PDA

View Full Version : Stamps for Cookies, Cakes, and Fondant

Donna Babylon
09-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Hi. Newbie here to the forum. I want to make cookie stamps. Has anyone done this before? Any tips? I plan to use 1/2 inch thick acrylic. I was also exploring food safe rubber as well, but after hearing about the smell of rubber, I think I am going to stick with acrylic. Should I use cast or extruded acrylic?

The stamps will be about 2 1/2" diameter. The designs are mainly type with a simple graphic.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Jerome Stanek
09-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Corian maybe a better solution for this.

Guy Hilliard
09-12-2014, 1:51 PM
You may want to cut the pattern from thinner acrylic and glue it to a thicker base.
Use the waste material to position the cuts on the base.
Make sure you let it sit for a while before using it as Methylene Chloride is not nice stuff to add to cookies.

Martin Boekers
09-12-2014, 2:48 PM
I have used this to make molds from acrylic, mostly for chocolate, It's about $20 at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Bothe stores have an area for "Food Stuffs"

Ive never tried it for stamps, but you may check out the "Stamp Setting" if you laser has it to give it a slight bevel to make the release easier.

http://amazingmoldputty.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Silicone%20Rubber&Name=Amazing%20Mold%20Putty

Mike Null
09-12-2014, 3:57 PM
I have used acrylic and it works just fine. You will probably want to reverse the image. I prefer cast to extruded.

Nicolas Silva
09-12-2014, 6:23 PM
Delrin is food safe as well.

Donna Babylon
09-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all of the advice!

I was planning on using the thicker acrylic because I want to have the words and images raised for imprinting on the cookie surface. Since this is a food product, how do you suggest to remove the residue particles? Would I have the same problem with the Corian or Delrin as suggested? I will be selling the finished product to consumers.

Again, thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience.

Donna Babylon
09-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Martin,
Can you explain a little more about the mold making material you are referring to? Is it like a plastic? Are you suggesting that I make my own material to cut from? Can it be made and rolled out like a pie crust, dried and then cut? I want to have raised letters to the consumer presses the stamp into the cookie dough or fondant. Does this make sense! Thanks for the idea.

Steve Clarkson
09-13-2014, 2:39 PM
Be careful with delrin.......burning it creates
Formaldehyde. And I think there is also an issue with Carbon Black.