PDA

View Full Version : 12 inch disk sander sugggestions

john davey
09-10-2014, 10:08 AM
I am in the need for one of these. I currently use a 9 inch disk that is part of an old Delta combo table saw. Given that it requires a separate motor integrated into a stand I built for it which then of course means floor space I do not have. I am looking for a bench top model that I can bolt to a piece of plywood like a bench hook and use on the bench and store underneath the bench. So this excludes some of the higher end units with the stands and dist collection. I see just about everyone makes one of these and they range in price but all seem to be under $300. given that I am looking for information as to what models are better built and are truer. It seems there are not allot of options that differ between the models but some use different materials for the tables and some offer better dust collection. I will be using this with my shop vac so that type of connection is necessary. So Am I missing other options or anything in these?? recommendations please. Thanks, John...

Dan T Jones
09-10-2014, 11:33 AM
I know someone very happy with the HF version.

john davey
09-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks Dan, I have actually been dong some more googling since I posted and it seems all of the inexpensive models really seem to be about the same machine with some different finishing on them. So I was wondering if the HF and the 25% coupon is the way to go. Obviously the higher end machines have more HP and better tables. But if they all spin a flat disk I am not sure the extra money is well spent for me. It will be used semi regularly but it will not be a primary machine running all of the time. Just rounding corners and such. I am just not sure if the Rikon is worth 2x the price of the HF. I am sure the Jet models are good but $500+ is not in the budget for this.

Bruce Page
09-10-2014, 12:36 PM
The 12" disk sander has become pretty generic with not a lot of difference from one to another. The ~10 year old Delta I have runs smoothly and has good dust collection using a shop vac. I don't have any complaints with it.