PDA

View Full Version : Source for Red Alder spindle stock

Jim Morvay
09-10-2014, 5:12 PM
At some point, well over thirty years ago, my wife bought an unfinished rocker made from Red Alder which I stained and finished. It was her favorite chair until one time her dad was visiting us and ended up breaking one of the outer chair back spindles attached to one of the arms. The chair has been sitting around gathering dust ever since. I do not have a lathe nor have I ever done any wood turning. She has now found someone who is willing to turn a replacement spindle, but we have to supply the wood.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a source to obtain a piece of alder 1.5 to 2.0 inches square and at least 29" long. I've looked, but everything I can find seems to be flat stock in various dimensions. Thanks.

David Helm
09-10-2014, 5:53 PM
My goodness, here red alder is primarily used as firewood. It is a weed tree that grows everywhere rapidly. I have several on my property that came on their own. Should be easy to find red alder wood.

Jamie Buxton
09-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Call tablelegs.com. They make their living turning table legs to sell to folks like us. They used to offer turning stock -- the stuff they have to have around to make legs from -- but I don't see it on the web site any more. I'll bet they'd be happy to sell it to you if you call. Oh...alder is one of the species they use. www.tablelegs.com

or

Osborne offers alder turning blanks. 4"x4"x29" for $37. You can get four spindles from one order. Dunno if it is glued up. Also dunno about knots. Alder often has knots, and you'd probably want to cut around them for your spindles. https://www.osbornewood.com/1290004000.cfm

J.R. Rutter
09-11-2014, 1:50 PM
PM me - I'll send you a piece.

Jim Morvay
09-13-2014, 2:48 PM
Funny you should say that. Back in '82 we visited friends in Mukilteo after which my wife brought back an alder seedling growing in one of their gutters. We planted it in the front yard of our home at the time, in Rockville, MD. It grew about 6' the first year and just continued to grow. In 2001 it was awarded the Champion Red Alder in the Montgomery County Maryland Big Tree contest. Most likely because it was the only one in MD.:)

Jim Morvay
09-13-2014, 2:49 PM
Thanks. I'll check those out if JR's offer doesn't pan out.

Jim Morvay
09-13-2014, 2:52 PM
PM sent to JR.