PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly GO6056P Jointer Purchase

Scott Brandstetter
09-10-2014, 12:41 AM
I am putting a deposit on this Jointer tomorrow. Haven't got pictures yet but supposedly used only "once" (very weird) and settled on a price of $575. I am a bit lucky in the sense that my job takes me all over North America. I plan to fly into Wisconsin for work and then rent an SUV for the ride home with my new toy.

Anyone by chance have this model? Anything I should know going into this deal? I looked online and it would be roughly $1000 for this model new, shipped to my house. Would appreciate any comments. One point to know, I am replacing a 30 year + craftsman 6 inch crappy jointer. I have to believe that this will be a huge upgrade to what I am used to.

Ronald Blue
09-10-2014, 6:50 AM
I would be very leery of a long distance deal and no pictures to show what your getting. Maybe they have been upfront enough to gain your trust and I hope it's totally legit. It's a good price and I assume your work is paying for the rental as well. That might be a challenge loading and securing though. Good luck and post photos.

glenn bradley
09-10-2014, 8:27 AM
I'm assuming a G0565P here. Nice machine; tall fence, long tables. I assume it is assembled so I would go with tools to remove the machine from the base (although these come with the machine originally). Once in two main parts, the loading can be done by two. A piece of hardboard or some-such would ease sliding the sharp-edged machine into the carpeted area. Don't lift it by the outer tips of the tables; cast iron is softer than you think and if you foul those tables it is pretty much a boat anchor. Grab it up close to the body and you should be fine. Bring gloves and rope or straps. It will set where you put ti but, in the event of a sudden maneuver during your trip, you do not want that thing moving around inside a vehicle. If taking a striaght edge along to check the tables, I would do that at a minimum.

Matt Day
09-10-2014, 9:24 AM
Have you talked to the guy on the phone? For a deal like this I'd be on the phone to make sure I'm comfortable with the guy, and for sure get pictures of it. When you say you're putting down a deposit, that means you trust the guy enough to send him money? That's you're call but be careful.

If it's anything like my 8" parallelogram jointer it takes a couple very strong guys to move the top (beds, cutter head, business end). It took four reasonably fit guys to move mine a hundred feet or so to a moving truck. Remove the fence and separate the top from the base. If you can get your SUV backed up to the jointer, you can probably slide the top into the trunk with only two guys.

Marty Tippin
09-10-2014, 9:26 AM
Red flags... No photos, "used only once" (yeah, right). At very least I wouldn't put any cash up front. Is this a Craigslist find? If so, I'd run the other way...

I just sold my G0656P locally for $525, about 18 months old and very lightly used (only once!). So you're getting a fair price but not a bargain by any means. It's a fine jointer and I hope the deal works out for you. But it smells fishy to me...