PDA

View Full Version : Wonder what LV is up to on 9/13?

Frederick Skelly
09-09-2014, 6:13 PM
In another sign of my growing hand tool addiction, I saw a teaser about an upcoming announcement on their website and just cant resist gossiping about it. (Does it mean Im really sick when I fall for a marketing ploy like this?)

Wonder what we'll see? Anybody want to have some fun speculating? Im wishing for a new product announcement. Maybe something like, oh I dunno - maybe an LV Dado Plane to go with my LV Plow Plane?!

(Im not affiliated with LV in any way. Im just hoping to have a bit of harmless fun.)

Fred

Jim Koepke
09-09-2014, 6:28 PM
Anybody want to have some fun speculating?

How about an adjustable shooting board for their shooting plane?

Maybe one with an adjustable donkey ear so one could do compound miters.

I'm kind of mulling over how to build one out of wood for a future project. I probably couldn't afford a new one.

jtk

george wilson
09-09-2014, 7:15 PM
I don't mind marketing ploys and advertisments in Email when they are about something I am interested in! I DO mind the same when they are selling vacation condos.(Then,going bankrupt and absconding with all the money that people invested).

Malcolm Schweizer
09-09-2014, 7:22 PM
Perhaps some sort of moulding plane(s)?

David Weaver
09-09-2014, 7:22 PM
Must be a bailey pattern plane with brazilian rosewood handle and knob and laminated iron.

John Sanford
09-09-2014, 7:45 PM
Compass Plane.

1"+ wide PM-V11 chisels.

Panel saws.

paul cottingham
09-09-2014, 8:03 PM
Sawstop. I'm being serious.

i hope I am wrong, and everyone else is right.

Marko Milisavljevic
09-09-2014, 9:11 PM
It says "It starts with us and finishes with you."

Hope they are not introducing new line of finishes!

Frederick Skelly
09-09-2014, 9:43 PM
It says "It starts with us and finishes with you."

Hope they are not introducing new line of finishes!

Me too! Im just hoping for something new.
I already have both the small and large router planes, so I just wasnt in need of the latest new product (medium router). Im going through LV withdrawl...

John Crawford
09-10-2014, 12:39 AM
I have some insider information here. They are releasing their version of the Stanley 55, called the Veritas 65. It will be pricey, but it comes with 5 free visits to a therapist. You can count on this info. They will be opening several USA stores (it starts with "US") to sell these.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-10-2014, 5:38 AM
Sawstop. I'm being serious.

i hope I am wrong, and everyone else is right.

Hahahaha! A new hand tool safety device. If your finger touches the blade it immediately springs up from the handle. Sounds like something for their April Fool's edition. They could add a laser saw guide as well.

As as long as we are being silly, how about a manual router table where you mount a router plane upside-down and move your work over it. They could price it around the same as that manual table saw Bridge City sells.

Seriously, I hope John Crawford is right. I am hoping for something that can do mouldings. I would certainly buy that.

Chris Griggs
09-10-2014, 6:25 AM
They're expanding their market and releasing a new line of cat toys and pet beauty products...OBVIOUSLY!

john zulu
09-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Drat. Looks like a new machine. Not 240 volts compatible... Maybe I am mistaken......

Hilton Ralphs
09-10-2014, 11:38 AM
There must be some cool hand tools coming or else Chris wouldn't have been giggling like a girl when he visited their HQ recently.

John Stankus
09-10-2014, 12:43 PM
They are expanding their line of cash extractors. If I recall correctly their current cash extractors are rated at 0.5 EPM (EPM is expenditures per month), the new ones I hear are targeting well over 2.0 EPM. Rumors have it that is improved ducted flow of dollars to Ottawa.:) I always expect a higher GHI spec with each Lee Valley announcement. (GHI - Gotta Have It Factor)

I think they are also doing their market research by this. I bet Rob is taking notes on all the ideas tossed out in this speculation thread.

John

john zulu
09-10-2014, 1:16 PM
Hmmm. Good thinking. If Chris will spill the beans. Oh wait.... Rob is here......

Malcolm Schweizer
09-10-2014, 1:54 PM
Maybe if we tie Chris up and threaten to take away all his tools, THEN he would spill the beans. If not, we could go to a more strenuous torture- "Board Watering." Do not mistake this with "waterboarding;" Board Watering involves taking all his well-seasoned lumber and pouring water on it until he confesses.

Last, but not least, we make him listen to a cheap, dull plane across an expensive figured board, pulling an tearing wood fibers as it is forced along. The sound is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. Sccccrrrrrraaaatttccchhhh!!!

Curt Putnam
09-10-2014, 2:19 PM
Rob likes a good tease but he has never gone to this length before. He must be excited therefore I'm willing to be. Therefore I'm expecting something really exciting as would befit LV's bent for true innovation.

What would float my boat the highest right now would be some sort of modern H&R capability. I'd also be thrilled with a honing jig that sets up quickly and can take everything from a # 8 plane iron down to a 1/16" triangular chisel. The jig would produce cambers of a specified radius and easily handle skews An innovative miter box could get the juices flowing.

'Tis fun but useless to speculate. Here's hoping his website can handle all that noon time traffic.

Prashun Patel
09-10-2014, 2:37 PM
'starts with us and finishes with you'... something in the HVLP space?

maximillian arango
09-10-2014, 2:43 PM
I think its going to be a hammer with a chisel head so you don't have to hold the chisel anymore maybe some other combo tool like a dovetail saw with a low angle block plane build into the handle... I should patent those before because last time I had a dumb idea as a joke it became an ipad :(

David Weaver
09-10-2014, 2:49 PM
I think Lie Nielsen's honing guide is under it.

David Weaver
09-10-2014, 2:50 PM
'starts with us and finishes with you'... something in the HVLP space?

Battery powered treadle HVLP with a foot power backup? :)

Sean Hughto
09-10-2014, 3:11 PM
'starts with us and finishes with you'... '

Pretty obvious then: Ustulated tupelo wood from the bayou

They blacken everything down there.

Brian Thornock
09-10-2014, 3:18 PM
Either it is an expanded offering of tool kits (saw kits, plane kits, etc.), or it is a highly trained monkey that can apply silky smooth finishes, specially trained in ottawa, and sent via special carrier to the end user. Or perhaps US locations to better serve YOU!

David Weaver
09-10-2014, 3:33 PM
I think you've got a good chance of being right about the kit type stuff.

Tony Zaffuto
09-10-2014, 3:37 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I just wired LV all my banking info and told them to send me three of whatever is being released. I just know I can't live without it.

David Weaver
09-10-2014, 3:50 PM
If it takes up too much space, send me your washitas and hards and I'll store them.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-10-2014, 4:02 PM
I think you've got a good chance of being right about the kit type stuff.

I really hope not. Their kits all have most of what I already have and only a few of what I don't. Besides, I don't think all the hype would go out just for a bundled kit of what they already have. In fact, I would be pretty upset if that turned out to be the case. Based on Chris' visit to LN and hint that some exciting things were in the works, I have been saving my money for something good.

