PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Notes from 32-bit Corel X6 to 64-bit Corel X6

Mike Chance in Iowa
09-11-2014, 6:34 PM
I wanted to share this info with others who will be in the same situation I was. After I upgraded to Corel X6 back in 2012, it brought my XP Pro computer to a crawl. A file that took seconds to open in X3 could take up to 2 minutes to open. Thankfully most of my work was already set up in templates and pre-existing files, but it has been painfully slow because I was too stubborn to buy a new computer.

I finally broke down and bought a new computer with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS installed. Then came the not-so-fun task of transferring 10+ years of files from my XP computer to Windows 7.

When I upgraded from Corel X3 to X6 in 2012, I posted a lot of details on where to find files. A lot of that data was still relevant to this Windows 7 Corel X6 64-bit installation.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?188760-Corel-Draw-X6-Upgrade-Tips

There were a few oddball files and issues I ran across with Windows 7. Once again, remember that this data was collected from Windows XP with 32-bit CorelDraw X6 installed and moving to Windows 7 Pro with 64-bit CorelDraw X6 installed.

1. I was not able to transfer some of my 32-bit X6 global macros from my XP computer. When I tried to run the macros, they failed. It is probably something as simple as different file locations for the program files. It was faster for me to re-create new macros then debug them.

2. For those of you who have set up custom paper sizes.....
X6 32-bit saved them at
[drive]:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6\Config\PaperTypes.xml
X6 64-bit saved them at
[drive]:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6\Config\PaperTypes.xml

3. Windows 7 comes pre-loaded with a gob of system & foreign fonts you probably will never use for engraving. You can go into the Fonts and Hide them from displaying in Windows 7 and some new MS software, but they will not "hide" from your font list in Corel Draw X6. There are some references on the internet to hacking the registry to delete them, but do so at your own risk. Unfortunately it looks like we are stuck with having to scroll through all those unwanted "hidden" fonts until Corel offers a new version that is programmed to recognize & hide those fonts.

I can't find my paper that I jotted down all my notes. The next portion may not be exact, but will point you to areas to look to copy your old files.

Workspace files - I think they belong here:
[drive]:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6\Draw\Workspace

Global macros - I think they belong here:
[drive]:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6\Draw

Several workspace settings did not transfer over for me. I think they are stored in .INI & .XML files These are settings that work for my engraving projects, but may not be something you will want to use. Here are some settings I had to redo, that I had customized on the old XP computer:

Tools, Options,
Workspace
Powerclip, Never auto-center
Text
Fonts, Do not use Font Navigator, Yes to Font Flyout menu and I selected a few other options I don't recall. (I use Font Expert to manage my font collection)
QuickCorrect, I unselected the four items on top. They wreck havok on text I don't want corrected for me.
Toolbox
Knife, unselected all items
Pick Tool, unselect treat all items as filled
Zoom Tool, set to my preference which is Zoom, Zoom, No 1:1, and Yes to Center
Global, Printing, Driver Compatibility, Yes to All Text as Graphics

Once I was finished with that, I saved the settings as default via the Tools menu.