PDA

View Full Version : Haze after wax

Jim Tobias
09-10-2014, 9:54 PM
I recently finished a small box and after giving it a coat of Danish Oil(sanded in with 600 grit), I decided to let it dry for a week and then give it a coat of wax. I didn't feel that the style of the box needed a traditional "topcoat" of lacquer or such.
The wood is something that was called amazon rosewood(it is a dark reddish, dense, oily wood). It accepted the light coat of Danish oil with no issues. It seemed to dry thoroughly with no "bleedback" .
The wax used was a very light coat of clear BriWax. I let it dry and then buffed it back with a soft T-shirt rag. It initially was clear and had a nice soft shine. The next day, it had a milky/haze appearance. I buffed it again and it went away. It has come back again and each day I don't buff it, it becomes more hazy.
Any thoughts/ suggestions??
Maybe the Danish Oil was not sufficiently dried?

Jim

Rich Engelhardt
09-11-2014, 7:17 AM
Maybe the Danish Oil was not sufficiently dried?Probably....
Wipe it all down with VMP Naphtha and let it stand for a week or two and try waxing it again.

IIRC, Briwax also uses toluene instead of the much milder mineral spirits as it's solvent.
Johnsons paste wax uses mineral spirits, which is far less likely to affect the substrate.