I am still placing my money on some sort of moulding plane like a Stanley 45 (I think that's the designation)- the one where you can change moulding blades. It would be a natural progression in their line, and is something they are missing. I suggest that whoever gets it right, Rob sends them a free one! (completely unashamed selfish motive)

That said, perhaps some joint venture with Apple, and they have created the iPlane. Now you can get a glassy smooth finish, and check your mail, make calls, get the latest weather, and a wealth of other things, all from the same tool. It would have special sensors that would give immediate information on wood density, moisture content, and pull up a website showing the genus, species, and characteristics of whatever wood you are planing. There would be a Siri attendant that you could ask questions, such as, "Siri, what blade angle is best for this wood?" Siri: "Malcolm, I would recommend a york pitch for this figured wood... I see that you are using a bevel-up with a 25 degree angle; would you like me to pull up the Veritas website so you can order another blade?" Like the new Apple Pay, the plane would also allow you to store credit card information so whenever you decided you need a new tool, you can pay immediately with your plane without the hassle of getting out your card.

Tony Zaffuto
09-10-2014, 5:00 PM
If it takes up too much space, send me your washitas and hards and I'll store them.

I've already named you in my will David, since I'm a bit older than you! Wife and kids will think the pile of stones is just that: a pile of stones! Funny thing is, my wife was looking over some of my stuff and as a typical uninformed novice tool admirer, thinks the transitionals are worth mega-bucks!

I've email Rob Lee and have gotten a special group buy lined up. Anyone who wants several of what's under the blanket are to send me your bank info and I'll make all the arrangements. What you'll end up with will truly be a surprise.

David Weaver
09-10-2014, 5:13 PM
I've already named you in my will David, since I'm a bit older than you! Wife and kids will think the pile of stones is just that: a pile of stones! Funny thing is, my wife was looking over some of my stuff and as a typical uninformed novice tool admirer, thinks the transitionals are worth mega-bucks!

Well, the transitionals *are* pretty when they are in top shape. I have one that's in close to top shape with an almost unused iron. It is hard, to me, to envision a time that it's worth selling because it's a 20" long plane and doesn't fit in any discount box.

Mike Brady
09-10-2014, 5:28 PM

I do have a picture somewhere of Rob admiring that honing guide.

I know that's not it because that requires a deadline and LN can't meet deadlines.

Rob Lee
09-10-2014, 5:32 PM
Hmmm. Good thinking. If Chris will spill the beans. Oh wait.... Rob is here......

Not so fast.... it was Megan that was here, not Chris! :)

Cheers -

Rob

David Weaver
09-10-2014, 5:38 PM

I know that's not it because that requires a deadline and LN can't meet deadlines.

Mike, every time I make a joke about the honing guide, I always think "I hope Mike Brady sees this". I remember putting a picture of some goofy thing I rigged up on woodnet, and back then you were talking about the honing guide that LN was coming out with and the need to do something until it was available :)

Rob Lee
09-10-2014, 5:47 PM
Rob likes a good tease but he has never gone to this length before. He must be excited therefore I'm willing to be. Therefore I'm expecting something really exciting as would befit LV's bent for true innovation. (snip)

Yes - this one's tease worthy. A real paradigm shift in what we do, and how we do it. It is literally years of work.

At the same time - I don't want to overhype it. What we're doing (the announce) is for fun, ultimately; for our staff, our customers, and hopefully the hand woodworking industry in general.

Serious - but fun.

Would give more details - but have to go home and pack... gotta be up before 4:00am to get the airport!

Cheers -

Rob

Gary Muto
09-10-2014, 5:55 PM
I bet a large Plow plane is one of the new offerings.

Rob Lee
09-10-2014, 5:56 PM

Nah - we already made our own, almost 5 years ago now.... just decided not to go ahead with it....

http://www.leevalley.com/home/temprl/hg2009.jpg

allen long
09-10-2014, 6:34 PM
How about a dial-a-plane? A hand plane that lets you dial-in the pitch of the blade angle. Or, perhaps dial-in how close the deflector is positioned to the edge of the blade.

Chris Griggs
09-10-2014, 7:14 PM
Not so fast.... it was Megan that was here, not Chris! :)

Cheers -

Rob

I think they are referring to Chris Griggs, not Chris Schwarz....Jeez Rob, the visit wasn't THAT long ago :-)! I got in there to see the excitement before Megan did...PWW must have seen my post about the visit and then copied me. :-)

And no Malcolm, I will not spill the beans...You can make all the threats you want, but please recall I live in West Philly so obviously I'm not scared easily. I've actually known about this project for probably around 3 years...no I won't be spilling the beans with only a couple days left to go....

Chris Griggs
09-10-2014, 7:27 PM

Now THAT is funny...

...although I must admit, the fact that neither of the things they announced last year have come out does worry me...I hope LN isn't in any kind of dire straights.

David Weaver
09-10-2014, 7:29 PM
I'd imagine they're just fine, and at this point relaxing a little and running their business making what they make well. If I were TLN, that's probably what I'd do.

Chris Griggs
09-10-2014, 7:33 PM
I'd imagine they're just fine, and at this point relaxing a little and running their business making what they make well. If I were TLN, that's probably what I'd do.

Probably right...that's likely what I would do too.

Chris Griggs
09-10-2014, 7:35 PM
Okay,okay...I'll cave.

The big announce is that LV is merging with Woodpecker...they are re-releasing all the tools they already make, just in bright red instead of black!

Consider the beans spilled...hope you're all happy.

Casey Gooding
09-10-2014, 7:44 PM
I happen to know it's a medium-large and a medium-small router plane.

David Weaver
09-10-2014, 7:47 PM
I think it's probably a special trailer park boys Lee Valley themed chisel box. Complete with a pair of complimentary steel toed samsquanch slippers and a Jim Lahey combination flask and cap iron screwdriver.

Chris Griggs
09-10-2014, 8:00 PM
I think it's probably a special trailer park boys Lee Valley themed chisel box. Complete with a pair of complimentary steel toed samsquanch slippers and a Jim Lahey combination flask and cap iron screwdriver.

What? No miniature Swazye Express?

Malcolm Schweizer
09-10-2014, 8:29 PM
Okay,okay...I'll cave.

The big announce is that LV is merging with Woodpecker...they are re-releasing all the tools they already make, just in bright red instead of black!

Consider the beans spilled...hope you're all happy.

You broke silence for THAT???? You should have kept quiet. Hahaha. (That was quite funny, by the way.)

Ryan Mooney
09-10-2014, 8:48 PM

You know I'd probably have to buy that, multiples even because gifts!

David Weaver
09-10-2014, 8:55 PM
What? No miniature Swazye Express?

Could be! Or maybe it's a grab bag from rob's plane collection. Rob's used ____. I mean it's not ____, it's good stuff.

Rob Lee
09-10-2014, 9:03 PM
Could be! Or maybe it's a grab bag from rob's plane collection. Rob's used ____. I mean it's not ____, it's good stuff.

Blasphemy!

Our collection is one way...stuff only comes in! :)

Cheers,

Rob

Adam Petersen
09-10-2014, 9:04 PM
Whatever it is, I'll be in the classified section waiting to buy whatever you guys might have to sell to get it...

Jim Belair
09-10-2014, 9:07 PM
At the same time - I don't want to overhype it. What we're doing (the announce) is for fun, ultimately; for our staff, our customers, and hopefully the hand woodworking industry in general.

Yeah, the last LV announcement that had such a build up by both the company and a lot of us on the forums ended up being the release of the DX/NX block planes. Nice tools but a bit disappointing to many after such a big lead up. It's all in fun though and this feels different, so I'm looking forward to Saturday noon.

David Weaver
09-10-2014, 9:15 PM
You know I'd probably have to buy that, multiples even because gifts!

