PDA

View Full Version : Should I get drill doctor?

Paulh Tremblay
09-11-2014, 6:51 PM
I am doing a lot of doweling in MDF with my Jessem jig and wonder if I should get a drill doctor. If drill doctor alters the dimensions of the bit in any way, I would not be able to use it. Anything less than 3/8'' will make a fit too tight.

Cary Falk
09-11-2014, 7:25 PM
I have the cheapest drill doctor and it works great. The only dimension that it alters is the length. I don't use it often if I am drilling wood but it does come in handy. I have sharpened the bit to the JessEm without issue.

John McClanahan
09-11-2014, 11:06 PM
I too have the cheap one. It works good.

John

Bob Wingard
09-12-2014, 12:08 AM
I learned how to sharpen drill bits by hand when I was in machine shop classes back in high school ... unfortunately, that was 50 years ago, and, believe it or not, you need decent eyesight to accomplish that task, which I no longer have. A few years back, my wife got me one of the better Drill Doctors ... I never thought I'd use it, but now, I find myself going to it more & more. It does a good job and is worth the money, especially if you can't or just don't want to do it by hand. Whatever it takes for you is your choice. The machine works, and works well for those who need/want it.

HANK METZ
09-12-2014, 3:33 AM
I learned how to sharpen drill bits by hand when I was in machine shop classes back in high school ... unfortunately, that was 50 years ago, and, believe it or not, you need decent eyesight to accomplish that task, which I no longer have... .

Same here, I use a magnifier eyeshade from H.F.
http://www.harborfreight.com/magnifier-head-strap-with-lights-38896.html
For $5 it's a cheap alternative to a D.D., and it keeps my old school useful skill going.

For any who are interested, Mr. Pete up on youtube shows how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJItj_ISurY
He's a retired school shop teacher, a national treasure 'cause you won't see the likes of him pass this way anymore.

Ellery Becnel
09-12-2014, 6:24 AM
I have the mid range model, up to 1/2". It works good. I only use it when I have a bit that needs sharpening. I keep saying that I will go through all of my bits, and sharpen them.
If I ever get time, I will. It is worth the money. I just hate to sharpen drill bits!

John McClanahan
09-12-2014, 7:56 AM
Mr. Pete shows how to sharpen larger drills. It gets harder to do on smaller bits. Thats where the Drill Doctor works well.

John

Frederick Skelly
09-12-2014, 8:22 AM
Mr. Pete shows how to sharpen larger drills. It gets harder to do on smaller bits. Thats where the Drill Doctor works well.

John

John, could you please give us a link or reference to "Mr Pete"?
Thank!
Fred

glenn bradley
09-12-2014, 8:34 AM
In short, it does what it is supposed to and is very easy to use.

I held off for a long time since drills dull so slowly when working wood. Lowe's had the XP model on the clearance rack so I went for it. There was even a coupon for an additional stone that I used (the coupon that is. The stone is still new). I have actually used it quite a lot. Mostly for other people but, enough for myself to warrant the space to stash it. If your dowel bit needs sharpening very often you might consider getting a better quality version as an alternative. I tend to talk myself into things if I really want them though . . . something like "a new bit is $xx and I would need one 3 times a year so the Drill Doctor is really only $xx over three years . . . yep, I'm getting one" ;)

Bill Huber
09-12-2014, 8:38 AM
I have the first one that came out years ago and still use it all the time.
In the past I used it a lot more when I was doing more metal work but now doing wood work I don't use it has much.

I have sharpened my doweling bits with it and it did a very good job.

So the answer is YES.....

Al Launier
09-12-2014, 9:02 AM
I also hand grind my drill bits, having learned this on a Tool & Die Makers apprenticeship program. This video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0SQkzScQk0 )is somewhat close to how I learned, the exception being that neither the cutting edge or the relief is ground with "flats". Instead, a twisting helical motion is used to provide a single continuous edge & relief surface. This results in more material to absorb the heat during the grind & also during the actual cutting of material. It takes a while to learn this hand "rolling/twisting" motion when sharpening a drill bit, but in the end it produces a better cutting tool.

Bob Wingard
09-12-2014, 11:48 AM
This is the technique I was taught ... a little different than the one above ... both will work, it's just a matter of preference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wXBbbDVksk

John McClanahan
09-12-2014, 5:55 PM
Here is the Youtube video. It is a 3 part series. He has hundreds of machine shop related videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJItj_ISurY

John

Wayne Jolly
09-12-2014, 8:08 PM
I have the 750X Drill Doctor and it works just fine on standard twist drills. Now if they could just come up with a sharpener for brad point, bullet point, and step drill bits.

Wayne

Paulh Tremblay
09-12-2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks everyone. Just ordered one.