PDA

View Full Version : plastic staples

Stephen Tashiro
09-10-2014, 2:24 PM
Can plastic staples (like http://raptornails.com/product-catalog/staples.php) be driven with an ordinary stapling gun? - electric or manual.

daniel lane
09-10-2014, 2:55 PM
I visited the web site and was surprised I haven't heard of these before, they seem cool! On the woodworking page, they indicate "required tools" for the brads and nails; I did a further search for these units and found another pages that indicated the units are "designed to drive the Raptor(r)...nails, brads, and pins with ease." On the surface, this makes me think standard nailers would NOT work, or at least might not work well. I'd suggest a call to the manufacturer to be sure.

daniel

Stephen Tashiro
09-10-2014, 8:00 PM
I called the Raptor company - no automatic phone labryinth to navigate, you speak directly to pepole.

A summary:

1) They don't sell their product online yet, but they do take orders by phone.

2) They recommend that you use nailers, staple guns etc. that are built by an Italian company and known to work with the plastic fasteners. They do sell these nailers and staplers.

3) They would be interested to hear from customers who have been able to use ordinary staplers and nailers. When they first began selling the fasteners, they had hoped that ordinary staplers and nailers would work. However, they found that ordinary staplers and nailers are not built with enough precison to work reliably.

I haven't found any other companies that make brads and staples out of plastic.

Myk Rian
09-10-2014, 9:27 PM
However, they found that ordinary staplers and nailers are not built with enough precison to work reliably.
Well, obviously they hadn't tried HF staplers.

Jamie Buxton
09-10-2014, 10:13 PM
I dunno about what tools to use on them, but they are terrific. For decades I've been vigilant for metal staples in the ends of lumber. At best they chip tools. At worst, they might turn into shrapnel, and take out an eye or something. But now, the mills that supply my favorite hardwood dealer use these plastic staples to fasten paperwork to the ends of lumber. Voila -- no shrapnel.