PDA

View Full Version : Would a Dust Deputy cause too much reduction?

Cliff Polubinsky
09-11-2014, 8:37 AM
My SS PCS sits in the middle of the shop floor and is fitted with the dust collection blade guard. My DC sits in the corner and I'd like to eliminate the hassle and tripping hazard of draging the DC hose across the floor when using the saw.

I'm thinking of picking up one of the small DCs to dedicate to the tablesaw, like the Rockler Dust Right with a 5 micron bag or the Penn State DC660P. I have a Dust Deputy I could use with either but I wondered if reducing from 4" to 2 1/2" for the Dust Deputy and then back to 4" for the DC would cause too much loss.

Has anyone tried a similiar combination and did it work?

Cliff

Joe Kaufman
09-11-2014, 10:49 AM
I haven't tried it, I do have all the parts but feel that it would be a waste of time. A shop vacuum has much higher static pressure capability the typical dust collector. I am really happy with the shop vac and standard Dust Deputy. A couple of years ago Oneida did have info on their site regarding using multiple Dust Deputy's in parallel - think 'Super Dyson Carpet Vacuum'. I would suggest that you consider the shorter plastic Super Dust Deputy.

I have the metal Super Dust Deputy and have used it both with 1HP and 1.5HP. There is only a 1/2" inch difference in impeller diameter and really not much difference in actual performance. The 1 1/2 is wall mounted with the Super Dust Deputy and the 1HP is used with a portable centrifugal separator for planer and lathe sanding operations.

Joe

Jim Becker
09-11-2014, 4:14 PM
A 4" port is already marginal for getting fines from the tool. Reducing to 2.5" effectively kills your air flow throughput/CFM. "Too much loss" would be a technical understatement!

glenn bradley
09-11-2014, 4:57 PM
As stated, wrong tool for the job. BTDT; wasted time and money. Drag the hose or plumb it in would be my vote.

Mike Chalmers
09-11-2014, 8:53 PM
A 4" port is already marginal for getting fines from the tool. Reducing to 2.5" effectively kills your air flow throughput/CFM. "Too much loss" would be a technical understatement!

Can't agree. Remeber, we are talking Shop Vac here, not dust collector. I have several shop vacs in use with Dust Deputies as well as a 2 HP DC with a Super Dust Deputy. My 1.5 hp Shop Vac takes care of my Bosch 6" ROS, a 2.5 hp takes care of my radial arm saw (most of it) and my 6.5 hp Ridgid is hooked to the overhead dust collector on my table saw. Very little dust accumulates in my shop, and there is nothing much to see when daylight comes through the window. Now, I am aware that the worst fines may not be visible to the naked eye, however, the visible dust serves as an indicator as to how well your dust collection system is working.

Phil Thien
09-11-2014, 10:52 PM
Can't agree. Remeber, we are talking Shop Vac here, not dust collector.

Actually, the OP asked about connecting a conventional DC to a smaller shop-vac sized DD, not a SDD. And Jim is right, it wouldn't work.

Rick Potter
09-12-2014, 2:53 AM
I tried a 1 HP DC mounted right on top of a DD. Didn't work as well as a shop vac. Wrong application. The Super DD would work, but lots more money.

RP

Mike Chalmers
09-12-2014, 5:19 AM
This is definitely my error. Not sure why I had a shop vac in my mind, as, unlike many, I did actually read the thread.

I have to support that it would not work. I actually tried this with a Thien separator. CFM became very low.

Once again, my apologies. I thought we had another over reaction by a disciple of a certain person who does not believe anything is any good.

Cliff Polubinsky
09-12-2014, 8:40 AM
Thank you all. Had doubts that it wouldn't work and wanted to confirm. Maybe I'll look into configuring a low profile Thein Separator that will sit under the saw table.

Cliff