PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw / Lasercut Image size discrepancy

John Bion
09-12-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi All,
I am not sure whether to put this in the Chinese laser section, the Corel Draw section or here?
I am having an issue with size discrepancy when taking a bitmap image from Corel Draw, via dxf to Lasercut 5.3.
If I export the file as a dxf and import it into Lasercut, the file comes out at less than half the correct size in Lasercut. If I take the same dxf and open it in other programs, the image is the correct size :confused:

Does anyone have any advice? I have looked at settings in Lasercut but have not yet seen anything that may help. The same units of measurement are being used in both programs (millimetres).

Thanks and Kind regards, John

AL Ursich
09-12-2014, 12:01 PM
What image size does the bit map properties tell you before you export or inport?

Jerome Stanek
09-12-2014, 12:46 PM
laser cut may be thinking you are importing in metric that is what my laserworks will do.

John Bion
09-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Hi Al,
Thanks for your reply.
Pictures properties are 200 DPI and 8” X 6”. It comes out on the other side at almost 2.5” X 1.75”.
Kind Regards, John

matthew knott
09-12-2014, 2:06 PM
Why are you using DXF? DXF is really for vector information, why not export a JPEG and try that!!

John Bion
09-12-2014, 3:08 PM
Hi Matthew,
I have only been using lasers for a year and a half, so am learning on the trot; as far as I have found, Corel does not save as JPEG. the JPEG file is ‘embedded' in the dxf and when importing into Lasercut, the JPEG can be imported first, followed by the vector files. This is not the first time I have been doing this, just the first time I have had this problem. the final image is 28% smaller than the original. If you could show me a better method, I would be grateful. (I have found that if I copy the image into Photo Paint, as opposed to using 'Edit Bitmap' into Photo Paint, then I can save as a JPEG, but it is cumbersome and the dither sometimes changes from what I set it in CD).
Kind Regards, John

Pete James
09-12-2014, 5:34 PM
John,
While you cannot SAVE a jpg file using Corel Draw, you can EXPORT the file as a jpg file.

John Bion
09-12-2014, 6:06 PM
Hi Pete,
As far as I have been able to tell, and I will be glad to be shown otherwise, a JPEG will not export in 1 Bit Black and White. I am a novice in Corel Draw.
Kind Regards, John

Dan Hintz
09-12-2014, 7:22 PM
As far as I have been able to tell, and I will be glad to be shown otherwise, a JPEG will not export in 1 Bit Black and White. I am a novice in Corel Draw.

You can make a bitonal JPEG image, but it's not a true 1-bit image as JPEG does not support such. You could go with JBIG, which was designed for fax transfers, but there would be little point. Use BMP and be done with it.

Clark Pace
09-12-2014, 8:23 PM
Hello,

My laser cut program does the same thing when I bring in a bmp. I simply resize it back to what it's suppossed to be. I've not found any other way around it. My other program rdcam for my other laser import correctly. Weird?

John Bion
09-13-2014, 5:34 AM
Thanks to all for your replies.
I do not know why I am suddenly having this problem, however I have found that if I Resample the image in Corel Draw by 355.9% it comes out the correct size in Lasercut and I continue as usual.
Thanks again and Kind Regards, John