I'd get a couple, too, for sure! Especially if there was also a sam the caveman club-shaped mallet.

Shannon Brantley
09-10-2014, 9:54 PM
I hope it's the Voubo bench!

Frederick Skelly
09-10-2014, 10:04 PM
I think they are referring to Chris Griggs, not Chris Schwarz....Jeez Rob, the visit wasn't THAT long ago :-)! I got in there to see the excitement before Megan did...PWW must have seen my post about the visit and then copied me. :-).

Oh, he didnt forget your visit ON PURPOSE, Chris. Its just that Megan's cuter than you are. So she's easier to remember. :)

jean drabinowski
09-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Nah - we already made our own, almost 5 years ago now.... just decided not to go ahead with it....

Please sell these, I want one.

-jd

Mike Brady
09-10-2014, 11:17 PM

What happened to the side-clamp fixture for the MkII?.... Although you did say "within the year".

Ryan Mooney
09-10-2014, 11:46 PM
I'd get a couple, too, for sure! Especially if there was also a sam the caveman club-shaped mallet.

LOML said she'd buy one as well (technically she rolled her eye's and said "only if you really wanted one dear") but I think that counts as three. Once you multiply that by the uncounted masses that's probably something like a million sales! I think we're onto something here.

Mike Brady
09-10-2014, 11:48 PM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/finefettle/LNhoningguide_zps9c723d61.jpg (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/finefettle/media/LNhoningguide_zps9c723d61.jpg.html)

Kees Heiden
09-11-2014, 1:55 AM
The double iron plane is now about 250 years old so it is time for something new: the triple iron plane! It has a chipbreaker on both sides of the blade.

Matthew N. Masail
09-11-2014, 7:19 AM
A triple iron plane would chatter like crazy, but I like the idea of something new! I think the idea of a dial in blade angle has some merit! Especially in a classic-modern look

Kees Heiden
09-11-2014, 7:24 AM
Chatter? Don't you know this is the special anti chatter breaker? And it protects the underside of the edge, so you almost never need to sharpen anymore!

Malcolm Schweizer
09-11-2014, 8:02 AM
I think this thread has plenty of chatter. ;)

Matthew N. Masail
09-11-2014, 8:18 AM
Ohh sorry Kees, I didn't realize! I suppose the bottom breaker does prevent the wear bevel from getting more than a few microns wide. Too bad because all the effort they put into the pmv11 turned redundant ((-:

Mike Holbrook
09-11-2014, 8:50 AM
LV has been harvesting DNA from all the top woodworkers in the world. We can now send them a simple swab from the cheek and they will return us a Mini-Me infused with the DNA of our favorite woodworkers. Our own Mini-ME woodworker! I understand they all get a little Rob Lee though, so watch your wallets.

Harold Burrell
09-11-2014, 9:07 AM

Hey! Since you're not going ahead with this...can I have it??? :D

Harold Burrell
09-11-2014, 9:09 AM
Whatever it is, I'll be in the classified section waiting to buy whatever you guys might have to sell to get it...

OK...belly laugh...

John Glover
09-11-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm guessing it's the new Saw Stop tablesaws I saw in the Halifax store earlier this week.

Prashun Patel
09-11-2014, 11:55 AM
I think it's a sensing brake for their Veritas line of saws.
I'll be so disappointed if it's just a Sawstop announcement. That seems so NOT like LV to hype that (as if I know them).

george wilson
09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Never mind the 13th. I hope we get through the 11th. o.k.!

Rob Lee
09-11-2014, 12:24 PM
I'm guessing it's the new Saw Stop tablesaws I saw in the Halifax store earlier this week.

C'mon guys... It's a Veritas announcement! Not that Sawstop's not a good product...

Cheers,

Rob
(Who might miss WIA if the line at Thrifty Raleigh-Durham doesn't move any faster.... :( )

David Weaver
09-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Rob, Use the Veritas teleporter!!

(I knew you wouldn't hold us off only to give us a sawstop announcement)

Brian Hale
09-11-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm guessing an introductory price of $289.97 , not counting accessories

george wilson
09-11-2014, 12:50 PM
When I got a new apprentice for the toolmaker's shop,and wanted to increase safety(and had the money),I bought a Saw Stop for the toolmaker's shop.

It was rather a huge pain to use it. Maybe I'd have gotten used to it over time. If all wasn't exactly to the computer's liking,it would not start.

The brakes were about $80.00 each. They WILL go off if you saw stuff that contains a little metal,like plexiglass mirror stock. I had an archiectural(sp?) model maker friend who kept having this problem. Wasted a lot of money once his machine got "contaminated".

You can ONLY use the Saw Stop dado out fit with it. You have to buy a separate brake to use with the dado,too,due to it being a different dia. from the normal blade(and a different width).

The saw is very sensitive to saw blades of SLIGHTLY different diameters,like 10" saw blades that are 1/16" shy of 10". You have to adjust the brake for every blasted blade if yours are a little individual.

The arbor was a bit too short to suit me(not that you could use anything other than the Saw Stop dado,anyway.

The arbor had V threads instead of Acme,which I did not really care for. It was cheap looking. The rest of the saw looked very nice. Great grind on the tables. A lot nicer than the old,swirly Blanchard ground saws. And flatter,too.

IIRC,I had a bit of trouble putting the 6" dust collector hose on it. No luck: it will only take 4". And,the interior of the saw has this tightly cowled plastic dust chute-good luck if you have thin sticks go down the throat plate.

THROAT PLATE!!! That saw has the most complicated throat plates I have ever seen,and they are rather expensive. I managed to make one when I needed a different one(a zero clearance one). But,you have to be a machinist to make it. I have made several plywood ones for my Clausing over the years,no problem.

Forget about using ANY special purpose blades,like guitar fret cutting blades that are 6" in diameter. I don't think they'd work if they were 10" in diameter. The magnetic sensors would not allow the saw to work since the are not magnetic enough,with a .020" width. Now, THAT alone was enough to sour me. Woodcraft used to sell those as veneer cutting saws.

I'll just keep on being careful with my fingers,thank you. I DID cut my fingers back in 1963 on an old,small tilting table saw,when the table tilted,causing a kick back. I haven't cut myself since. Fortunately,no permanent damage or mutilation occurred. But,it was 2 years before I could comfortably dial a phone(rotary dial days). I maintain respect for the table saw,and always use proper push sticks-and don't try just plain dangerous stuff.

paul cottingham
09-11-2014, 1:41 PM
I said it earlier. I'll say it again. Sawstop.

Prashun Patel
09-11-2014, 1:58 PM
Oh please, All, let's not turn this thread into a Sawstop one....

Harold Burrell
09-11-2014, 3:44 PM
Oh please, All, let's not turn this thread into a Sawstop one....

Oh, come on. Don't be such a poop. :D

george wilson
09-11-2014, 3:54 PM
I did get a little off topic. Not that I hate Saw Stops. They are the coolest LOOKING saw yet. I just don't WANT one to have to put up with!!!!:)

Phil Thien
09-11-2014, 4:07 PM
CNC hand tools.

Hilton Ralphs
09-11-2014, 5:22 PM
Lee Valley booth

I dig the cases.

Jim Belair
09-11-2014, 5:35 PM
I wonder if Rob travelled on the plane with those chained to his wrist?

