PDA

View Full Version : What version of OS (and CorelDraw) are you using with your Chinese laser?

John Noell
09-09-2014, 1:59 PM
As I prepare for the arrival of my Shenhui G460, I am wondering what most people are using, XP, Win 7 (32 or 64 bit?), or Win 8 (32 or 64?). Also, what version of CorelDraw are you using?

Graham Taylor
09-09-2014, 2:16 PM
I was advised to get the latest version so that there is backward compatibility for opening files - if you get X6 You may not be able to open files created in X7 (not sure about this as mine hasn't arrived yet)

John Bion
09-09-2014, 2:16 PM
Hi John,
I have Lasercut 5.3, which as I understand you will not have with your Shenhui, however there may be overlaps between them. Windows Vista was a nightmare for me (a very bad nightmare for quite some time); Windows 7 (64 bit) and XP have both worked without any problems at all. I have CD X3 and X6, neither of them would run in conjunction with Lasercut, so I simply export drawing as a DXF file and import into Lasercut, no problems. There are some differences between drawings for Western lasers and Chinese lasers however. A Chinese laser reads any thickness of line as a cut as opposed to an engrave for thicker lines on a Western machine. For raster engraving, ensure all your lines are joined correctly and that text is converted to curves before saving as a dxf. Fill means nothing to a Chinese laser, engraving power/speed etc is input by line colour.
Hope this helps,
Kind Regards, (another) John

John Noell
09-09-2014, 5:29 PM
Very helpful. So all lines = cuts. Fill means nothing. Ouch! That would seem to mean that any of the hundreds of old files from my Epilog days that I want to play with will need considerable tweaking. Good think I'm retired and have time to play! Thank you.

George M. Perzel
09-09-2014, 5:36 PM
Hi John;
I'm running Win7 64 bit and Corel X4 with Laserwork 5.6.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

George M. Perzel
09-09-2014, 5:41 PM
John;
Not a big deal-save the engraved stuff as a bitmap and the cut stuff as a AI file. Import them both into Lasercut with bitmap first.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Nicolas Silva
09-09-2014, 5:55 PM
I am at version X5 and will probably stay there. I rarely get customer files that are vectorized so I'll be able to import a bitmap with any version for tracing. But, since corel looked like they were going to a 'subscription' fee on the other newer versions, I don't like that so will never upgrade. I'm going to start using Aspire for my vector stuff so CD might just get relegated to being a glorified print driver. Cheers!

David Somers
09-09-2014, 6:53 PM
John,

I am running an Apple with Mavericks on it. I have a current copy of VMware Fusion on it, and have virtual machines with Win XP, 7 and 8. Corel Suite V 6 and 7 are currently loaded on Win 7. And also have copies of Inkscape and Sketchup to play with. Also Adobe CS4 with Illustrator on it. And I will probably end up with Vectic Vcarve Pro for use on a CNC. And yes, I practice self flagellation too. Only with wet noodles though. (you have to work harder with a wet noodle for it to be effective) <grin>

Now....All I need is a laser? <grin>

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of your new laser John!!! Fingers are tightly crossed!!

D

Clark Pace
09-09-2014, 8:05 PM
Corel 9, sometimes inkscape and sometimes corel x13

pete hagan
09-09-2014, 9:06 PM
Hi John,
I'm on a 64bit Win 7 running LaserCut 5.1. I have Corel X3, all the Adobe suite CC14. I export the Corel file as an Adobe Illustrator v7 file, import into LaserCut, validate size (TIP) and then use the control panel in LaserCut to define what I want to cut or engrave and adjust power / speed appropriately. I could probably upgrade lasercut if I could get a new dongle. Good luck. This is a great forum for questions.
Pete

Martin James
09-10-2014, 8:56 AM
X6, Windows 8 64, on a current macbook via parallels, but. The laserworks plug doesnt work with windows 8, so dont waste days trying to install, you have to save then import to laderworks. I use photoshop for the design and vectors.
m

Deane Donaghy
09-11-2014, 4:56 AM
Win 7 32 Bit, Corel X6, Lasermate 5.2 all run as Administrator.