PDA

View Full Version : got a cedar root

keith zimmerman
07-09-2005, 5:36 PM
Today, I was given a cedar root that had been submerged in a lake for many years, then pulled out and dried. When I cut it off the rest of the tree, the grain pattern blew me away. The color of the wood is an incredibly intense red. I plan to trim it up and turn some sort of vase, either with or without a lid. It is intended as a house warming gift for the people that gave it to me. They are in the process of renovating their lake cabin and I thought it appropriate to turn something from their land. I chose the cedar because my other choice was poplar or cottonwood. I will also be able to get some small boxes out the wood. More when I get it home and get to work on it.

Sure makes my car smell good.

keith

John Hart
07-10-2005, 6:43 AM
Sounds Great Keith....Course, you know, it doesn't really exist without pictures!!:D

I'd like to see it before you turn it. You know, since it's aromatic, maybe you could turn a bunch of little do-dads for dresser drawers with the scraps? :rolleyes:

Keith Nielsen
07-13-2005, 3:26 PM
Keith,

What a cool name, But seriously I like turning Red cedar too. Just in case you didn't know Red Cedar love to crack for any reason. It doesn't matter how dry it is it will always crack. Some tricks I use to minimize this is make sure the final product is a little thicker than you would normally make it. Also when you are sanding it don't over heat the wood with the sand paper. Any oil you put on it will soak in forever. If you use waterlox it will soak in at first but build a clear coat on it as well. The end results after buffing are spectacular.

Good luck
Keith N.