David Weaver
09-11-2014, 5:43 PM
It looks like it might be pistols.:)

Phil Thien
09-11-2014, 5:49 PM
Does Veritas make any corded tools? Or is the brand only used for hand tools?

Because that case looks like something for a device with a power cord.

David Weaver
09-11-2014, 7:46 PM
Those nanuk cases are $100-$500 a pop, so unlikely that they'd be used to pack a power tool. They're probably intended to get whatever is in them to WIA without it breaking.

Shannon Brantley
09-11-2014, 9:36 PM
Harmonicas?

Jonas Baker
09-11-2014, 9:47 PM
I'm thinking its a mitre box, but when I consider that they already sell the nobex mitre boxes, that doesn't make sense. I'm sure it's a product release that encompasses more than one tool.Best,Jonas

Dave Lehnert
09-11-2014, 10:05 PM
As luck would have it ,the show is not in Cincinnati this year or I would be there. :(

Is this going to be a live event on the web too ?

Phil Thien
09-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Eggbeater-powered Domino knock-off.

Rob Lee
09-11-2014, 11:25 PM
As luck would have it ,the show is not in Cincinnati this year or I would be there. :(

Is this going to be a live event on the web too ?

Yes, the website will be updated at the same time ... Lots of staff doing overtime to ensure it is done concurrently with stores and reveal at WIA.

Cheers,

Rob

daniel lane
09-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Someone call TSA. No way he made it on the plane without those being x-rayed. ;)

daniel

Matthew N. Masail
09-12-2014, 2:11 AM
Maybe a release of a few other of the premium line planes, from the LV site

"In our new number system, the first letter designates the material (Nickel, Bronze,Stainless Steel, Std. Ductile Iron). The number represents the model, and the "X", of course, stands for excellent!"

Hilton Ralphs
09-12-2014, 3:50 AM
Remember, Rob said this so it can't be some power tool gizmo.

What we're doing (the announce) is for fun, ultimately; for our staff, our customers, and hopefully the hand woodworking industry in general.

bill tindall
09-12-2014, 6:22 AM
The product you wish for was introduced several years ago. It's called the Stanley 55 router bit collection. In a high state of exasperation from a Stanley 55 I asked Rob about making Stanley 55 router bits and behold, some months later they were available.

David Weaver
09-12-2014, 8:02 AM
I hope it's a couple of boxes full of straight razors.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-12-2014, 8:15 AM
The product you wish for was introduced several years ago. It's called the Stanley 55 router bit collection. In a high state of exasperation from a Stanley 55 I asked Rob about making Stanley 55 router bits and behold, some months later they were available.

Wow, those are quite cool. I still want a hand tool version, but those do solve some problems in my restoration process.

Jim Belair
09-12-2014, 8:36 AM
Those nanuk cases are $100-$500 a pop, so unlikely that they'd be used to pack a power tool. They're probably intended to get whatever is in them to WIA without it breaking.

New Veritas mystery tool.... $500

Hard sided case.... $200

Buzz in the WW community.... priceless

Tony Zaffuto
09-12-2014, 9:11 AM
I think it is a woodworking-trained robot that we all can buy to use all those tools we've accumulated in our basements to build all those items we've only dreamed about.

Zach Dillinger
09-12-2014, 9:13 AM
I think it is a woodworking-trained robot that we all can buy to use all those tools we've accumulated in our basements to build all those items we've only dreamed about.

If this robot came with an optional "sharpens tools automatically without me being involved" attachment, I'm in.

Phil Thien
09-12-2014, 9:14 AM
Buzz in the WW community.... priceless

I have to admit, I don't do a lot of hand-tool woodworking and even I'm kind of excited about the announcement.

Derek Cohen
09-12-2014, 9:19 AM

Tony .. you got it!

It's the Veritas Automaton with the new-look Rob ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Kempelen_chess1.jpg/719px-Kempelen_chess1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Weaver
09-12-2014, 9:23 AM
Tony .. you got it!

It's the Veritas Automaton with the new-look Rob ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Kempelen_chess1.jpg/719px-Kempelen_chess1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Put a Penguins Jersey on him and the transformation of the new and improved (due to the pens jersey) Rob will be complete.

Tony Zaffuto
09-12-2014, 9:26 AM
Think Rob would only buy in with an Ottawa jersey!

I do think we're getting close to what will be unveiled!

george wilson
09-12-2014, 9:32 AM
I think they finally found that the original chess playing Turk had a man who sneaked inside the case. He was able to see the chess pieces from below via the translucent chess board,and move them accordingly. Or am I wrong?

Hilton Ralphs
09-12-2014, 9:44 AM
Maybe it's a Veritas powered sharpener like the Tormek?

That would fit into the hand tool category.

Ryan Mooney
09-12-2014, 10:38 AM
I think they finally found that the original chess playing Turk had a man who sneaked inside the case. He was able to see the chess pieces from below via the translucent chess board,and move them accordingly. Or am I wrong?

You are correct (although I can't remember about the translucent part).

Derek Cohen
09-12-2014, 11:07 AM

George, that is the story as I recall. I wonder who Lee Valley have employed? There is a rumour that it could be David. Apparently they had to build on an annex to fit all his stones. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Weaver
09-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Stones, translucent? Is the man playing chess through a layer of novaculite?

george wilson
09-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Actually,they have located and purchased all of David's cast off old stones on Ebay. They are building an annex using his stones for building material.

And,to think of the incredible amount of trouble and ingenuity people have wasted trying to replicate the mythical chess playing mechanism that could beat all players!!!

David Weaver
09-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Well, it finally exists now (the mechanism that can beat all players), but I'll bet it doesn't look like the early attempters expected!

Steve Kang
09-12-2014, 2:03 PM
My guess is they'll be unveiling an expansion of their premium NX plane category.

daniel lane
09-12-2014, 3:09 PM
Actually,they have located and purchased all of David's cast off old stones on Ebay. They are building an annex using his stones for building material.

I will forevermore picture David sharpening his tools on the wall.

Harold Burrell
09-12-2014, 4:26 PM
I know what LV is coming out with!

Something that I will want...that I won't be able to afford. :(

Ryan Mooney
09-12-2014, 4:29 PM
Something that I will want...that I won't be able to afford. :(

Not entirely sure how that changes the situation from the current state of affairs in general though. They have a ton of stuff I want .. but ... Its easier to just pretend it doesn't all exist (and not read any thread discussing tools on here!).

David Weaver
09-12-2014, 4:57 PM
I will forevermore picture David sharpening his tools on the wall.

If they put any picture of me up, I think they'd draw red horns on it due to all of my talk about the cap iron.

Sean Hughto
09-12-2014, 5:31 PM
If they put any picture of me up, I think they'd draw red horns on it due to all of my talk about the cap iron.

Oh, that's not why.

David Weaver
09-12-2014, 5:34 PM
Oh, that's not why.

Well, among many things, I guess.

Kevin Harris
09-12-2014, 5:39 PM
Or a new line of programmable CNC handtools? I think the new kits was a good guess.

David Weaver
09-12-2014, 5:47 PM
Maybe a veritas powder metal tool printer, or bevel up shrinkey dinks. Somehow it has to start with them and end with us.

This is going to be less fun tomorrow after they announce what it is.

Frederick Skelly
09-12-2014, 9:24 PM
This is going to be less fun tomorrow after they announce what it is.

I was thinking the exact same thing! :)

daniel lane
09-13-2014, 4:18 AM
Somehow it has to start with them and end with us.

