PDA

View Full Version : How much is this crafstman drill press worth?

Jonathan Gennaro
09-10-2014, 2:41 PM
I've been on the market for a floor drill press and I've come across this one on CL.
They're asking $195 for it, I of course offered 100 ;). He turned me down, but its been posted a ton of times over the last couple weeks and no one wants it. What would be a good price for it? Is it even a good drill press for a older craftsman?

http://i.imgur.com/PX0Qlu9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4j6MEIk.jpg

Matt Day
09-10-2014, 2:59 PM
I think he should have taken the $100! Looks like maybe a 15"? It looks like an oddball - not a nice vintage machine and not a newer one.

Jonathan Gennaro
09-10-2014, 3:10 PM
So you think I should pass on it?

Bruce Page
09-10-2014, 3:14 PM
I do not think the larger table is original to the DP and he is asking a premium because of it. Your offer was spot on IMO.
Give him you number and ask him to call you if he changes his mind.

Chris Padilla
09-10-2014, 4:12 PM
There are a lot of flaky people on CL. I usually get 2-3 inquiries on a sale item before the person who really wants it actually shows up to get it but I guess that is the nature of it. Offer him $110 and say it is your final offer. ;)

Cary Falk
09-10-2014, 4:18 PM
[QUOTE=Matt Day;2309298]I think he should have taken the $100! [QUOTE]

I tend to agree.

John McClanahan
09-10-2014, 5:16 PM
That model has a long quill travel. 6" or so.

John

Jonathan Gennaro
09-10-2014, 5:41 PM
Is it kinda a junky drill press? I'm not that familiar with older drill press's. Think I should hold out and wait for a nicer JET model? That's what I've been really waiting for but I DO KNOW older tools are built ALOT better ;). I've been looking on CL for a couple months now. Missed a few good deals. Tired of always going to my dads to use his!

Matthew Hills
09-10-2014, 6:48 PM
IMO, value would depend on how often candidates appear on CL and how precious the $95 is to you.

If it has the speeds you want, minimal runout, and you like the table/travel/throat, then going up closer to the asking price seems reasonable to me.

But I wouldn't go up (or even spend $100) without testing it and being happy.

Matt

Moses Yoder
09-10-2014, 6:55 PM
I paid $275 for a bench top Craftsman but it was my dad's :rolleyes: My brother bid me up on it. Your $100 offer is generous for that drill. Do you have any interest in buying a vintage press and restoring it? I see those occasionally at auctions, one recently on Craigs for $75.

Earl McLain
09-10-2014, 9:46 PM
I live in the same area as Moses, and I've seen at least 6 of those posted in the past few months. Asking generally around $125, going around $100. Not a bad DP for that money. I finally got a very gently used Delta 17-965 with heavy roller base and Rockler table for right about $300. Had missed on a few I'd have liked to have but that hunt is now over!!

Patience and cash will persevere!!
Earl

Simon Dupay
09-10-2014, 11:43 PM
It's a nice drill press made in the USA, better than a jet. I say offer him $125-$150 at most

Thomas Hotchkin
09-10-2014, 11:57 PM
We had that same model drill press in a industrial setting starting some time in 1970's and it is still being use today I think. (retired in 2004) Made in the USA, has a long quill travel, more then 5 different spindle speeds. The only negative is the small V belt it uses, only available thru Sears. Tom

HANK METZ
09-11-2014, 1:29 AM
We had that same model drill press in a industrial setting starting some time in 1970's and it is still being use today I think. (retired in 2004) Made in the USA, has a long quill travel, more then 5 different spindle speeds. The only negative is the small V belt it uses, only available thru Sears. Tom

That belt has always been a source of irritation to acquire, but advisers on other forums have located metric equivalent replacements, other than that it's a pretty good tool. I also used one back in the day, I thought it had like 12 speeds or more.

Ronald Blue
09-11-2014, 6:08 AM
I think that it deserves bumping the offer up if you can see it in person and try it. We have that one in one of our shops and the only issue was the belt breaking and the odd uncommon size of it as was already mentioned. I am pretty certain it is made in the USA as well. I believe the larger of the two tables is the original. Ours is used for occasional metalworking and it worked fine whenever I have used it. I guess no real impression of it means it's not horrible nor is it exceptional. I think if it's in good working order $100 is low ball especially in your area where everything costs more....lol. However in the end it's your money and this is an opinion and with it you can get a cup of coffee for $1.49 same as without. So armed with something so valuable go do what you want. Good luck

Dave Cullen
09-11-2014, 9:59 AM
I paid $200 for an old Rockwell DP simply because it had 6" of spindle travel. That feature adds considerably to the machine's usefulness, and to the price.

Daniel Hartmann
09-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Tools on CL are like that here too. Somebody has trash and thinks it's gold. Hold out. I got my older delta drill press for $85. When I picked it up it still had cosmoline and plastic on the table. Lunch box planers for some reason seem to be listed for really high.