PDA

View Full Version : Submitting an article/project to a magazine?

Jim Laumann
09-12-2014, 1:18 PM
Have you ever done this?

I am curious - I have an idea - and well - I'll be honest - it would be cool to be published....If you have submitted an article, project, etc - can you answer the following:

1) Did you submit a project (build a 'xyz') or an article (subject material or story)?

2) If a project, how developed were your plans/drawings? Pencil drawings or more advanced? Photos? How to make it instructions?

3) How did you protect your idea/material? I've heard you can copy-right your material by sending yourself a copy of the materials thru the mail - T/F?

4) Did you contact the publisher/editor in advance or just send it in?

5) Accepted/not accepted?

6) If not accepted, were you told why? Did you have the option of correction and re-submission?

7) Did the publisher/editorial staff help refine your idea/project?

8) Were you paid or just bragging rights?

9) Who (publication) did you contact and why?

Any other info about your experience would be helpful....

Many thanks Jim

Thomas S Stockton
09-12-2014, 2:04 PM
Jim
Most magazines have submission guidelines somewhere either an address in the masthead or on their website.
I've submitted things to Fine woodworking they never wanted any article proposals but have published my photos in their gallery section. They are nice to deal with and sent along fairly personal rejections.
I've also written things for Woodwork, Woodcraft and Wood.
For articles or tips you usually get paid I've never been paid for gallery submissions.
The article I wrote for American woodworker was a project article and we started off with a finished picture and some rough drawings. I worked really closely with the editor and he let me know what they wanted and pictures I should send along. They also had all the illustrations done.
I'll answer your questions
1 - both projects, tips and techniques
2 - Pencil drawings, good finished photos and rough building instructions
3- I didn't worry about protecting myself, in every case I knew who I was dealing with and especially in project articles you're putting out really detailed instructions on how to make something so protecting the idea seems like a moot point to me
4-Unless I was contacted first I always just sent stuff in
5- both
6- I was told why and they didn't want it so I ended up putting up on an appropriate web site
7- yes when needed they helped refine my ideas
8-both paid and bragging rights
9- When I contacted publications I usually pick the one I think would be most interested or I have already had a relationship with a particular editor.

Hope this helps
Tom