I don't know what the confusion is...it's OBVIOUSLY an invoice.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-13-2014, 6:27 AM
I don't know what the confusion is...it's OBVIOUSLY an invoice.

Darn, I already have the complete set of those!

...tick, tock, tick, tock...

Rob Lee
09-13-2014, 8:18 AM
Not long now...., as of 7:30, the boxes are no longer empty ( we weren't taking any chances).

Cheers,

Rob

Bruce Mack
09-13-2014, 8:55 AM
It evokes the New Year's countdown when I was a kid. That's why I sometimes buy lottery tickets, to conjure possibilities.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-13-2014, 11:26 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/11/tech/innovation/solar-storm/index.html?c=homepage-t

big solar storm hits earth at the same time. Coincidence? I think not.

John Stankus
09-13-2014, 11:39 AM
What? No countdown like Apple?

Gary Muto
09-13-2014, 11:59 AM
one minute to go...

Malcolm Schweizer
09-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Remind me to buy Rob a watch. 12:03, still waiting.

Marko Milisavljevic
09-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Is there nobody live blogging?!

Reinis Kanders
09-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Solar storm?

Gary Muto
09-13-2014, 12:08 PM
yeah, no kidding. Although it is only a little after 10:00 for me. What's up?

glenn bradley
09-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Remind me to buy Rob a watch. 12:03, still waiting.

He already has one. He got it out of the Lie Nielsen catalog :D

Still waiting . . . .

Oh wait! How do you keep a woodworker in suspense?

Hilton Ralphs
09-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Oh my gosh I can't believe it!

Incredible! Custom Bench Planes - very cool.

Lost for words.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Sweet! Well done.

Marko Milisavljevic
09-13-2014, 12:15 PM
custom like you can change tote colour, or custom like you submit your autocad drawing?

Gary Muto
09-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Neat concept.

Hilton Ralphs
09-13-2014, 12:17 PM
I already like the look of that 4-1/2, pretty sexy actually.

Gary Muto
09-13-2014, 12:19 PM
I already like the look of that 4-1/2, pretty sexy actually.

That was the one I customized actually. The only change for me was a higher angle frog.
I don't have any of the Veritas BD planes (all BU for me). I wonder if this is backwards compatible?

Marko Milisavljevic
09-13-2014, 12:20 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/customplane.aspx

Harold Burrell
09-13-2014, 12:26 PM
I was right!!!

As in, "something that I would want...that I cannot afford." :(

Harold Burrell
09-13-2014, 12:29 PM
I actually went through the process of customizing a plane (you know...pretending I could actually buy one) and I was surprised to see that it was not offered (that I could see) where you could purchase more than one frog angle at a time. Did I miss something?

Malcolm Schweizer
09-13-2014, 12:32 PM
I was looking for the same option- extra frogs. I have a 4 1/2 built with 55 degree frog, but thinking before I pull the trigger. I really need the pullshave more at the moment. Very well done, however. This is a great option.

Matthew N. Masail
09-13-2014, 12:34 PM
I was right!!!

As in, "something that I would want...that I cannot afford." :(

I here you, same here. have to hand it to LV those are really cool.

Marko Milisavljevic
09-13-2014, 12:42 PM
I'm curious to see how the design works in practice - ease and precision of on-the-fly adjustment, and how friendly toward being used with cap iron close to blade edge.

john zulu
09-13-2014, 12:46 PM
They have just released the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5c-jgOQAvY

customization for handplanes

Reinis Kanders
09-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Just bought #4 with large Stanley style tote and regular frog. Regular Stanley #4 always felt a bit awkward for me ( I am 6' 6'') will see how this one feels.
They have other totes and frogs available in the plane accessories part of the webpage.

Bruce Mack
09-13-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm curious to see how the design works in practice - ease and precision of on-the-fly adjustment, and how friendly toward being used with cap iron close to blade edge.

Exactly. How fiddly is it? It is a promotion of bevel down to pre-eminence, but has to compete with the LN line.

Phil Thien
09-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Kind of interesting. I don't have any of the high-end planes, but I can understand how this would appeal to those that do.

But here is the funny thing: I wonder how I'm suppose to pick the sizes of knobs and handles without having tried any. This would make going to one of the travelling woodworking shows beneficial because I suppose you'd be able to find those types and sizes that work best for your hands. Maybe next time I will do just that, and record that information should the day ever come that I want to purchase a high-end plane.

john zulu
09-13-2014, 1:01 PM
Customization is always a good thing when it comes to handplanes. Bevel up is popular due to it's blade configuration. This new release will provide the same benefits to bevel down.

As for the rest, need to wait and see the extra benefits.

Chris Griggs
09-13-2014, 1:03 PM
I've had a prototype of the 4 in my shop for several months. I'm away from home this weekend and don't have time to post many details at the moment, but when I get back to Philly I'll try to address questions people may have.

FWIW, I have the large Stanley tote on my prototype. It's great... I'm trying to convince them to make similar tote choices available on there BU line... I want one on my LAJ too.

David Weaver
09-13-2014, 1:04 PM
That's a good idea!! I like that it's BD with a cap iron, and you can get a stanley profile handle.

Malcolm Schweizer
09-13-2014, 1:05 PM
The fence would be nice for a jointer when edge jointing.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=72111&cat=1,41182,72240&ap=1

Malcolm Schweizer
09-13-2014, 1:08 PM
I've had a prototype of the 4 in my shop for several months. I'm away from home this weekend and don't have time to post many details at the moment, but when I get back to Philly I'll try to address questions people may have.

FWIW, I have the large Stanley tote on my prototype. It's great... I'm trying to convince them to make similar tote choices available on there BU line... I want one on my LAJ too.

I see they are selling the totes separate. Would they be interchangeable with other Veritas planes?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=72116&cat=1,41182,72240&ap=1

Augusto Orosco
09-13-2014, 1:16 PM
And extra frogs, knobs... man, this is going to be trouble!

Malcolm Schweizer
09-13-2014, 1:21 PM
Watch the "choosing your tote and knob" video. When he pushes down on the plane, is that flex I am seeing? Either it is flexing or his bench has a high spot under the plane.

Augusto Orosco
09-13-2014, 1:25 PM
The fence would be nice for a jointer when edge jointing.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=72111&cat=1,41182,72240&ap=1

Couod Those tapped holes also be used to add some sort of "hot dog" attachment for shooting... either shop made or made by Veritas?

Garrett Ellis
09-13-2014, 1:42 PM
I wonder if these will eventually take the place of their other bevel down planes? Or if they will maintain two price points for each size. Seems a bit redundant.

Marko Milisavljevic
09-13-2014, 2:25 PM
All parts can also be bought separately from the plane casting:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=72240&cat=51&ap=1

Hilton Ralphs
09-13-2014, 2:32 PM
and I see that they mention that the fence can be used with the shooter. I'm trying to figure out how this would work.

Shannon Brantley
09-13-2014, 2:38 PM
Great idea! It would be nice to be able to buy all of the tote and knob options with the plane and return what didn't jive with you. Even if not for a cash refund, store credit would work, too. As was mentioned, if you aren't at a hands-on event, it's guessing.

Kees Heiden
09-13-2014, 2:55 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! Lee Valley aknowledges the value of a capiron!

Frederick Skelly
09-13-2014, 3:38 PM
Very nice!

