PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in small town Iowa?

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-09-2005, 2:57 PM
LOML is looking at a job at Iowa State. I thought we'd never move again, but her present situation is such that she's actively looking...and there's enough small towns in Iowa that we could be happy there once we get used to having winter again. :(

Specifically I'd like to hear anything bad about the many small places around Ames....like McCallsburg, Statler, Story City, Jewell. Any place we'd definitely want to avoid if we end up going that way?

KC

Norman Hitt
07-10-2005, 2:54 PM
Uh...Oh, I see a problem here. Do you know how much it's gonna cost to ship Good Mesquite to Iowa, KC? The Real cost though, is gonna be those trips back to Tx to hand pick those boards. :D

Seriously, I have Plenty of First Hand knowledge on this subject, and Certainly understand how the "Situation" can and has changed in the Academic Institutions & Community in Tx. over the last two or three years.

Hate to see you have to go, (especially after you got your shop all Cleaned up), :D , but good luck in your search.

Jim Becker
07-10-2005, 3:08 PM
Well, I can say that I know a few people in that area, both from WOOD Magazine and otherwise. It's a beautiful area of the country. Lots of lumber availablity, too, although "not mesquite". That said, the style you build is popular...it's very much an Arts and Crafts/Mission meca, both in architecture and furniture. If you like the small town feel, even in Des Moines, you'll enjoy living there.