PDA

View Full Version : Finish for bench slats

Dick Howard
05-25-2003, 7:47 PM
loml has a metal garden bench with oak slats. We have sanded them and sprayed with 2 coats of deft before but the finish doesnt last very long. What would be the best finish for this. It sets outside year round. Thanks in advance.

Dick in Emmett, Idaho

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-25-2003, 8:19 PM
Dick, if it is going to be exposed to the elements year 'round, you would probably need to use an exterior Polyurethane. Zar has one that I am familiar with, and it does a decent job of holding up to the elements. There have been some advances in exterior coatings with UV protection, maybe check with your local paint store, those folks can usually help much more than the local hardware or box store. Good Luck..........Mother Nature just doesn't play fair when it comes to Wood Finishing! ;)

Dave Herman
05-27-2003, 10:17 PM
I'm in the same boat as you! I have a bench like that with white oak slats. I've tried spar polyurethenes and almost ever other urethene but each year the sun beats the heck out of it. I'm getting tired of doing it every year, so I may just paint it with outdoor green paint after this year if I don't find something that works.

Paul Kunkel
05-27-2003, 11:26 PM
but I'm afraid our bench hasn't held up even with that. Nuttin' like just pullin' up a log. Gets too rough-just burn it!:D