Now, how about that DADO PLANE Mr Lee ? ;)

Tony Shea
09-13-2014, 3:55 PM
This is def a neat idea. In practice with a cap iron I wonder how many will be actually ordering the higher angle frogs? Before the whole recent re-discovery of the cap iron this is something that I was really interested in with LN planes but now I am more than happy with just setting the cap iron really close to the edge. But in general I really like the shape and the extra handle options on this new line of planes. I will probably not be ordering one myself any time soon but think these will be a big hit.

Kees Heiden
09-13-2014, 4:32 PM
Just been reading the instructions, and I guess you need the plane in front of you to understand everything. It sure looks complex! I wonder how easy it is to assemble everything and how easy to adjust all parts to your liking. Especially how easy it is to set the chipbreaker for a fine setting. In the drawings it looks like they put a decent bevel angle on the chipbreaker, but it is not easy to see.

Well, time will tell. I'm sure there will be some reviews shortly. I'm afraid I won't be a customer though, because I am perfectly happy with my vintage planes.

allen long
09-13-2014, 11:22 PM
I only wish I wouldn't have to pay $40 to replace the ugly uncomfortable tote & knob on my scraping plane. If only these were available as an option when I bought it!

John Sanford
09-14-2014, 1:39 AM
If this robot came with an optional "sharpens tools automatically without me being involved" attachment, I'm in.

I'd settle for an automated sharpening robot, and skip on the optional woodworking modules. I'll butcher the wood and let the robot keep the tools sharp. (Hey Rob, this is your opportunity for a joint venture with Honda! )

Chris Griggs
09-14-2014, 10:51 AM
I see they are selling the totes separate. Would they be interchangeable with other Veritas planes?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=72116&cat=1,41182,72240&ap=1

Just quickly, as I am shortly getting on a plane to fly back to Philly (no, I'm not at WIA this weekend...my weekend was much less fun)

Anyway, no not without some additional parts. The BU planes sit on two threaded posted that go through the handle. The new BD planes have one thread post the goes through the handle and then a sorta short rod the extends an inch or so up into it. To put the new totes on the BU line you would need to remove one of the thread rods (i believe the rear one ) and replace it with some type of short post....even with that I'm not sure whether or not the holes would line up exactly. This is something Rob will need to chime in on for more clarity, but as it stands (unless I'm missing something) the answer is no, not quite..you they are not immediately adaptable to Veritas's other lines of planes.

Prashun Patel
09-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Am i the only person who is disappointed with this? I love veritas and lee valley, but this seems like pandering, not better tool making. A good plane is sharp, easy to adjust, and flat. The available customizable options just feel gimmicky to me and may result in a cool gift that feels perfect in the hand. I realize these planes are probably all objectively good as well, but i couldnt help being dissapointed with this innovation after having used and appreciated their previous innovations in tool design like the new tool steel, lateral adjustment set screws on planes, their honing jig, and others.

Shawn Pixley
09-14-2014, 1:01 PM
Prashun,

Conceptually, i am with you. What was appealing about this was the different tote & knob options. I don't care much for the LV standard tote's shape and angle. For my hand and my bench height, I prefer a bailey style tote.

Marko Milisavljevic
09-14-2014, 1:29 PM
They already make planes that are flat and easy to adjust. Sharp, obviously, is your job. Given that those basics are standard, why not try to refine other aspects?

What would you suggest they come up with to make a better bench plane?

Marko Milisavljevic
09-14-2014, 2:59 PM
I am guessing that angle of tote screw is too high with existing planes to retrofit a traditional style handle. It must be lower in new designs.

While you describe many of inconveniences of current planes, to improve any of those areas would require far too many compromises. I think you are kidding about adjustable length/width plane, at least until they invent adjustable width blade :)

I think we can safely assume planing action will be good. It remains to be seen how new planes work as far as ease of removal, disassembly and reassembly of blade/cap iron/lever cap. Any improvement in usability from traditional Stanley design would be improvement enough in my book. Whenever I reassemble Stanley bench plane, there is some amount of fiddling that could maybe be designed out.

I expected to hear more from opponents of Norris adjustment screw, since in arguments about bevel up vs down, convenience of having screw behind the frog often comes up.

Jeff Ranck
09-15-2014, 2:09 PM
I have one of their "old style" BD smoothers, and I love it. Pretty much the favorite I've used, but I tend to like a bit heavier plane. I don't find anything to dislike about the Norris adjustment screw, but maybe that is because I'm used to them. I use both the Norris and the Stanley type and find the Norris just great.

Mike Brady
09-15-2014, 9:08 PM
I'm totally neutral on the introduction of these planes since I have my bench planes and won't be investing in any more of them. A couple of things impress me though. First, is I am surprised that there is little discussion about the performance of these tools. Second, I dislike when companies introduce new and improved products to the audience that has supported them through thick and thin. Some will welcome the new toys and fill the classified section of the forums with their outdated ones. Another maker of better planes now is in their improved Type 3 version, saying nothing about the hardy souls who are left behind with their Types 1 & 2. How much value do you think there is in those earlier planes? Yet another maker introduces their product and makes it the same for decades without change. Those planes retain about eighty-five percent of their current selling price. That says a lot to me.

Brad Swanson
09-15-2014, 11:06 PM
I'm totally neutral on the introduction of these planes since I have my bench planes and won't be investing in any more of them. A couple of things impress me though. First, is I am surprised that there is little discussion about the performance of these tools. Second, I dislike when companies introduce new and improved products to the audience that has supported them through thick and thin. Some will welcome the new toys and fill the classified section of the forums with their outdated ones. Another maker of better planes now is in their improved Type 3 version, saying nothing about the hardy souls who are left behind with their Types 1 & 2. How much value do you think there is in those earlier planes? Yet another maker introduces their product and makes it the same for decades without change. Those planes retain about eighty-five percent of their current selling price. That says a lot to me.

Mike,
What that says to me is

1. You do not like technological advances or product improvements (if you use a cell phone or computer, I feel bad for you)
2. You look at your tools as investments.

Introducing a new line of planes does not mean the previous versions are obsolete. Hand planes are not electronic gadgets. Moore's law does not apply to neander hand tools. What baffles me is that a company listens to its customer's criticisms about an existing product (tote and knob shape for example), innovates to provide options, and yet still draws criticism.

Hilton Ralphs
09-16-2014, 4:26 AM
I dislike when companies introduce new and improved products to the audience that has supported them through thick and thin.

Let me guess;

You still watch TV on one of those old CRT screens?
You still drive a 1950s car without airbags, crumple zones or aircon ?
You still cut up logs to fuel the donkey for your daily shower?
You still think the world is flat?

Duane Meadows
09-16-2014, 8:06 AM
Brad and Hilton, these comments are most hilarious coming in a forum section for guys who prefer nearly century old hand tools to "modern machines"!:D Just sayin...

Malcolm Schweizer
09-16-2014, 8:12 AM
Brad and Hilton, these comments are most hilarious coming in a forum section for guys who prefer nearly century old hand tools to "modern machines"!:D Just sayin...

Ya gotta admit, that was funny right there. Well played. Just one thing- nearly a century old? A century is modern technology for us. Anything made after those new fangled steam engines is too fancy for us.

Harold Burrell
09-16-2014, 8:19 AM
Ya gotta admit, that was funny right there. Well played. Just one thing- nearly a century old? A century is modern technology for us. Anything made after those new fangled steam engines is too fancy for us.

