PDA

View Full Version : on-line source for quality knobs and pulls?

scott vroom
09-11-2014, 5:18 PM
Horton Brasses has discontinued a drawer pull that I favored and used on numerous jobs. Can anyone recommend an on-line source for quality door/drawer pull hardware?

thanks

Bill Huber
09-11-2014, 6:02 PM
Scott, I don't know how good they are but I get a catalog from Lee Valley that is full of some very nice looking pulls and handles.

I have never bought their hardware but knowing Lee Valley they are good I am sure.

Jon McElwain
09-11-2014, 6:08 PM
+1 For Lee Valley. If you can't find a knob you like in their catalog, you're doing it wrong! :D

Steve Peterson
09-11-2014, 6:12 PM
Sorry, no advice about good web sites. There are many with pages and pages of knobs to scroll through. I find it way too tedious to find anything. I have the best luck finding something I like at a local store. Lowes seems to have the best selection around here. Buy one or two different styles and take them home to decide on the best one. Then track it down online from the manufacturer and part number on the package. You should be able to find it for about 60% of the local price including shipping. A bonus is that you have a local source if you find out that you need a couple more matching knobs in the future.

Steve

scott vroom
09-11-2014, 6:27 PM
Bill, thanks....going through the Lee Valley catalog now, oh boy howdy lots of choices!

Steve, this may be off the mark but just about all the off-the-shelf door/drawer hardware I've seen at the big box stores is at the lower end of the quality spectrum. They do have some special order stuff....but I know not of the quality. And I know what you mean about the seemingly countless numbers of cabinet pull hardware on the web.

Bill Orbine
09-11-2014, 6:30 PM
Horton Brasses has discontinued a drawer pull that I favored and used on numerous jobs. Can anyone recommend an on-line source for quality door/drawer pull hardware?

thanks

Getting off to the side of the road here..... Why don't you provide information of this door/drawer pull you are in search of... Rather than get recommendation of another whole company/website who may or may not have what you seek?

scott vroom
09-11-2014, 6:51 PM
Getting off to the side of the road here..... Why don't you provide information of this door/drawer pull you are in search of... Rather than get recommendation of another whole company/website who may or may not have what you seek?

Fair question and my question was confusing. For this specific project I'm looking for a wide pull for wide office base cabs (drawer fronts 30" wide). 8" to 10" total pull width, contemporary style. I'm also looking beyond the current project for a good source of quality knobs/pulls in various styles/sizes.

glenn bradley
09-11-2014, 6:59 PM
Van Dykes Restorers - http://www.vandykes.com/gateway.aspx?c=20

Jamie Buxton
09-11-2014, 7:51 PM
Scott --
If you like looking at physical knobs and pulls, Belmont Hardware is a good source. The one in Belmont is now entirely dedicated to knobs and pulls and door hardware, with quality/price levels from low to high. The web site says they now have several other stores around the bay area, but I haven't been in them. They're a few yards from Ralston and El Camino in Belmont.

scott vroom
09-11-2014, 8:46 PM
Scott --
If you like looking at physical knobs and pulls, Belmont Hardware is a good source. The one in Belmont is now entirely dedicated to knobs and pulls and door hardware, with quality/price levels from low to high. The web site says they now have several other stores around the bay area, but I haven't been in them. They're a few yards from Ralston and El Camino in Belmont.

Thanks Jamie, I'm heading up to Woodcraft to pick up some Arm-R-Seal, will stop by Belmont Hdwe.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-12-2014, 9:23 AM
Ball and Ball sold me the best quality brass pulls I ever bought. Period correct stuff, beautiful.

Dave Nanke
09-12-2014, 9:39 AM
I'm currently making cabinets for my house and found exactly what we were looking for at Top Knobs. You have to order through a dealer, which they list on their site, but you can order samples from the website fairly inexpensively.

Ethan Melad
09-12-2014, 9:49 AM
Hafele (http://hafele.com) has a huge selection, some are better quality than others. Mockett (http://mockett.com) has a smaller selection but really nice, high quality pieces.

scott vroom
09-12-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm currently making cabinets for my house and found exactly what we were looking for at Top Knobs. You have to order through a dealer, which they list on their site, but you can order samples from the website fairly inexpensively.

I'm zeroing in on this Top Knob bar pull. 8" centers, 10" overall width....a good size for wide drawers where you want to be able to reach the pull from a desk sitting position. $17 - not cheap, not too expensive and hopefully decent quality. Reviews of this brand in general are favorable. thx.

John TenEyck
09-12-2014, 11:02 AM
For wooden pulls and knobs: http://www.niceknobs.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=8&pg=1

For metal ones: https://www.topknobs.com/Default.aspx

John

Bill White
09-12-2014, 2:57 PM
Top Knobs here too.
Bill

Mark Bolton
09-12-2014, 3:48 PM
Scott,
If your doing this work for others you should be buying your hardware from a wholesaler in my opinon. Buying retail makes it tough but Im not sure about your quantities and so on.

Even with the wholesale route it is hard as the selections can be a bit tough from vendor to vendor.

Jim Becker
09-12-2014, 3:59 PM
I buy mine from Lee Valley.