a shoulder and cannot get close to the end of a rebate. Why do you want one?

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestorations/SlaterBullnoseRestoration_html_39f4989.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Ashton
09-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Hey Derek. Actually all I want it for is pretty much a paper weight, at least for now. I'm over in ol blighty and was building a collection of different tools to haul to where ever my next fit of boredom takes me. Older wood working tools here are quite common and cheap by comparison. I go to car boot sales, pay about 10 pound or less and walk away with a box full of planes and such I'd pay at least 10 times more for in Aus or Can.

Hi Brian

I'd also argue for gunmetal if there is a stamp.

Here is a Slater with the stamp on top. This is a classic design ..

I found one that needed total restoration (it was a paperweight) ...

It had the stamp at the front ..

To be blunt, I think that these are silly planes - cannot plane a shoulder and cannot get close to the end of a rebate. Why do you want one?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek Cohen
09-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Hi Brian

I hope the neighbours are an upgrade :)

... meanwhile, can you spare a Spier or Norris or two for a poor Aussie boy .. :o

Regards from Perth (where the sun is out and the skies are blue!).

Derek

Brian Ashton
09-14-2014, 1:08 PM
Hi Brian

I hope the neighbours are an upgrade :)

... meanwhile, can you spare a Spier or Norris or two for a poor Aussie boy .. :o

Regards from Perth (where the sun is out and the skies are blue!).

Derek

I live in quite mixed little village of about a thousand... There's 3 Aussies, 2 Saffas, 3 Canucks, and a couple Yanks. We've had a July 1st and 4th celebration and I guess we might have a go at Jan 26 and Sept 24 also. So far no mention of celebrating an English holiday.

Well, I'll keep ya in mind while I troll the car boot sales.