Seriously? "True Neander" means building things with only sticks and rocks!

Hilton Ralphs
09-16-2014, 8:19 AM
Even the old time manufacturers were trying to improve their tools. Think Stanley #55 and those fabulous Transitional planes. :)

David Weaver
09-16-2014, 8:22 AM
Even the old time manufacturers were trying to improve their tools. Think Stanley #55 and those fabulous Transitional planes. :)

That's not a ringing endorsement!

Hilton Ralphs
09-16-2014, 8:25 AM
Seriously? "True Neander" means building things with only sticks and rocks!
Close.

a True Neander will get his wife to build things with sticks and rocks but only after she's cooked supper.

Mike Brady
09-16-2014, 9:29 AM
Mike,
What that says to me is

1. You do not like technological advances or product improvements (if you use a cell phone or computer, I feel bad for you)
2. You look at your tools as investments.

Introducing a new line of planes does not mean the previous versions are obsolete. Hand planes are not electronic gadgets. Moore's law does not apply to neander hand tools. What baffles me is that a company listens to its customer's criticisms about an existing product (tote and knob shape for example), innovates to provide options, and yet still draws criticism.

Right on both counts. If I wanted technology in my craft I would buy a Domino tool and chuck the mortise chisels. And yes, I view my tools as an investment. I don't want to buy them twice.

Jim Koepke
09-16-2014, 11:24 AM

There is little discussion about performance because no one here has yet taken delivery of a production model.

Second, companies have to improve, update or redesign their wares or their competition will. I am not sure about the WR problems before their improved Type 3 was shipped but have heard a few folks received replacement parts for ones that didn't work. The bigger question might be directed at LN when they finally realize the chip breaker needs to be able to reach the edge of the blade.

There is value in earlier planes from some makers. The early WR planes lost value among the woodworking community as soon as they passed a cash register.

On the other hand, many of the old Stanley/Bailey and Bedrock planes now sell for more than they did when they were new.

IMO, these planes represent an advancement in the tools available to woodworkers. To me the chip breaker set up looks a bit strange. Other than that not much can be said without having one in hand.

As far as performance goes, my expectation is it will be fantastic. Anything less will be the end of what looks to be a great product for those who can afford it.

jtk

Chris Friesen
09-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Right on both counts. If I wanted technology in my craft I would buy a Domino tool and chuck the mortise chisels. And yes, I view my tools as an investment. I don't want to buy them twice.

If your current hand planes work the way you want, why would you feel the need to buy new ones?

Chris Friesen
09-16-2014, 11:53 AM
I checked out the new planes in the store. The new totes/knobs are nice, the option of three different sizes and two tote angles should go a long way towards making sure people get a comfortable grip on the tool.

The sliding mouth means there is no need to adjust the frog front-to-back. The frog sits on machined surfaces front and back and is held down with two beefy screws. The suggested method of aligning the frog is to slide the mouth piece back until it meets with the frog, this ensures the frog is square to the mouth.

I didn't compare them side-by-side, but I think the blade alignment set-screws are wider than the ones on their other planes.

The cap iron fastens to the blade via two screws that go into a "blade carrier" that fits over the adjuster lug. This is a close fit for minimal backlash, but it's a bit fiddly when replacing the blade after sharpening.

It'd be nice to compare them side by side with their other bevel-down planes, but taken by themselves the new ones are very nice planes, certainly worthy of the Veritas brand.

David Weaver
09-16-2014, 11:59 AM
If your current hand planes work the way you want, why would you feel the need to buy new ones?

I suspect you are an independent consultant for our wives? :)

Even I fought the urge yesterday to buy one of the planes just out of curiosity, but the disease has lessened with me over time and I ultimately realized that I was setting it up like a stanley plane in the configurator. And I already have enough of those.

Rob Lee
09-16-2014, 8:32 PM
Hi -

Have been following this (and other) threads for a few days now, and am at a bit of a loss for words as to how to reply to some of the posts... so I'll just make a few observations and comments, and continue to watch the discussion.

This product release was a huge one for us - five completely new designs (and supporting parts etc.) released simultaneously. It represents 3 1/2 years of work, hundreds of thousands of dollars in tooling and fixtures, backed up by several months of production. Additionally, we had to create completely new order flow processes to support on demand machining and assembly, where the goods are sold in one firm, but the parts are produced in another. In total, there are just shy of 10,000 permutations at this time (and that will undoubtedly grow). All done in complete secrecy too. Backing up retail delivery of these planes, we have designed and built a unique delivery experience – training staff in all stores to assemble each plane in front of the customer – explaining how all components work, and are set up. In essence, a lesson is delivered with every plane.

This release also represents a move to bring the production of the wood components in-house – conversion of raw material, machining, and finishing. We have switched to a domestic torrefied-maple in place of bubinga. The commitment to manufacturing in wood from domestic material will bootstrap many other products, as we have now extended and enhanced our manufacturing capabilities.

We have integrated many of the features found across our line into these planes, creating a feature set that is unique – while extending a range of choices that is unparalleled in any production plane. Each of these planes has an adjustable throat, throat stop, side set screws, interchangeable frogs, choice of three knobs, choice of two handle styles in three sizes, an optional “slow” adjuster, and the capability to order any bed angle from 40 degrees, to 65 degrees in ½ degree increments. Each plane will also accept fences from the Jack Rabbet and Skew Rabbet planes. Blade shapes have been re-worked to minimize material, while still giving the same useable length found in traditional blade styles. All of this, at a price which is competitive with existing choices in our line, or others.

These planes can be used bevel down, with or without a chip breaker (cap iron), as the adjuster engages a repositionable blade carrier that is independent of chip breaker. It does not have to be removed for honing, and the carrier also registers the chip breaker – preserving the last location. If the bed angle is low – the blade can also be used bevel up, for high angle applications (though we do not claim this as a feature). These planes represent another distinct choice (or 10,000) in the range of choices available – either new or used.

I get that if you’re happy with whatever planes you have – there’s no reason to buy any one of these. There are few hand tools that are ever made redundant by newer versions. At the same time – newer versions of many tools have much to offer people who have yet to make a choice.

Cheers –

Rob

David Weaver
09-16-2014, 8:45 PM
Given the way things normally go on the internet Rob, I'd say that the reception has been pretty good.

It's nice to see an alternative that is straight and square that uses a cap iron. I've seen some negative opinions here or there about the cap iron being on the plane, but to each their own.

It gives a beginner (who will probably master the tight mouth sooner than understanding a cap iron) room to grow, and most importantly, for those of us who unloaded BUS planes, etc, solely because of the handle angle putting us in pain, it puts the handle that people have been begging for (the stanley profile) in their hands.

I'd suggest (and maybe I missed it), some pre-done configurators for the beginners. Some people will mire in indecision and not buy anything immediately and then ultimately not buy at all.
You could have something like:
*low bench stanley configuration (using a different term than stanley...unless you called it the stanley cup configuration or something to throw off those folks who abandoned us many years ago) - cap iron, 45 degrees, mid-height knob, stanley handle
*high bench stanley configuration - same as above with high bench LV style handle
* high angle single iron plane for low benches (55 degrees with a single iron and no cap iron and stanley profile handle)
* high angle single iron planes for high benches (same as above with straight up handle)

Given that beginners make up a large amount of the customer base at any given time and may not really grasp all of those things yet.

Rob Lee
09-16-2014, 8:56 PM
Hi David -

All good comments. We do have recommended configurations for each plane - though not for the handle, as that's really an individual choice. We blind tested handle shapes/styles with hundreds of people, and can only predict size preference based on the span on the user's hand across the palm.

Cap irons - no doubt in my mind that they have benefit - but they are not a panacea for all applications, or users. We,too, have hundreds of hours of video of a plane cutting on a test jig under varying conditions....

Our goal here is to let the customer make the choice - we want to enable them to use the plane however they want. Heck of a lot easier than trying to convert 'em to one method or another... :)

Cheers -

Rob

paul cottingham
09-16-2014, 9:02 PM
Rob Lee, any plans to make the Stanley style handles available for existing planes? I would love to buy a few of these, but a divorce would be far too expensive. So new handles may be a good compromise. (Unless you are planning to implement a trade up program! Then I'm all in.)

Rob Lee
09-16-2014, 9:12 PM
Rob Lee, any plans to make the Stanley style handles available for existing planes? I would love to buy a few of these, but a divorce would be far too expensive. So new handles may be a good compromise. (Unless you are planning to implement a trade up program! Then I'm all in.)

It's under consideration, but have to get ahead of the curve on what we're doing now. On the list....

Cheers,

Rob

Marko Milisavljevic
09-16-2014, 9:20 PM
Hi -
These planes can be used bevel down, with or without a chip breaker (cap iron), as the adjuster engages a repositionable blade carrier that is independent of chip breaker. It does not have to be removed for honing, and the carrier also registers the chip breaker – preserving the last location. If the bed angle is low – the blade can also be used bevel up, for high angle applications (though we do not claim this as a feature). These planes represent another distinct choice (or 10,000) in the range of choices available – either new or used.

Congrats on this development, I think it is the most interesting thing that happened in the world of hand planes in a few decades.

All internet babbling aside, few of us know the most important thing: how does it plane and what is usability and ergonomics?

First, I suggest adding a # 6 size since I'd like to buy one... second, I suggest changing your website marketing to better explain what you just wrote above, so potential buyers understand what are design improvements you attempted to make it a better plane, aside from the fact that we can order different handles, or bed angle - not to take anything away from that - but I think most are interested, if I get this plane, what exactly you believe better about the tool than a traditional plane of the same size.

I don't quite understand how "adjuster engages a repositionable blade carrier that is independent of chip breaker", but it sounds like it would be nice :) I only see chipbreaker, blade, frog, norris adjuster and lever cap. What is the carrier?

Also, since you started it, do tell more about using it upside down.

Finally, are samples available in retail stores for messing around with? I'll pass by Vancouver location on Thursday.

Marko Milisavljevic
09-16-2014, 9:39 PM
To attempt to answer my own question... I think blade carrier is a little gizmo that connects the blade to norris adjuster and on http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/customplane.aspx?c= can be seen as just barely floating above norris adjuster. I think it precisely fits inside the circular opening on bottom of the blade, letting you put the blade back with same depth setting - knowing how LV does things, I have high hopes that this will go a long way toward eliminating post-assembly fiddling.

paul cottingham
09-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Rob Lee, am I to understand that the blade can be used bevel down or bevel up in any of these planes? Or with or without a chipbreaker? I must be misunderstanding. If it is the case, that is very cool indeed.

Shawn Pixley
09-17-2014, 12:37 AM
Rob, I am sorry that we (I?) were critical of your new line. That wasn't my intention. Clearly, there is a lot of versatility in the new line. Maybe I didn't get the full range of the product through the videos. LV makes a high quality product line of which I have several items. I'll go back and relook at the videos. I really do appreciate the new totes/knobs. For me, a large, more angled tote is very desireable.

Clearly, you are driving continuous improvement in LV. That is expected and what differentiates you from others. The internet is a tough forum. Keep up the good work.

Marko Milisavljevic
09-17-2014, 1:47 AM
Me again... found instructions tucked away on page 2 of customization process - it is the little "Instr" link next to each plane picture. Have not been able to locate that link anywhere else - here is direct link http://www.leevalley.com/en/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=72233

Kees Heiden
09-17-2014, 3:36 AM
Rob, I really suggest you alter that manual where the capiron distance is discussed. 1/64" is just outside the range of usefull settings, especially when the capiron bevel is rather low. When you decide to put a number in a manual it should be correct.

Overall I am pretty positive about these planes as they appear to be on first sight. I'm not a fan of the typical LV looks, but that is my problem. A complete new range of handplanes from a major manufacturer is just plain good news.

Rob Lee
09-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Congrats on this development, I think it is the most interesting thing that happened in the world of hand planes in a few decades.

All internet babbling aside, few of us know the most important thing: how does it plane and what is usability and ergonomics?

First, I suggest adding a # 6 size since I'd like to buy one... second, I suggest changing your website marketing to better explain what you just wrote above, so potential buyers understand what are design improvements you attempted to make it a better plane, aside from the fact that we can order different handles, or bed angle - not to take anything away from that - but I think most are interested, if I get this plane, what exactly you believe better about the tool than a traditional plane of the same size.

I don't quite understand how "adjuster engages a repositionable blade carrier that is independent of chip breaker", but it sounds like it would be nice :) I only see chipbreaker, blade, frog, norris adjuster and lever cap. What is the carrier?

Also, since you started it, do tell more about using it upside down.

Finally, are samples available in retail stores for messing around with? I'll pass by Vancouver location on Thursday.

Hi Marko -

A few answers....

Ergonomics and useabilty - as you would expect - we would say excellent....! The only observation I will offer, is that the weight distrubution is slightly more forward on these planes than our other bevel down designs, as the moveable toe requires more mass in different places. I do beleive the overal center of gravity is lower though. It's a different feel that leads me to prefer the mushroom knob. YMMV!

Sizes - we're not done - but not actively working on other sizes - as we have other product in the the pipeline. We will be extending this line, but the five sizes of the initial release cover a broad range of application.

The carrier is a small sliding collar that attaches to the blade. The chipbreaker slips over it, and is fastened to it - it's an iterpretation of the old "stay-set" design.

Using the blade upside down - well, we've done it, and it works for a very narrow range of bed angles/bevel angles..... a 40 degree bed with a blade bevel-up and honed at 25 degrees gives a 65 degree effective cut angle. Try it with a regular plane (45+25 = 70) - it does work. While there's nothing wrong with a 65 degree or higher effective cut angle - a blade bevel angle of 25 degrees is a bit low for durability...

Yes - retail stores are fully stocked (or started out that way....!) and they will be glad to let you try the planes!

Cheers -

Rob

paul cottingham
09-17-2014, 2:46 PM
Seriously want to put one of these to wood. May have to think about selling some planes. The jointer and the jack epecially.

Frank Martin
09-17-2014, 3:00 PM
I am not even remotely a neander woodworker, but have nearly all of Veritas BU planes as well as quite a few of the specialized ones as I find them useful where power tools are not the best (i.e., sometimes need to take the tool to the work or small adjustments, etc.). However, I still think these new planes represent a significant step forward in design and ease of use. I may even consider buying one (don't really need it, but still…) to try it out. I congratulate Rob's team for pushing the envelope here.

Jeff Ranck
09-17-2014, 3:11 PM
Seriously considering selling my existing LV BD smoother for a shot at one of these smoothers (even though it is my current favorite).